Author Topic: Gave 5 1/2 month old some cereal, cramps all night  (Read 7520 times)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: Gave 5 1/2 month old some cereal, cramps all night
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 02:01:11 am »
Okay....tbh I think you may need to just stop the cereal, and stick with breast milk. Leave the milk in your diet given you already have had some and keep with the probiotics. Maybe her gut is just in overdrive for mths abx and then as its fragile already introducing solids could have just upset it more YK.

If after 3/4 days things are the same, worse etc then revisit ... Is really too hard to know otherwise with so much going on. Just my 2 c :)

Poor poppet :-*
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Dani's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 02:07:27 am »
Also, since she eats much quicker now, sometimes five mins, she pukes A LOT. I can't imagine she's able to keep in much milky if its coming out, esp since she's done eating so fast.

Hi zacsmummee

Well,its hard to say if its the introduction of milk and or cereal,or if it's the abx...

As for stopping the reflux med, not surer yet what to do, doc says not too  ???

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 02:17:15 am »
hon for now I'd work on getting her back on a baseline as Sara said. then you can try things one at a time and you'll have a better idea what's causing problems.

so I'd definitely give no more cereal, and I'd continue with the probiotic - I'd also make sure it's a really good one. It's likely the strong abx caused an imbalance in the gut flora (which was potentially already irritated) and it will take a bit of time and the proper products to get it back in order.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 02:22:34 am by *Elise* »
Elise

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 02:41:18 am »
Totally agree with Sara and Elise - picking a consistent approach and sticking to it to restore a baseline will help things settle down or at least help you figure out what's going on - less variables changing.  Definitely stick with feeding one side per feed at this point.

Just to help rule out (or in) oversupply as a contributor to this picture:
1. What was her poo like while you were feeding 10min each side?
2. When did you have the surgery and have to pump to re-establish supply? (how old was your DD?)
3. What's your letdown like?
4. Any behaviours relevant to any particular part of a feed - eg. arching, coughing/spluttering, clamping?
5. Is she fully draining each breast in a 24hr period?

FWIW, if you have a fast letdown or oversupply, she could be getting more milk than fits in her tummy in that 5min feed. With oversupply, you also have the risk of more plugged ducts, etc. unless you ensure each breast is fully drained before switching (that can mean feeding off the same breast for two or more feeds, then switching).

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 02:54:29 am »
Oh I don't mean ditch the meds yet. Just that really, to be on them if no reflux symptoms for that long would concern me and IME with peds they like to get them off or at least attempt weans ASAP ;) x
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Dani's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 03:16:05 am »
Thanks zacsmummee....I see what you mean. Id prefer to have her off of them soon, we have to play it by ear and see what happens.

Becj86, poop was the same when feeding from both sides.
My surgery was when she was three and half months old, so two months ago. She had a very hard time taking a bottle.
I hardly ever notice a let down. I never leak or have to wear pads.  If I pump, I can get about two ounces from one breast in say ten minutes.
No odd behaviours during a feed. She gobbles up milk like crazy. She does have a powerful,suck, in fact her dr noted that too.
I think she drains breast thoroughly. I do get frequent milk duct blockages though, thus my reason for having to pump. If i don't I get mastitis. 
If I feed from same breast for two feeds, i worry the other breast will plug again, as happens often.

Ok ill work on one thing at a time.  Restoring a baseline, great advice! 

Offline Dani's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 03:20:43 am »
Elise, I've got her on bio Gaia , it's one of the best.  Ill restart it tomorrow. Hubby had to go to store to get some, such a tiny bottle is so costly, must be good stuff!

Thank you !

Great advice Inbalance and Kara...probiotic it is!  I hope this helps to,restore the gut flora.  Poor lamb.

Xoxo

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 03:22:39 am »
poop was the same when feeding from both sides.
The same - green? Continuous green poo can be a sign of foremilk overload (not enough hindmilk) in a breastfed baby. Is it the frequency that started with the abx?

I do get frequent milk duct blockages though,
This kind of suggests she's not draining the breast fully in my experience. I know some people struggle with some ducts just being harder to empty due to anatomy though.

Another way to help with both getting more fat earlier in the feed and preventing plugged ducts is to massage the breast near the chest wall before a feed to help release the fat from the walls of the ducts (and any little blockages that may be there too).

Offline Dani's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 03:29:28 am »
Yes the green poop started when she started the abx.  They've been out of her system now for four days, I thought her gut and poop would be better by now but by the sounds of it abx can do a number on their wee tummies.

Ill def try massaging. It's so strange, usually only happens in the left one.

Thanks, becj86!

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2012, 20:28:48 pm »
Have you seen any improvement, Dani's mum?
*** Amanda ***

Offline Dani's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2012, 03:49:14 am »
Hi Fiver!

Not much improvement with her guts. She's been off abx for almost ten days and her poop is dark mucus green and she's got a lot of it. I'm hoping the probiotic works soon. 

I've still got her just on breast milk, not going to reintroduce solids until her guts are back to normal.

The most difficult part now we are facing is getting her to sleep long periods. She is the cat nap queen.  eASY has gone out the window.  I'm driving her around now, that's the only way she will actually sleep.  I know it's bad but we are so desperate.

Thanks for your concern, it means a lot in such a difficult time  :-[

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2012, 03:53:30 am »
I'm driving her around now, that's the only way she will actually sleep

If it makes you feel better, I did this with my 2 year old just this week ;)

Offline Dani's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2012, 04:04:23 am »
Thanks, Kara!  8)

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2012, 14:39:50 pm »
(((hugs))) Dani's mom. It can take a bit for her gut to heal, if you don't have any improvement in one more week I'd see a doctor.

Also when there is gut injury it is not rare that LO's will develop temporary intolerances - their digestive system just may not be able to digest some things until it is fully healed.
Elise

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2012, 22:13:55 pm »
Not much improvement with her guts. She's been off abx for almost ten days and her poop is dark mucus green and she's got a lot of it. I'm hoping the probiotic works soon.  I've still got her just on breast milk, not going to reintroduce solids until her guts are back to normal.

Hi there - did you leave milk in your diet or take it back out?