Author Topic: Eczema and Dairy  (Read 2222 times)

Offline shinysarah

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Eczema and Dairy
« on: January 01, 2013, 08:48:25 am »
Hiiii,
I'm considering removing milk from my 2 year old diet to see if his eczema improves but I'm stuck about what to give him...is there a formula I can buy?...should I go with soy??
Any advice would be v helpful
Thanks in advance
Sarah

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Eczema and Dairy
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 22:17:10 pm »
Hi Sarah,

As he is 2 I would be looking at milk alternatives such as soy, oat, hemp, coconut. are you thinking of taking all dairy out such as cheese etc?

Offline shinysarah

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 22:49:37 pm »
Hi,
I wasn't thinking of cutting all dairy out but am a little concerned re the milk because he loves a cup in the morning and a cup before bed.
Would he be fine to switch to soy?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 20:56:13 pm »
Well there can be a link between dairy and soy intolerances so some mums would stay clear. I am not sure if this is still the case when they are 2 years old TBH as MSPI does seem to effect babies more.

Were you think soy as it is easy to get hold of? We use oat milk and can get it in all the supermarkets.

Offline shinysarah

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 17:49:39 pm »
Tbh hadn't thought of oatmilk...does it taste similar? Does your lo have eczema? Could I make a simple switch? Sorry, questions questions!!! X

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 20:21:49 pm »
That is OK! Olly did have eczema until the took all the things he was allergic to out of his diet. I am not sure that you could fool your LO into thinking that oat milk was cow's milk but it is palatable! Maybe you could dilute the cow's milk with oatmilk gradually increasing the oat milk so he doesn't notice as much?

Offline shinysarah

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 20:52:07 pm »
Yep will think ill dilute with cow's milk to start...Thank you so much! I'm going to give it a go starting this weekend!!

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 20:58:28 pm »
My ds is 8 and he will happily drink kara coconut milk. Having said that he has not had cow's milk as he was only 10 months when it was confirmed that he was allergic to dairy. If it was me removing dairy I would remove all dairy first of all and wait to see if there was an improvement. If you then did see a difference you could try adding cheese and yogurt back one at a time and see if you notice his skin flare. This is only my opinion though and I know everybody has different opinons on this subject.

Kelly x

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline shinysarah

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 21:24:56 pm »
Hi Kelly,
Thank you so much for the advice. Can I ask why you chose coconut milk? Yes, I think I may take the plunge actually and remove all dairy from his diet to see the greatest impact. He loves his cheese but I need to change something as his eczema is only being managed through cream .

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 22:16:41 pm »
We chose coconut milk simply because it was the one my ds will drink, likes in his cereal and seems to work well when we use it for cooking. My ds was on neocate for a long time as he had a feeding aversion aswell as food allergies and eczema.

Kelly x

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline mariarico

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 20:01:31 pm »
i would cut out all dairy...milk, cheese, yogurt etc...

also, make sure to use all natural detergents, no softeners, use 100% cotton clothing

I would also use UNREFINED coconut oil on the skin rather than creams (full of garbage ingredients that can make it worse)..works great!

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • My grown up boy! 12 months old
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 20:58:11 pm »
Ds 2.5 also drinks coconut milk, we  use this one:

m.tesco.com/mt/www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=271858837

we chose it because we didnt want to use soy & this was the one we found most closely resembles regular milk in appearance, smell & taste. Ds really likes it & didnt have a problem switching to it.  Agree with pps on doing a total elimination diet, then you can be 100% sure if dairy is the culprit.

Fwiw my ds was covered head to toe with eczema, we cut dairy & within 2-3 weeks the eczema was completely gone. Now at 2.5 we find he can tolerate cheese really well, he can also have the occasional yoghurt but if he has one 2 days running he breaks out with a rash/eczema on his face & he has a loose bm. Cows milk causes similar reaction to yoghurt so we avoid it where possible.

Offline chicagomom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 11:08:21 am »
hi!  my 25mo DS is dairy intolerant (horrible diarrhea) and he also cannot drink soy milk (also horrible diarrhea) so you may want to stay clear of soy.  we use oat and almond milks. 

also, DS's eczema FINALLY went away after removing dairy and gluten from his diet.  :)  he had had it since i weaned him at 6 months.