Author Topic: The long NW are back! :(  (Read 1027 times)

Offline tel33015

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
The long NW are back! :(
« on: December 27, 2012, 23:04:49 pm »
Merry Xmas everyone, hope you all had a lovely day with your family and bubs :)

Its been a few weeks since I have posted and I thought the long NW had pretty much gone. We had about 6-7 nights of bliss and now they are back. I am not really sure what else to try or if there is anything I can try! I feel like I have tried everything but maybe I have to go a bit more extreme?

DS is almost 7.75mths and our days look like this at the moment:

2-4:30am - NW are usually somewhere within this time and can last upto an 1hr, sometimes more. Waking times are usually always different. End up having to give bottle as he gets hungry in the end and will skill 5 ounces very quickly and then go back to sleep almost straight away.

6:30 wake up
7:00 bottle...depending on when has early morning bottle might only drink between 3-5 ounces here.
8:00 fruit
9:30 bed (2hrs)
11:30 bottle - about 5 ounces
12:30 lunch - 4 cubes
2:45 bed (1.5 hrs give or take 10 mins)
4:00-4:30 bottle - about 5 ounces
5:00-5:30 dinner - 4 cubes
7:00-7:30 bath/bed/bottle - about 4-5 ounces
DF 10:30ish 6 ounces....

I have changed his formula in case it was tummy pain/gas waking him. I have cut back on solids as maybe needing more milk so was waking hungry. Still only drinks around 25 ounces but has 6 bottles??? Have increased A times as maybe could be UT. I did feel a tooth yesterday so maybe its his teeth. Tried dream meds last night and it was worse than the night before. Kinda at a loss.....should I cut back more of something?

Is this something I just have to ride out....Meanwhile age about 10 years LOL.  :)

Thanks in advance for anyones thoughts.

Offline tel33015

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: The long NW are back! :(
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 01:40:02 am »
I have just been reading some other posts and I saw one that suggested "cot parties" usually mean UT?

When DS wakes, he just makes noises, never cries, not even winge. Usually only cries when he has got to the point of hunger or when I leave the room after a few attempts of resettleing?

Does this suggest UT or can pain wake them but not hurt enough to cry or winge. If I increase A times I am going to have cut nap length so I can get an 11 hr night, woudn't I?

Another question...has/is the bottle become a prop?

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 03:39:07 am »
I have just been reading some other posts and I saw one that suggested "cot parties" usually mean UT?
Yep, that'd be my guess here too. At nearly 8 months, he can probably cope with a higher A time in the morning. Average A times and "Is my baby ready to increase A time?"
Pushing the first nap a little later can often be enough to discourage those long happy NW's in the early hours of the morning. chronological EASY samples, 7-9 months

Bottle doesn't look like a prop - does he need it to get back to sleep?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 03:40:46 am by becj86 »

Offline tel33015

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 07:55:51 am »
Thanks for the links becj86. I will look into increasing his A times, might have to cut morning nap back to 1.5 hrs too. He definitely does not wake crying and I can not go in for up to 30 mins and he is still just making noises, no crying or winging. Like I said its pretty much after I try to resettle or he gets hungry that he starts crying. Do you think pain can wake them and prevent them going back to sleep without crying or winging?

He does not go to sleep during bottle, its more like he drinks it all, still awake but then just settles back to sleep without any hassle, don't have to ssh-pat or anything just goes straight to sleep. He must be a little hungry as always drinks the 5 ounces I offer???? I have not tried offering the bottle as soon as he wakes, should I try this to see if its actually hunger?

Offline becj86

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 08:43:06 am »
Like I said its pretty much after I try to resettle or he gets hungry that he starts crying. Do you think pain can wake them and prevent them going back to sleep without crying or winging?
I'd say its more likely he's stirred/woken during a change in sleep cycles and some discomfort/hunger is there and just annoying enough for him not to get back to sleep...

He does not go to sleep during bottle, its more like he drinks it all, still awake but then just settles back to sleep without any hassle
Yeah, sounds more like he's woken and just hungry enough to not be able to get back to sleep but its not actually a prop IYSWIM. Maybe you could offer a smaller bottle if this feed is interfering with his daytime intake?

Offline tel33015

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 05:31:22 am »
Hello again, its been a few weeks but just wanted to vent that things are not better! We might get 1 night here or there and then 2 good nights then all the rest are long NW! Still wakes somewhere between 2-5am and is awake until I feed him.  Some nights he has not settled after feed but most he drinks all his bottle and goes back to sleep without help.

This has been going on for at least 2 months  :-[ DH and I are tired! I have almost come to the conclusion that this is just something that he will get past this on his own at some stage! I really don't want that to be case but really don't know what else to do.

Can teething last this long!!! Since I started posting about this he has had 2 teeth come through, he started crawling 2 days ago and pulls himself up on the cot. I know all these things can disrupt sleep, there just does not seem to be a break in it all.....if its not one thing its another!

DS is now 8mths and 1 week. His A times are around 3.15-3.30 hrs, sleep times are usually 1.5hrs each give or take 15 minutes. He has 3 meals a day and upto 6 bottles. The 7am bottle is not usually a full bottle because of his early am bottle but He is drinking around 5-6 ounces each bottle.

I have no idea if its discomfort, hunger, UT or habit.

Sorry to ramble on, just venting I guess! Thanks for listening. If anyone has any thoughts I would love to hear them. Big thanks to bec, appreciate all your help along the way, don't know where I would have better advice :)

Offline becj86

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 07:40:34 am »
Could you try dropping an oz off the night feed every few days and see if that helps?

Is there any correlation to what he's eaten at dinner or whether he's eaten more or less solids during the day than usual?

Offline tel33015

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 08:26:40 am »
Yep could try that. The last few times I have gave 4 ounces instead of 5 he got very upset when bottle was finished  ::)  but very happy to give it a go. During the NW he appears so hungry he can't get the 5 ounces quick enough and then has another 3ish ounces at 7-7:30 but the nights with no NW, he only drinks about 6 ounces at breakfast, if that....not sure on that one.

We had a good night last night, he woke at 1:45am and then did not hear him again until 6:25am. Hubby and I appreciate those nights very much! Who knows whether we will get another one tonight.

I am not sure about the correlation to what he's eaten at dinner or during the day. I have not noticed anything much different from the nights he sleeps through to the nights he does not. The amount of everything is pretty much the same. He always, always finishes his food. He eats less at breakfast but I assume thats because of his early am bottle plus the 7am bottle and then too full perhaps?

At the moment I am trying to increase his bottle but also feed his solids sooner after his bottle so that he may be hungrier at next bottle so I can get as much milk intake into him as possible. So far he seems to be drinking a little more so will see if it helps.

He has me beat  :)