Author Topic: Replacing nipples?  (Read 913 times)

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
Replacing nipples?
« on: January 02, 2013, 02:15:04 am »
Just wondering... so long as the nipples look ok and not broken, do we need to change them ever so often?

DS has been on Dr Brown's level 4 for a good 6 months now, and I foresee he'll still be taking a bottle for at least 6 months, wondering if I should refresh them or not?
Elise

Offline Canadian_Mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
Re: Replacing nipples?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 04:13:42 am »
Hmmm...so I just looked through the "literature" that the public health nurse gave me and there no actual number of months you should use them for. Just the replace if they are cracked, discolored etc. same thing on the nipple package there is no specified time to replace.  But I swear with DS1 it said somewhere (maybe on the nipple package?) that around 3 months you should replace it...
-Nadia

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 05:49:57 am »
Avent suggests changing them every 2-3 months ;)

That said, if you are using silicone and not sterilizing every time you wash, they should stand up fairly well if you have a decent number in rotation.  I had 8 bottles and 8 nipples until DD was 18 months old... she was down to 4 bottles a day by 5 months without a NF, so really, they only got used once every 2 days.  It was even less as time went on...

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 11:56:09 am »
Yes Nadia, same thing I remember reading it somewhere, but can't remember where  :-\

Kara I don't sterilize them anymore, and you're right I have a good rotation. I think I'm going to keep them, since they still look perfectly fine.

Thanks ladies :-*
Elise

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 22:51:26 pm »
FWIW - we have had the same 8 nipples in rotation for over a year now... they are silicone and are like new!  I just refuse to replace them on the hope I can get this kid off a bottle before she turns 16 ;)