Author Topic: 5 month old screams in sleep  (Read 5286 times)

Offline Charlie5073

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 26, 2012, 00:49:05 am »
My 5 month old who previously slept from 8pm to 8am (with a dream feed and if she had taken enough feeds through the day) has now started screaming in the night.

It is at random times (midnight one night, 5 am the next, 3 am the next. Etc) and she does not wake up, when I go in her eyes are shut but she is screaming. She sounds scared/hurt/distressed but settles when I go in and rub her back and ssssh a bit. She doesn't wake up.

We are getting a bit worried as it has been every night for the last few weeks. I have tried leaving her and not rushing in but this is difficult when my partner has work the next day plus the times I have done it she just gets worse until I go in.

I thought it could be that she can't settle herself if she wakes up as she quite often wakes from naps early and won't go back to sleep but she is asleep when I go in, her eyes are shut and she doesn't seem to notice me.

Could it be nightmares? Is there anything we can do if it is?

Any help would be much appreciated!! We are both exhausted.

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: 5 month old screams in sleep
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 02:51:30 am »
What's your daytime routine at the moment? Is she hot/sweaty at all during these episodes/at night in general?

Have you started solids? Any digestive/medical issues?

I'll see if I can find some more info and some other people to have a look for you.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 04:59:18 am by becj86 »

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 03:32:04 am »
Any discomfort? If pain is coming when LO is in deep sleep they can cry in their sleep :( teething? Sore Tum?
Could also be developmental....is your LO trying to do any new skills ATM? X
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Charlie5073

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 07:41:51 am »
Thanks for such quick replies! She is teething at the moment. She doesn't feel hot or sweaty at these times. No apparent digestive issues, she is on one solids meal a day and really loves it, she is all smiles during and you can see how much she loves it. Generally a v happy baby during the day unless OT or hungry/teething.

Routine as follows:

8am wake up + 180 ml bottle
8.15 activity - play with toys, sing songs etc
9.30 start wind down routine (nappy change, story, music, into cot with mobile on)
10.00 nap 1 1/2 hours
12.00 feed 180 ml bottle
12.15 activity
1.30 start wind down
2.00 nap 1 1/2-2 hours
4.00 solids feed then bottle 180 ml
4.30 activity
5.30-6 cat nap up to 1 hour
6.30 activity
7.15 bath + into night clothes
7.45 last bottle 180 ml then bedtime routine (story, bedtime songs book, into cot with mobile on)
Asleep by 8-8.30 after being left alone to settle herself.

Regarding new skills she has learned to sit up on her own for quite a while (a minute or so) this has come about in the last week.

She woke up again today at 2am, I let her cry fora bit but was worried she would wake herself up. I had to go back twice and pick her up before she would settle, but she was definitely asleep!!

She has been teething last few months, sometimes she copes well with it others she has seemed in serious pain. For the last week or so we hav tried to cut down on the calpol as she was having it every day, although she had it last night before bed.

I'm worried I have reinforced a habit by going in to her. She used to scream during her naps but then just settle herself down. In the night she seems to start off sleepy but gradually sound like she's waking up and getting hysterical, so of course i go in.

At a loss as to what to do! If it something she will grow out of then that's fine, just want to make sure it's not my fault/something I can help with.

Offline Charlie5073

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 07:42:44 am »
Sorry missed 11pm dream feed 180 ml off my routine above!

Offline becj86

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 08:19:51 am »
Routine looks good, maybe the A times are a little short - actually, you said she wakes from naps early and won't go back to sleep in your OP... maybe increase your first A of the day - 2hr15 would be about average for just-turned 5 months, closer to 2hr30-2hr45 approaching 6 months.

If you're giving meds at ~8 for the night, they would be wearing off around that 2am waking. Have you tried another dose at that waking? It could well be pain.

Offline Charlie5073

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 22:10:15 pm »
Thank you, will try and increase the A time.

We don't give her another dose as she's asleep and settles more or less straight away. I suppose if it is pain there's not a lot we can do except wait for her to go through this stage.

Thanks for your advice !

Offline Charlie5073

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 10:43:56 am »
Last  night it was half 3 and this time she woke up properly. I left her to settle herself back to sleep but she was awake for about 15 mins just making her happy noises.

At least she was happy and she did go back to sleep on her own, but I'm in desperate need of a full nights sleep! Is there anything we can do?

Soundproof the house?!!

Do you think cutting out the solids altogether until she's 6 months would help? She used to poo every day but now it's once every two days. She was fine on baby rice but lately I've given her puréed sweet potato and broccoli.

Offline becj86

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 10:58:34 am »
Last  night it was half 3 and this time she woke up properly. I left her to settle herself back to sleep but she was awake for about 15 mins just making her happy noises.
These 'cot parties' are another sign you need to extend that A time. It tends to be related to LO being undertired or banking on a nap soon after waking in the morning.

If its digestive discomfort, cutting solids will help - when are you offering solids? Ideally you would offer in the morning so any discomfort can be observed during the day and out of her system by night.

Offline Charlie5073

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 22:32:28 pm »
Thank you! So when does the A time start? When the feed finishes? So if a feed finished at 8.15 I would keep her up until 10.30 if I'm giving her 2 hr 15 A time?

I will try this tomorrow! Thank you!

Offline becj86

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 09:33:54 am »
A time starts when she wakes up from her nap - A time is eyes open to eyes shut.