Author Topic: Need help with my girls' eating, the little one in particular  (Read 1871 times)

Offline Roseii

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 198
Need help with my girls' eating, the little one in particular
« on: December 30, 2012, 23:33:38 pm »
So dd1 is 4, dd2 is 2.5.
Dd1 is pretty good but her diet is quite limited, dd2 is bad and getting worse. She point blank will NOT try anything new, full stop. And the worst thing is, if she doesn't like something that's on her plate she immediately takes it off and will throw it on the floor if I try putting it back on her plate. She will not be cajoled, convinced, bribed :P, nothing.

I feel like their meals are so repetitive and also dd1 is losing out b/c I end up catering to dd2 and not broadening dd1's "eating horizons" as such  :-\

Meals/foods they will both eat: spag Bol (which I hide veges in as dd2 will not touch them otherwise) roast-both eat meat (chicken, beef, pork, turkey) roast potatoes, dd1 will eat broccoli and carrots too, and they both love gravy. They will eat chicken pie (home made) too. And they like fish fingers and chips.

Dd1 loves pasta and will happily eat it for every meal but is not mad on sauce so it's pretty boring and plain, she also loves rice and is pretty good with meat. Dd2 loves meat, real meat like chicken, streak etc. Dd2 will NOT eat vegetables other than tomatoes and cucumbers and v occasionally a raw carrot.

I'm sick of making the same meals and want to get them both to expand, but how can I fairly go about this without "starving" dd2? How should I react to food literally being removed if she doesn't like the look of it? I reeeeaaalllly don't want meals to be an issue or to be fighting her the whole time.

Any thoughts or ideas most welcome  :-*
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline Roseii

Re: Need help with my girls' eating, the little one in particular
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 23:40:59 pm »
Example: if I want to make macaroni cheese for dd1, but know dd2 is unlikely to touch *any* of it, what should I do?

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 119
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 00:23:42 am »
CharliI am not much help really as we are still having issues but I have been following along this thread which I found quite helpful (i know beckys ds is older than your dd2 but still some interesting thoughts)

DS and eating

And look here too
http://www.ellynsatter.com/how-to-feed-i-24.html

Offline Roseii

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 00:28:25 am »
Thanks jazz that site looks really good-I am guilty of not scheduling snacks, just giving in to food requests any old times etc so that's food for thought...
I'll have a scan through becky's thread too, thanks.

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 119
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 01:11:54 am »
Yeh me too, we go through phases where I get them on a schedule with snacks etc and they eat much better at mealtimes... Unsurprisingly ::). Then we kind of slip into old habits again. i think having a toddler always throws things off as it is hard to explain to them why they can't have food as and when.

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 19:58:07 pm »
I'm sick of making the same meals and want to get them both to expand, but how can I fairly go about this without "starving" dd2?
oh goodness me too but in our case it is DD who eats ok, def better than DS.

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!