Author Topic: Extended Nursing Support Thread Part 5  (Read 284575 times)

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Extended Nursing Support Thread Part 5
« Reply #285 on: January 03, 2014, 20:36:44 pm »
I told L it hurt and he weaned shortly after that of his own accord, Solene.

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline weaver

*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #288 on: January 10, 2015, 20:40:01 pm »
Yikes. I read about her a while ago and there was another story about a 12yo still bf in a cinema queue. I find it hard to picture. Kids are having kids at that age these days. I was pretty keen to stop at 2yo with both of mine.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 21:34:32 pm by *Ali* »

Offline newkidontheblock

• Showing Appreciation 42
« Reply #289 on: March 28, 2015, 10:30:36 am »
Hi ladies. I'm looking for some advice regarding extended nursing. I hope it is fine to ask directly here. If not, please let me know and I will post on the board.

So far, I have hoped to nurse E for another few years. I hope to still accomplish this and that is why I needed an opinion. Right now she is nursing 3-4 times a day and I am pumping twice. I have to rock/bounce/walk for her to nurse. I am considering nursing at bedtime & then offering a bottle of expressed milk. I have done this the past 3 days and she has taken 6oz extra. Very unusual. Do you think that by doing this I am setting myself up for failure in the long run? I am seriously considering stopping the BT nursies after she completes a year because it seems to affect her self settling if she is not absolutely satisfied. Just looking for a IYE point of view, please.

Offline weaver

« Reply #290 on: March 28, 2015, 14:43:44 pm »
Do you think that by doing this I am setting myself up for failure in the long run?
Why do you think that lovey?  The thing is that bottles are really easy to drink, so generally they will guzzle them down reasonably happily.  Perhaps not read too much into that?

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #291 on: March 28, 2015, 17:29:53 pm »
Agreed, Annie. The first two times I offered was because of 1 nap days and she was so tired by then. But normally, after nursing well, she would just refuse or take 1 or 2 oz. Today I pumped after putting her in bed and got 1 oz total from both sides, which means she did eat.

What I meant by that statement was, if I offer a bottle but only after nursing her myself, could it have a disastrous effect on my supply? Has anyone here nursed well beyond a year while offering a bottle too?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #292 on: March 29, 2015, 20:48:06 pm »
If you are expressing the milk to give her then you are still sending the message to your body to make milk so it shouldn't adversely affect your supply.

Is distraction the reason why she needs cajoling to nurse? Have you tried feeding in the still dark nursery when she has just woken?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #293 on: March 30, 2015, 02:13:09 am »
She does get distracted, which is why we nurse only in her room with lights off. And I  feed when she wakes in the morning and afternoon but no difference. She's not a very sleepy baby. I think it might simply be age related. So much development, so much to do and see that nursing seems to be low priority. I need a plan to stop it though. She is too heavy. I think I'll post on the main board about it. Maybe someone has experienced this.

Thanks ladies. I'm going to try to hold off on the nightly bottle. Maybe A bit worried that something is wrong with me at the moment leading to the dip in supply

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #294 on: January 01, 2016, 19:55:41 pm »
I just realised I've made it to being an extended breastfeeder for the third time :) DD just turned 1yo last month and is still going strong. She usually has 3-4 BFs in the day and usually one at night too. Sometimes the NF is 5.30-6am (and replaces the morning feed) and sometimes it is earlier. I still love BFing and we have some lovely cuddly times. I love settling down for the BT feed :)

Anyone else currently BFing a toddler?

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #295 on: January 01, 2016, 22:51:15 pm »
Congratulations, Ali!

Offline weaver

« Reply #296 on: January 02, 2016, 21:10:30 pm »
That's brilliant Ali! I'm green with envy :)

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #297 on: January 02, 2016, 21:39:57 pm »
Still bfing Dd2 (at wu in the morning and at BT).  She'll be 2 in January. Never really intended to BF for this long (stopped bfing dd1 at 18 mos) but dd2 always asks for it and I haven't really had a reason to stop.  Dd1 never asked for it and didn't bat an eyelid when I stopped offering at 18 mos.

Currently thinking to continue bfing for rest of winter (the cough and cold season) and think about stopping in the spring.  She's currently cutting the first of her 2nd yr molars and is in a v SA/clingy/mummy phase so prob not best time for stopping now anyway.

I enjoy bfing but think I'm ready to stop fairly soon.

What do your boys get up to while you're doing the BT BF Ali? Dd1 watches CBeebies stuff downloaded on the iPad... :-\ not ideal right before her bt...
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #298 on: January 03, 2016, 13:27:23 pm »
They are usually in bed. We put them down at 7 and then I go into my room to feed DD. Luckily, more often than not, DH will have just got in from work and he makes sure they settle if they mess around or whatever. If I'm home alone I usually talk to them through the monitor but they are pretty good at going to sleep after a quick chat between themselves.  They share a room so have company.

Offline Kimberlina

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #299 on: January 06, 2016, 17:52:09 pm »
Thought I would jump on here! It's my first time "extended" nursing (my DS1 and I only managed 2.5 weeks, so this is magic!) and we are still going... reasonably... strong!

We have "milkies" about twice a day - first thing in the morning and usually late afternoon (DS2 will only let my husband put him to bed...). Is that about right? I'm worried that maybe he isn't getting enough? I think my production has dropped a bit...
♥ Kim