Author Topic: Mama in doubt: Too Much or Not Enough Food?!  (Read 1517 times)

Offline LuluBaby

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Mama in doubt: Too Much or Not Enough Food?!
« on: December 30, 2012, 19:33:59 pm »
Hi! We started LO on solids at 5mo and she absolutely LOVES to eat! I just want to make sure we are not feeding her too much but yet enough. She is 7mo and weighed a solid 20lbs at her 6mo check up.
Here is her feeding schedule.
07:30- 3oz of solids (oatmeal mixed with fruit)
            5 oz of formula
11:00- 4 oz of solids (2oz veggies and 2oz fruit or 1oz yogurt w/ 1oz fruit)
11:30- 5 oz of formula
03:00- 6 oz of formula
06:30- 3 oz of solids (3oz veggies)
07:00- 5 oz of formula

For a total of:
10 oz of solids a day
21 oz of formula a day

I make my own baby food. Sometimes we have to give her the bottle right at er the solids or distract her because she still asks for more and I'm scared that it's way too much. She also still spits up a lot through out the day (not sure if it due to over feeding or not).

My other question is: is 7 mo too early to introduce protein? I've read so many different opinions...

Thank you for your help!!!!!!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: Mama in doubt: Too Much or Not Enough Food?!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 12:51:20 pm »
Hi hon- are you offerring the bottle before the solids? Generally intill later on you always offer the bottle first as the solids are an extra- the main nutrition is the milk. Is she still taking the full amount of milk feeds and not refusing any? Generally if you are still getting the milk into her then that's all good! If she started refusing the milk in favour of the food then you would look at reducing the solids.

Also- is she uncomfortable at night at all? any tummy issues from that amount of food? If not it's probably ok.

Here;s a sticky with some info about amounts of milk from 6-9 months:

Milk intake - what you can expect between 6 months to 12months +

This is a website that i used heaps when weaning my guy- it might give you some more good ideas: http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/index.htm#.UOQs44lesmY

As far as protien- i;m fairly sure that canada among other countries actually suggest meat as a first food due to it's high iron content. so i'd say that would be fine.
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 13:19:13 pm »
I agree with Katy about offering milk first, 21oz whilst within guidelines is on the low side. Most babies are taking around 30oz a day when they start solids and don't drop down until 9/10 months - milk is more important than solids until they are 1.

I would increase the amount of milk you offer too - is she draining the bottles?

Laura

Offline LuluBaby

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 19:46:41 pm »
Thanks for the advice ladies! She doesn't refuse the bottle and still enjoys it as she always has! :) this girl LOVES to eat!
I actually just recently switched her to this feeding schedule since when I went to her 6mo check up our pediatrician made it sound like her having 27oz was a lot and not to go over that amount. So the fact that she is in the 90% percentile, spits up  a lot + the comment from the dr as well as the book saying that baby should be eating every 4hrs starting at 4 mo is why I changed the schedule not really knowing which is best. This is what we use to do:
7:00/7:30- 3 oz of oatmeal and fruit + 5oz formula
10:00- 6 oz formula
1:00- 2oz veggies 1 oz fruit (or half yogurt halft fruit) + 5 oz of formula
4:00- 6 oz of formula
6:45- 3 oz veggies
7:15ish- 5oz of formula before bed

Total of 9 oz of solids
Total of 27 oz of formula

Should I go back to this schedule?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 19:56:47 pm »
I would!

Actually the BW way is to do milk first and solids about an hour later as part of A time, so when she wakes up give her the bottle first and then oatmeal about an hour later - sooner if she is hungry.

If you increase her bottles you don't need to do the one with her lunch and offer a sippy of water instead. Most babies will be having 4 bottles of 8ish oz now - one at wake up, mid morning and mid-afternoon and then bedtime and some still a DF or a nightfeed.

Laura