Author Topic: 12wk old possible growth spurt? But not feeding! SOS  (Read 1560 times)

Offline yufeiisme

• My Sunshine
  • New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
12wk old possible growth spurt? But not feeding! SOS
« on: December 28, 2012, 08:13:47 am »
Hi ladies, DD just turned 12 weeks old yesterday. I understand there is a growth spurt at this age, but she had been sooo cranky today. She usually feeds, naps and sleeps really well. We are on a 3.5hr easy routine. I breastfeed her in the night and express and bottle feed her during the day. But today, she just doesn't want to feed, she would scream when I feed her with bottle and she would feed a little bit if I pop her onto breast. As of now which is 7pm she has only been bf 15min and bottle fed 190ml for the whole day. She is a Zantac twice a day for her silent reflux. Is this common at her age? What should I do? I am so worried. Is she refusing the bottle now? Her temperature is normal and she played well today too. TIA

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: 12wk old possible growth spurt? But not feeding! SOS
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 05:06:05 am »
Hi hun - this is concerning to me as well.  LOs can become dehydrated quite quickly at this age... is she still wetting diapers?

If she will BF, I would certainly go with this for now and reintro the bottle once she seems better..

How much does she weigh and what is her current dose of Zantac?

Offline yufeiisme

• My Sunshine
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 08:13:48 am »
Hi Kara, thanks for your reply! And thank god DD started feeding again. So last night she was fed three times, totalling  the day at about 490ml. Today, so far she has taken about 360ml (it is just before her bedtime right now). She still has a cluster feed at 8:30, one dreamfeed at 11 and possibly one night feed ahead. So somehow she seems to be well, although she is not feeding as much as what she used to take before.

We roughly weighed her. And she is about 5.3kilos (She was born 2.5kilos), and her zantac dosage is 0.75ml twice a day. She was SSTN from 7pm till 4am since two weeks ago but since last week, she started to wake up at 3 and 6 again. :( I'm confused about what to do or to alter as for her routine.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 23:13:25 pm »
She was SSTN from 7pm till 4am since two weeks ago but since last week, she started to wake up at 3 and 6 again.

I suspect the lack of eating in the day time is contributing to this ;)

At her weight, she should be taking in 24 ozs a day without too much trouble - possibly more...  that converts to about 700 mls/24 hrs.

We roughly weighed her. And she is about 5.3kilos (She was born 2.5kilos), and her zantac dosage is 0.75ml twice a day.

When is the last time her dosage was changed?  I only ask because she is on a minimum dose for her weight and Zantac is very weight sensitive..

Offline yufeiisme

• My Sunshine
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 00:20:54 am »
Do you think her feeding problem could be caused by under dosage? Last time we saw the doc was three weeks ago, that was when she started Zantac. We are going back to the doc tmr, should I suggest to increase her dosage?

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 05:20:20 am »
I would ask about it for sure.. it might not be enough to make a difference for her.. most babies do need to be on the higher end of the dosing scale...

Reflux can manifest as a snacking issue (to stop the burn).. or as a refusal (associate eating with the pain or too much pain to think of eating)

Offline yufeiisme

• My Sunshine
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 13:11:17 pm »
Hi Kara, we saw the gp today and she reckons dd is healthy and told us to increase her Zantac to 1ml twice a day. she weighed 5.4kg. However after we came back from the doctors, she became so irritable. For the day she has only taken 380ml and there is just one NF left to be done. Could she be teething, isnt it too young for her age? She does show signs of drooling, licking her gum, sucking her fingers. But not teeth can be felt to touch nor visible. What could be wrong?

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 06:00:24 am »
Unlikely to be teething at this age (though not impossible)... drooling at this age isn't really a sign of teething, babies do just drool because they don't have teeth to stop it ;)

That is a really low intake for the day... did you bring up the low volume feeds with the doctor?

Could she be constipated at all?  I do think this might be down to the reflux hun...

Offline yufeiisme

• My Sunshine
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 09:25:53 am »
OMG Kara, you won't believe this, her first tooth made its appearance today! It is so random isn't it? I thought the average time for them to have their first teeth would be at least 4 months? Plus, it is one of the back teeth that appeared. As soon as the tooth sprouted, she went back to her normal self. Gosh I'm so relieved, I was acting like a psycho, weighing her nappies to ensure she wasn't dehydrated! But I really appreciated your help :P Might need it soon~

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 22:57:35 pm »
Oh my!!!  Well that explains all of her fussy-ness!  Poor bubs had a tooth bothering her!

As for average age, it's more like 6 months for first teeth ;)  But, there certainly are lots who get them earlier - babies have been born with teeth before too!

Though, it is random that it isn't her bottom front teeth as they are generally first ;)