Author Topic: Extended Nursing Support Thread Part 5  (Read 284573 times)

Offline Elisanah

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: Extended Nursing Support Thread Part 5
« Reply #315 on: April 29, 2016, 06:04:20 am »
That sounds really similar to me Trimbler, it went on for two months before I decided to stop taking it as we're hoping to ttc soon and wanted to get my body back to normal. When  I stopped I had a normal period (for me) but am now nearly a week overdue - so who knows what's going on! Not sure whether it's my body recovering from the pill or the fact I'm still breastfeeding?

On a related note - i was wondering whether extended nursing can affect being able to conceive? I know it isn't a fail safe method of contraception but can it still have an effect? I still BF at least 4xdaily - twice in the day and then whenever she wakes. I had been wanting to wean at night but my husband has been unwell for a few months so I haven't really had the energy for that battle! But I'm wondering whether I need to reduce the feeds before ttc?

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #316 on: April 29, 2016, 20:46:27 pm »
If you're ovulating (menstruating signals that's happening), BF really shouldn't make that much of a difference for TTC, I think - that's why its not a great contraceptive.

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #317 on: May 03, 2016, 23:24:15 pm »
Hmm you've stopped the pill in order to ttc... Pg already, perhaps? ;)

Well I just stopped keeping track of it all, had a welcome break recently but can't say how long it was, light bleeding again now... Still BF twice a day, although she never likes the left side when snotty or teething or the wind's blowing in the wrong direction... Starting to wonder when I'm planning to stop now :P I'm sure by this age, DS had dropped the morning one of his own accord and was getting patchy as to whether he wanted the BT one, whereas DD is usually still keen on both. DS finally told me "no Mummy milk" at 25mo and that was it, so that's not far now really for DD, but I think she'll continue longer, and I think I'm happy for that, no plans to deliberately wean her just yet, but perhaps i won't feel the same way in a year's time :P Who else is still here? Anyone have a weaning age in mind, or just wanting to continue until LO no longer wants it, whenever that may be? Still enjoying those snuggles ;)

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #318 on: May 05, 2016, 08:23:35 am »
Who else is still here?
me :)

DD2 BFs at BT (after bath, before stories) and at WU

thinking of dropping the BT BF..  maybe this weekend..

But the benefits of the morning BF for me (a much more relaxed and less abrupt start to the day!) are meaning I'm reluctant to drop it for now. 

She always asks for the morning BF and expects the evening one too.  But I chatted to her about it the other day and she said she'd be happy with milk in a cup at BT. 
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline trimbler

« Reply #319 on: May 06, 2016, 19:53:22 pm »
Agree with the more relaxed start to the day :) although I'd probably be more inclined to drop that one as it would mean one less thing to do in the morning before getting everyone out - currently I'm sleeping in the living room before working days so that I can get myself dressed and have breakfast before waking her at the last possible minute to BF etc :P

She will take milk in a cup though, I've stopped pumping completely now and she just gets a2 or almond milk in a cup from DH when I'm not around - I had to leave before everyone else got up and return home after BT one day recently, and I'm told she was fine with it. So I don't feel tied, happy to just continue as is until she no longer wants it, for the time being, anyway :)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #320 on: May 06, 2016, 22:41:24 pm »
I'm still here too. DD is 16mo and we still have several feeds a day. Mostly WU, before and after nap and BT. I do an extra one some days if she asks and is grizzly. She's teething her 1yr molars and waking up several times a night right now. DH is away for work next week and I'm thinking of weaning the NFs while he's gone. I figure that way I don't have to worry about her disturbing him and me feeling pressured to get her back to sleep quickly.

We went camping last weekend and the breast came in very handy to quietly soothe her back to sleep when she woke in the tent.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline trimbler

« Reply #321 on: May 07, 2016, 12:44:06 pm »
Wow that's very brave! I'm definitely not that adventurous!

Offline cath~

« Reply #322 on: May 07, 2016, 20:31:58 pm »
Trimbler - that's great you have the flexibility that she's fine with milk in a cup if you're not there.

Dd2 asked for milk in a cup at BT this eve :o so I haven't bf'd her!!  Wasnt expecting it, and thought she'd change her mind and ask for a BF as well, but nope! I think I'll prob run with it now and no more bt bfs..

Still have the morning one though, which she asks for every morning.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline trimbler

« Reply #323 on: May 08, 2016, 18:34:44 pm »
Haha she must have been reading along ;D When DS decided to stop he asked for "Daddy milk" instead - that's what we called cow's milk in a cup, which was always given by DH. But he didn't keep that up for long, he just never really liked cow's milk.

Offline Elisanah

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #324 on: May 08, 2016, 20:36:56 pm »
Hmm you've stopped the pill in order to ttc... Pg already, perhaps? ;)

Haha, no it was just my body being weird!

Offline cath~

« Reply #325 on: May 09, 2016, 09:42:21 am »
Haha she must have been reading along ;D

LOL yes it looks like it!

Yesterday I tried to change things around even more and do milk downstairs with stories before bath, explaining to DD2 that then there would be no milk upstairs after bath (just a last story in her bedroom before bed).  She agreed with this plan, and enjoyed her milk and stories downstairs, but when it came to it after bath she wanted (more) milk. First she was asking to BF but then it turned out that she'd be happy with milk in a cup but was absolutely adamant that there had to be milk of some kind!  So I gave her another cup of milk and she was fine.  I think I tried to change too much too quickly for her.  So I'm going to stick with a cup of milk upstairs after bath for a bit, before trying to bring it a bit earlier and downstairs.

Due to BFing at BT, I'd still been wearing nursing bras during the day but now I'm no longer BFing at BT, I think it's time to switch my bras!  It's been so long I will have to try and dig them out from wherever they've been buried.  Might even treat myself to a new one (or two!).  Should probably get measured again first though. ;D
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline trimbler

« Reply #326 on: May 11, 2016, 19:06:12 pm »
Haha now there's a thought! Still in nursing bras here...forgot there was even an alternative ;D

Offline cath~

« Reply #327 on: August 15, 2016, 09:30:23 am »
Anyone still here?  DD2 is 2 and a half now, and still BFing in the mornings when she wakes up.  She comes into my bed and it takes quite a while (20 mins or so?) and whilst we're in no rush on weekends and now, as it's the summer holidays, I think it could be tricky when DD1 goes back to school (plus DD2 has been waking about 30 mins later than usual a few times recently :) ).  So, I'm thinking that the last week of the summer holidays I will try to stop the morning BF.  I think I'll just tell DD2  that my milk has all gone.  What do people think?  Shall I offer her some milk in a cup instead?  I think she might like that and would make the transition more gradual too.  Although in the long run I don't really want her to be having milk first thing up stairs every morning (didn't do that with DD1).
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #328 on: August 15, 2016, 19:54:37 pm »
We're still here. DD is nearly 20mo and still BFs morning and BT plus before and/or after her nap if we're at home. If we're out and she sleeps in the buggy or I'm not around she doesn't ask. If she asks for an extra BF while we're home I normally give that too.

Is your DH around to take her straight downstairs for breakfast? That's what we did with DS1 and then I followed 10 minutes later. Or your plan sounds good. I see no harm in a few ounces of milk each morning.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline cath~

« Reply #329 on: August 30, 2016, 13:54:47 pm »
Well, I had a chat with dd2 on Friday and she was quite happy about the idea of having milk in a cup on Saturday morning.  She was absolutely fine with it in the morning too and even remembered the plan and asked for it specially.

She was fine on Sunday too.

This morning and yesterday she asked for milk from me (not in a cup) but both times when I told her I'd run out of milk now, she was OK about it and happy enough to have it in a cup instead.

She's only having a small amount of milk from the cup so I'm thinking we'll phase that out quite quickly too, and she'll just have some with her breakfast.

Really pleased it's gone so well and without upset.  Bit sad it's over though now.  I doubt I'll ever BF again :(
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old