Author Topic: Vitimin D  (Read 2994 times)

Offline vanessa c

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 06:33:36 am »
I live in the USA and I was told before beingmdischargedmfrom the hospital to give my DS vitamin D.  We give him Tri-vi-sol. I have to give him 1ml (those drops sound nice) so I give him a 2 ounce bottle everyday with it in it, then nurse for the rest of the feeding.

Offline nona

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2012, 03:01:03 am »
vanessa - i bought some drops at GNC i think that are 4 drops and also don't have a bunch of added stuff in them like fake coloring or flavors. hope that doesn't come across that i think the tri-vi-sol are inferior i just wanted to use something else. my friend in another state's LC recommended this particular brand.
heather

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Vitimin D
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 05:06:33 am »
I'm surprised at the different standards around the world.  I was told to give my DS vit D when he was a baby and that was back in 2008.  This is what I gave him:

http://www.ddrops.ca/index.php

I could put a drop on my nipple before he breast fed.  So easy!

I was told about Vit D in the hospital as well (although I knew about it as it is very common to give it here)... and our HV double checked that we were giving it to DD even though she was FF (until she took 24ozs per day).

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Vitimin D
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 21:01:24 pm »
In the UK Kelly the NHS advice is to only give vitamin D supplements from 6mo to 5yo so your DS is not at that age yet. If you are likely to have had deficient vit D in pregnancy because you didn't take your pregnancy vitamins then it is advised from 1mo.  The NHS say that FF babies only need it once formula intake falls below about 500mls.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/vitamins-for-children.aspx

Having said that my dr and HV were completely unaware of the recs and even said it wasn't necessary when I asked specifically having seen it on this site! I do give them Abidec though.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011