Author Topic: With or without added Omega 3 and Omega 6?  (Read 1897 times)

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
With or without added Omega 3 and Omega 6?
« on: December 20, 2012, 01:20:32 am »
Not sure where this belongs so feel free to move.

So we have finally decided to try DS on regular cow's milk formula soon. The nutritionnist and gastro doctor have recommended Similac Go & Grow as it is good for his condition (he has an enzyme deficiency which makes it hard (impossible) for him to digest sugar and starch). I have the choice between one that is with added Om3 and Om6 and one without, and was wondering if anyone knows if the added Om3 and Om6 can be harder to digest? Especially for little tummies? Or does it have any added benefit on the digestive process?

http://similac.ca/en/products/similac_gogrow_step2/

http://similac.ca/en/products/similac_gogrow_step2_omega3_omega6/

Elise

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: With or without added Omega 3 and Omega 6?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 04:59:42 am »
I have read a few things over the last 2 years that state it can make it more difficult to digest with the 3's and 6's added in...

I did give DD GoodStart with 3/6 until she was about 6 months old, then stopped...   I really think the 3/6 thing is really to scam parents ;)  Most formulas have very little of either in them considering the rec amounts ;)  Does M eat fish at all?

Offline ENMS

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 13:47:28 pm »
Thanks Kara that's exactly what I wanted to know. :-*

There's no harm in starting without the om3 and 6 and I'll re-assess later.

I wouldn't want to mix things up and have him react to the omega and think it was the milk.
Elise

Offline Amanda5555

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 12
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 14:31:41 pm »
Hey Elise

Checking out your post  :).  Personally if there is an option of without 3/6 I would try that first like you are thinking. One thing at a time and the less added ingredients the better. I too think its a scam. Also personally as a person who is allergic to scaled fish I cannot have most of the things with 3/6 in them as usually they are sourced from fish. I used to be able to eat tuna and seafood but even that seems to bother me lately. With my fish allergy I get itchy palate (roof of my mouth and tongue) and with some kinds of fish i get hives on my chin. No other outward signs or rashes.  I would go with plain no 3/6 to start at least until you trial fish.  Just another opinion for your consideration.  :)

Offline ENMS

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 14:44:41 pm »
Kara - forgot to say, no M is not eating fish right now - due to allergy risk, but if we can successfully intro milk we'll try eggs and fish in the next few months.

Amanda- thank you :-*. I didn't think of the potential allergic reaction since it's derived from fish. Definitely without then. And you're probably both right - it looks like a scam. Ah the things these companies try to make us buy! :(
Elise

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 15:40:53 pm »
Totally a fear tactic!  They got me  for a few months - buggers ;)