Author Topic: Extended Nursing Support Thread Part 5  (Read 284614 times)

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Extended Nursing Support Thread Part 5
« Reply #150 on: June 17, 2013, 08:51:12 am »
If you're anything like me, you'll pick up right where you left off. From what I understand, it takes a while for the supply to go when you've been feeding this long.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #151 on: June 17, 2013, 10:24:41 am »
ah- nice! That would be good....

Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #152 on: June 17, 2013, 18:21:32 pm »
What Bec said.  I'm taking part in a longitudinal study by Jack Newman on how long the body continues to produce milk after cessation of feeding.  There may not be much there, but I'm still getting out a little 5 months later, so reckon supply will be ok after 2 days, it's whether or not he'll want to go back to feeding :-\
*** Amanda ***

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #153 on: June 17, 2013, 20:56:23 pm »
it's whether or not he'll want to go back to feeding

this doesnt worry me that much... its more if he wanted to and there was nothing there
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #154 on: June 17, 2013, 21:07:02 pm »
You'll be good then :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #155 on: June 20, 2013, 11:10:51 am »
so all is fine! although i'm fairly worried about eventually stopping :-\ On the third day things started getting pretty sore- and then by the time i spent the evening with hamish i was ready to bust!! :o Although DH did suggest that hamish may not be interested anymore- he was- no problem there... Cue the 5 year old having a feed before school ::)
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline becj86

« Reply #156 on: June 20, 2013, 12:10:03 pm »
On the third day things started getting pretty sore- and then by the time i spent the evening with hamish i was ready to bust!!
Me too. Just don't stop it cold turkey ;)

TBH, DS is reducing the amount he feeds on his own - feeds are getting shorter and less frequent quite slowly. Provided DH keeps his mouth shut and doesn't say that L's getting too big for milk or I'm going to have to wean soon, L continues on that path. Every now and then DH says something and L feeds a lot more.

He was BFing his doll on the way home from the park this afternoon... could be interesting :-\

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #157 on: June 20, 2013, 12:26:36 pm »
That's what i'm hoping- that DS will slowly reduce. If i can be bothered at some point i might drop the morning feed- but to be honest, i've actually never had to work at dropping a feed, so i don't really want to bother! I'm clearly a lazy person...

Has DS eased up on that stuff? I know you were saying that your DHs family was having an impact on his thinking...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline becj86

« Reply #158 on: June 20, 2013, 19:58:23 pm »
He's been quiet on that front for a while apart from one comment that L is getting too big for milk when we last visited the IL's.  I explain to him what happens when he says things like that but it seems not to make a difference.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #159 on: June 20, 2013, 21:25:18 pm »
::)
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #160 on: June 21, 2013, 02:53:33 am »
::)
I agree.  Glad to hear things are mostly going ok though! :)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #161 on: July 07, 2013, 23:32:42 pm »
Wow- I tell you what- I thought that i was considered mad for feeding past 1 year, but if you are feeding past 2 years- you are CLEARLY a mad woman!!! :o As in the family and friends ALL think that it's a bit much!! I've decided that i'm just going to have to say to people that i don't do it anymore to avoid people thinking i'm breastfeeding an 8 year old!!

HOWEVER- i was thinking i'd start to cut out the night feed, as it isn't actually my intention to keep the feeding going until he starts schooland i thought i'd start to reduce it. The night is the main one that people see. (Not that this should be a consideration- but it is! I just reckon i can keep the morning going in the privacy of our own home, but the night people see when they're over...)

So last night i tried the 'when daddy does stories we have no milk' thing- expecting a battle!! So we had a bit of 'oh MILK!!' and then that was it!! Sound like a good way to proceed?
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline becj86

« Reply #162 on: July 08, 2013, 08:50:15 am »
If he'll go for it, sounds like a good plan, Katy :)

L must be feeling a bit crook - maybe the same stomach bug DH has... he has been asking for milk more often lately and been super-cuddly too. I'm wanting to wean now though, so thought maybe I join the gym and go after dinner and leave DH to put L to bed :P I know L is fine without the BF when I'm not here and he's really NOT ok without it if I'm here. Getting through any NW's that happen though will be harder as DH won't get up.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #163 on: July 08, 2013, 20:16:55 pm »
Bec, Would DH not even get up if you said it would help wean? He is desperate for you to wean isn't it? You are kinder than I am letting him get out of all NWs!

Katy, I can't believe people are so rude as to comment on your BFing H! Can you just feed him upstairs before putting him to bed if you don't want anyone seeing? Sorry you feel that way but I know what you mean. People who haven't experienced it are often very ignorant. I don't tend to mention it unless people as me. Luckily I have found a few mamas at play group who also fed/are feeding 1 or 2yos. I swear one who has a DS just younger than Colby is trying to outdo me by feeing him longer ::) she almost seems disappointed when I say I am still feeding him. Her DS hadly eats solid food at 21mo and is on the boob day night apparently and I think she likes to be seen as the martyr who is *still* having to feed a toddler. ::)

I am keen to wean soon but not willing to actively do it if it involves tears, which is will. I'd really like to wean the morning feed now. He skips it if DH gets him up so I will try to encourage that. Difficult to do that when DH is up and leaving for work early though.

We are also doing a midday feed which he skips if we are out and a BT feed which he only misses if I am out which has only happened a handful of times since he turned one. I get really uncomfortable and somewhat engorged if I miss both the morning and midday feed. I can never pump one side until empty and whenever I have missed a day or two of feeding I always get a blocked duct that doesn't clear until I feed LO and then it is gone in an instant. Worried that will be a problem when I wean for good but maybe not if I do it very gradually.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #164 on: July 08, 2013, 20:23:08 pm »
I am keen to wean soon but not willing to actively do it if it involves tears, which is will.

Me too Ali, exact same situation/number of feeds. Ready to start winding down (she's nearly 21 months) but no idea how we're going to accomplish that when any suggestion of skipping any nursing is met with complete heartbreak. She's not OK with skipping milk if DH gets her up, unless I'm not at home, but will go down at bedtime without if I'm out - but that basically never happens.