Author Topic: 11 month old poop issues  (Read 1355 times)

Offline katiebee18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
11 month old poop issues
« on: December 31, 2012, 01:47:39 am »
I think DS has always suffered from tummy troubles but they seem to be getting worse. Ped just says to give him more high fiber foods which I am willing to give a chance but have been giving him fruits and vegetables 2-3 times daily since he was about 7 months, maybe not in large enough quantities though?

DS is still BF (eats an average of 6-7 times a day) with complimentary solids usually 3 times a day. I try to offer water during the day, but sometimes he won't take it. Tried to put in a bottle, but he won't take that.

It is not that his stools are usually hard, he just won't go for 3-4 days but will be trying to poop (straining, tummy tight, crying/crabby, smelly gas) for days before it actually comes out. Is usually soft but not liquid like (diarrhea) and is brown like I think it should be at this age.

We use prune juice sometimes but it may still take a day or 2 before he poops.

Anyone else have any luck with a specific food or drink?

DS has always gotten more constipated when eating bananas and apples, so those are out (at least for now). I used to think spinach and carrots made him go more quickly, but doesn't seem to have the same effect anymore.

He has had cow's milk, egg, wheat, soy, fish and I didn't do the best of introducing them one at a time but he has had these issues all along. Guess he could have had an intolerance to it in my breast milk this whole time...

Any ideas appreciated!

Offline mycatmonet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
Re: 11 month old poop issues
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 01:57:06 am »
Pears, pears, pears! Chopped up and steamed or microwaved until soft. Had a few concerning times with DD seeming to get hardish poo and not pooing for a few days and we just hit the pears. I also give her some prunes with her weetbix for breakfast, she adores them.  I'd keep persisting with the water, try in different cups, straw, sippy etc if he won't take it from a bottle. HTH!

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 03:59:01 am »
i give DD a straw cup with water and she loves. id try the prunes or pears and my DD loves sucking them out of the package herself if you buy the premade kind.

i was just at target today and i know there is an organic brekkie with prunes in it. i can't remember the brand now. my DD prefers to self feed. i don't have prunes on hand usually although she eats a tons of pears.

i don't really get the poop thing thought bc sometimes DDs are soft and then yesterday she had one with more pebbles yet she eats a ton of fruit, etc and I give her water  - however she never seems too bothered when going poop.
heather

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 05:12:27 am »
Another vote for pears ;)  Or peaches!  Or a bit of fruit juice in that sippy of water ;)

Offline katiebee18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 14:26:04 pm »
Thanks! Started with peaches today but will plan on buying prunes and another cup DS might like better. He is refusing his sippy now but will often drink from a cup with no lid with my help so will add some prune juice as needed. Good thing pears are his favorite thing to eat :)

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 23:22:15 pm »
Careful with prunes - they can be powerful ;)