Author Topic: How long before noticing any improvement with ED?  (Read 6115 times)

Offline Kellyshe

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
How long before noticing any improvement with ED?
« on: December 28, 2012, 00:12:53 am »
I'm starting a dairy, soy, and gluten free diet (rarely eat nuts or eggs so might as well throw that in to the mix).

How ling until I notice a difference with LOs sleep, poos, etc?  I'm guessing his also means my freezer stash is rubbish.

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
Re: How long before noticing any improvement with ED?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 00:19:44 am »
It can take up to 3 weeks for a full improvement, sometimes even longer to get nice poos. It takes some time for the proteins to leave your system and then to leave his. After that his gut will need to heal.

But you should start seeing a difference in overall well-being and sleep within a week I'd say. I saw a dramatic improvement on day 2 but it's not always this quick.
Elise

Offline Kellyshe

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 01:26:00 am »
Thanks.  Another quick question... If avoiding soy, is it better to not to eat GF oatmeal that say packed in a plant that has tree nuts and soy (or something like that?)?  I took one mouthful and then read the bag and hady husband finish the rest.

Also, is it possible that there could be an allergy to mothers milk tea?  I know anythings possible.  Just don't drink it just in case? 

Offline ENMS

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 01:29:21 am »
For the first 2 weeks, I'd be extra careful... just to be sure. Then after those initial 2 weeks I'd be more lax, try it and see if she reacts.  But that's just my own approach, some people like to start with a less restrictive diet, and add to it only if it becomes necessary, kwim?

I've looked up mothers milk tea, it looks fine to me but I dunno it could always be that she's reacting to it. But I'd say it's unlikely IMHO.
Elise

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 01:36:03 am »
I saw improvement by 3 days too. :-*
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Kellyshe

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 21:17:34 pm »
Hey ladies....quick update.  Definitely a food allergy as confirmed by pediatric GI doc testing her moucousy diaper, confirming the presence of blood.  (my LO was so kind to make a fresh specimen right as we got to the office).

I've been on the ED for 10 days.   How should I know if its helped.  We are going to test her stool again in like 2-3 weeks.  If it hasn't improved, allimentium is the next step.

Do you think a month is long enough to see a difference in her stool?

Offline ENMS

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 02:04:05 am »
what did the doctor say about still having blood and mucous in diaper despite being on ED for 10 days?

have you seen an overall improvement?

I think if in 2-3 weeks she is still having blood then yes I would be concerned, but I'm guessing (not an expert here) that 10 days can be a possibility since the gut will need to heal once all the proteins exit her system.
Elise

Offline Kellyshe

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 13:40:22 pm »
Hey ladies.   Back again.  So here's what's going on.  We are getting better sleep at night, but I'm not sure if its because the pediatric GI increased her Zantac (jan 4th), we are exclusively pumping and bottle feeding, or that she is sleeping in a car seat (more upright).  This all happened at once. 

I have been exclusively pumping since jan3-4 so 10 days.  Her stool is still green and mucousy.  I've been on the elimination diet for 19 days now.  Am I losing this battle here?  Am I holding out for something that isn't going to happen?

We are having a hard time getting her to take the bottles.  She drinks 2oz and isn't interested.  I don't know if this is because I'm feeding her too often (3 hourly), or the reflux thing. 

Thoughts?

PS.  She will be 16 weeks on Tuesday.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 17:17:25 pm »
HI,

We never had a problem with mucous in nappies but as far as I understnad it this can one of the last things to clear. The bowel is irritated and this takes a while to stop getting irritated and then to heal properly.

x

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 19:11:52 pm »
Her stool is still green and mucousy.  I've been on the elimination diet for 19 days now.  Am I losing this battle here?  Am I holding out for something that isn't going to happen?
hugs. I would have thought you would see some improvement by now. But that said some ladies find their LOs stools don't come right for weeks. Behaviorally has she improved? ie less tummy pain you think?

When you say she is sleeping in the car seat...this isnt at night is it?

We are having a hard time getting her to take the bottles.  She drinks 2oz and isn't interested.  I don't know if this is because I'm feeding her too often (3 hourly), or the reflux thing. 
The same thing is happening in our house ATM and if I feed 3,3.5,4 hrly it doesnt matter the volume taken is the same. It sounds like a reflux flare or reflux pain YK? - They feed just enough to take the hunger away, before it starts to hurt. When you say uninterested if you re offer does she fuss on the bottle?
***Sara***

Offline Kellyshe

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 01:14:18 am »
She has been sleeping in the car seat overnight.  I just bought a sleep wedge with a sling that were trying tonight. 

As for her eating, sometimes she's hubgry at 3 hours, other times not.  I think we need to follow her lead rather than the clock on this one. 

As for behavior, she is sleeping better at night and has fallen asleep in the car rather than crying the whole time.  But if we miss the Zantac dose, you can tell (DH giving it to her now as she was fussing for the night bottle).

In order to get her to drink her bottle, we sometimes have to walk around with her (motion seems to help).  She still toots but perhaps not as often as before or at least not as uncomfortable for her as before. 

While I know lactose intolerance is rare, I'm wondering if that could also be an issue.  I know we tried colief once before and she really slept well the night we gave it to her.  Can't hurt to ask the pediatric GI doc about it.

As for the bottle...she really likes to direct her eating....she pulls the bottle in and out if her mouth as if to pause and take a breather.  She was a slow nurser so I guess she's a slow bottle feeder.  Other times she takes 2 oz and says I'm done.  I haven't figured out what the deal is but we may have given her too much milk the feed before (were still trying to gauge how much to give at each bottle). 

Its all exhausting.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 01:31:38 am »
Hugs, I truly know how you feel :-*
Here's some tips for feeding that you may find helpful.
http://www.cryingoverspiltmilk.co.nz/food/feeding-ideasfromparents/

If she gives hunger cues then I would also go with her as to when to feed. If she doesn't, or always seems hungry 3-3.5hrs is a good timeframe so she isn't starving and gulps it down then gets sick.

I really would try to get her out of the carseat at night. It isn't a safe place for her to sleep. Even a baby seat or swing would put her in a safer position to sleep in.
***Sara***

Offline ENMS

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 01:59:35 am »
While I know lactose intolerance is rare, I'm wondering if that could also be an issue.  I know we tried colief once before and she really slept well the night we gave it to her.  Can't hurt to ask the pediatric GI doc about it.

Definitely ask about it, it is rare, but you never know. Though now you're dairy free right?

(((hugs))) I agree it is very exhausting... it will get better though, hang in there and use as much as help as you can from friends and family.
Elise

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 05:44:56 am »

Definitely ask about it, it is rare, but you never know. Though now you're dairy free right?

(((hugs))) I agree it is very exhausting... it will get better though, hang in there and use as much as help as you can from friends and family.

It's very rare, but not unheard of!  I just figured out that my 26 month old is LI at some level... fine with cheese, yogurt etc.. milk is a big no!

Offline Kellyshe

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 16:02:42 pm »
I did some reading about lactose intollerance and I'm not sure that's it.  Wouldn't eliminating ALL dairy eliminate that as a possibility?  I really thought by pumping full time that it would turn the poo from green to yellow by now.

Please take a look at what I"m eating and let me know if I'm missing something:  My staples are as follows:

chicken, pork, texmati rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yellow squash, string beans, carrots, celery, pears, grapes, apples, bananas, potato chips (not cooked in vegetable oil or canola oil), apple sauce (natural), red beets, rice milk, rice cereal.

I have not cut out my prenatal vitamin.  I am taking a calcium suppliment that is free of all allergens (dairy, soy, wheat, etc), and I take a fish oil/Vit D supplement, but I'm not sure if the fish oil/Vit D is allergen free (I'm also not sure about my prenatal vitamin).

Should I have cut the vitamins out?

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 18:55:29 pm »
Do you think a soy intolerance is a possibility? Or gluten?
Hugs x
***Sara***

Offline Kellyshe

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 21:24:23 pm »
I cut out dairy, soy, gluten, eggs, fish (don't eat it anyway), nuts and corn (DH can't tolerate corn).

I did just talk with my DH.  She had 3 BMs at daycare and the first was yellow (supposedly), but the women who changed the other diapers was not there to say what the color was.  Wouldn't that be great if its yellow!?  I need a silver lining!

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 21:32:29 pm »
I did some reading about lactose intollerance and I'm not sure that's it.  Wouldn't eliminating ALL dairy eliminate that as a possibility?

Nope.  Breast milk has lactose in it.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 19:11:23 pm »
Wouldn't that be great if its yellow!?  I need a silver lining!

That would be great! Is there still mucous in it or has that gone now?? Any other symptoms lingering?

Offline Kellyshe

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 20:33:24 pm »
Of course she doesn't poo for us last night or this morning so I haven't witnessed the yellow poo myself.  She is really congested right now and I think that is affecting sleep.  We practically woke her at 3am to clean her nose out so she'd be more settled.  Hoping this is just normal and not her getting sick at daycare.

I did ask at daycare if there was still mucous and they said yes.  Again, I'd like to see for myself where this stands.  Who would have thought I'd be anxiously awaiting for a poopy diaper!!!

I'll keep you posted.

Offline Kellyshe

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 04:15:27 am »
Update:

Still green poo with mucus.  We just took her to the ER tonight.  She tested positive for RSV.  Poor kid.  Right now its major congestion and a cough and hoping it doesn't get worse.

While there, she did poop and I asked for a occult blood test.  Still positive.  It's now 24 days on the ED.  How long does it take no not get a positive occult blood test?

Offline ENMS

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 19:44:05 pm »
(((hugs))

I'm no expert but I'd think it would have started to heal after 24 days. What did they have to say in the hospital about this?
Elise

Offline Kellyshe

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 20:22:16 pm »
They didn't say anything as its not a pediatric hospital.  We got a more yellow poop this morning so I'll see how the week progresses.  I thirst I read that green poop could be indicative of a virus.  Is that right?

Offline ENMS

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 20:50:13 pm »
I've done a quick google and saw that it can be bacteria, but I know green stools are common with foremilk imbalance or intolerances as well so it's hard to tell.

Do you see the paed again soon?
Elise

Offline Kellyshe

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 23:42:03 pm »
Her 4 month well visit is coming up and we are supposed to send a stool sample for occult blood testing to a pediatric GI next week.

I'm going to weigh her tonight and see if she's gaining well.  She's sleeping better and seems to want to eat now so I'm taking that as positive signs.  Worst comes to worst we made try formula for two weeks to see if there is a difference and then reintroduce BM and see if it goes back.  It's so hard trying to figure out what's the best course of action here.

Offline ENMS

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2013, 23:49:23 pm »
It's so hard trying to figure out what's the best course of action here.

Yep - it's all trial and error and since they don't speak it is so, so hard to figure out what is going on.

Hugs, and hang on to those improvements hopefully more to come soon xx
Elise

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 09:09:35 am »
Yes, it is so hard, esp when you are on a strict ED and you don't see the improvements that you would have hoped  :-[. I think that a trial on a HAF alongside pumping to maintain supply may have to be your next step although if you are seeing improvements then that is great!

Offline Kellyshe

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, 15:39:07 pm »
Okay...so here's another update.  She's still dealing with RSV but we are hoping we are coming out of the thick of it.  The ped GI called last night and told me the results of the gastric emptying study.  She has moderate reflux.  She does not have delayed gastric emptying.  We have an appt on Feb 8th.  I will bring another soiled diaper for occult blood testing.  If its still positive, we gave decided we will switch to HAF. 

At that point, it will have been 45 days on the elimination diet.  Again, what I don't know is whether or not a positive fecal occult blood test only is indicative if food intollerence or any gut damage.  Anyone know the answer?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2013, 17:01:57 pm »
No, sorry I don't know the answer  :-[

Offline Kellyshe

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 14:13:16 pm »
No worries.

Some good news....her poo is now yellow again!  Still a small bit of mucous but she's still congested.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2013, 17:42:19 pm »
Oh that is good news!

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2013, 20:30:01 pm »
:D
***Sara***

Offline Kellyshe

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2013, 01:31:47 am »
Ugh...a green one again.  I ate chips the other day that I don't know what oil they used for cooking.  Wonder if that did it.  I have stool soles of both the yellow and green to send off for occult testing.  It will be interesting if the yellow ones are negative but the green positive.