Author Topic: 2 mo old - feeding too often???  (Read 2092 times)

Offline Duby

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
2 mo old - feeding too often???
« on: January 02, 2013, 06:35:17 am »
Hello
my DS is eating every 2.5-3 hours during the day but wants to be fed more often in the morning and evenings.
Usually is 6.30 and 8.30 in the morning and 6-8 in the evening, which I consider cluster feeding.
During the nights he usually wakes at 1-1.30 and 4 am but sometimes he wakes an extra time.
Yesterday he had his last feed at 7.30, than woke at midnight, 2.30, 4.30 and 6.40. I'm quite tired of these nights... this morning I woke up very upset cause I feel helpless.
He is a super efficient eater, it takes him only ten minutes to get 90 grams (3oz) and he gained 1.5 kilos in less than two months.

Anyone who's been through this? Do I have to extend time between feeds or just be patient and wait for his to overcome this fase?

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: 2 mo old - feeding too often???
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 06:51:07 am »
Cluster feeding is very common especially in the evenings. My dd is still doing this at 15 weeks.  I go with the flow as this will end when they get a bit bigger.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 14:51:34 pm »
At 2m, it's still common to feed every 2.5 - 3 hours during the day.  There are a few more growth spurts to go in the next couple of months for you too which will likely disrupt things again.
*** Amanda ***

Offline emily_Mae

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 18:11:20 pm »
My DD is 11 weeks and still feeding every 2.5 - 3 hrs. She feeds very often in the evening! Some days she will feed every 2hrs. Recently she has started doing the occasional 4 hrs at night from about 10pm - 2pm then 6.30 , I remember waking for a feed, looking at the clock and being ecstatic she had gone 4 hrs!!
She is also very efficient eater, gained 2.5kg in 11 weeks with ten minute feeds. At around 10 weeks I noticed she has started eating for about 15-20mins and I think it's because her little tummy is getting bigger so I'm hoping she will start feeding less frequent during the days soon.

Offline PaulsMom

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 22:54:33 pm »
Good update!  You will probably find that she has a gs around 3 months but things will start to settle out.  It's a good sign that she is going longer at night.  As her tummy gets bigger, she may be able to go for longer stretches.  My Lo still feeds very frequently in the evenings. 

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 18:24:46 pm »
Any news, Duby?
*** Amanda ***

Offline debvn243

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 08:38:20 am »
Hi Duby,

You are not alone! I could have written that post word for word about my DS. Yesterday we hit the bottom, 7 weeks of no sleep has left me feeling exhausted and useless :( but last night was a bit better and slightly more sleep was had all round and I'm feeling much better today. It's amazing how much sleep has an effect on even the smallest of problems.

I can't tell you when it's going to get better, I wish I had a crystal ball sometimes but just know that you're not the only one finding it tough. 

Keep smiling :)

Offline Duby

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 21:35:05 pm »
Hi
nothing really changed... I tried to introduce the NF but, if before he could last 4-4.30 between the evening feed and the first NF, now it's 3 hours again :-(. I don't know if I must keep on trying or it would be better giving up.
I've also noticed he has some digestive issues going on in the early morning that affects his sleep - he makes noises and moves while sleeping. DH is taking care of him when he wakes too early, even after only 1.5 hour, but in the morning he really wants to eat every 2 hours, there's no way to calm him down otherwise.
My lactation consultant says I can try to stretch out feeds being conscious that in the end I must follow his needs. I know she's right, but it's really hard sometimes!
I know things will improve sooner or later (he's my second one) but I'm quite exhausted and cannot wait to sleep a bit more. We're also doing WI/WO with his 2YO sister, whom we're having an hard time with.

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 21:39:27 pm »
Did you mean a DF?  For some it works, for others it doesn't seem to.  We never did one with either of ours and just let things happen as they happened.

Could your DH take the children for an hour or so between feeds at the weekend so you can catch up a little bit? :-\
*** Amanda ***

Offline Duby

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 07:49:16 am »
yes sorry I meant DF. Now I remember it didn't work with his sister too.
Yesterday he woke at 11.20 by himself... hope he'll start to stretch out feed independently again soon.
I'm lucky DH is very supportive and let me rest or just have a moment for me as often as he can.

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 19:19:39 pm »
Whether you persist with the DF or not is entirely your choice.  I couldn't make it work with DS (could never find the right moment in the sleep cycle to get him to latch on and suck) and just couldn't be bothered to try with DD ;)
*** Amanda ***

Offline Duby

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 20:47:20 pm »
today has been one of those awful ones... DS ate every 2.3 hours, didn't nap (waking after ten minutes all the times I put him down), cried a lot - he has a lot of wind and is in pain. I'm keeping crossed finger for tonight!
PS: thank you all for your support, it's very important to me :-)

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 20:52:18 pm »
Hope tonight is ok :-*
*** Amanda ***

Offline emily_Mae

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 21:33:35 pm »
Hi Duby,

My DD is the same, she suffers digestion problems and wind, has done quite bad from Day 1. I have noticed a slight improvement since week 11 and I'm sure it only gets better. I tried her with gripe water last week and it did help, she can get very fussy before a bowel movement and I'm sure it's belly ache and wind which prevents her from napping properly but the gripe water has settled her a lot.

Hope you get a good night!

Offline Me.and.my.two.boys

• Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 21:38:47 pm »
I dont bother with a DF either, sometimes it just wakes C and takes me longer to settle him, other times he still wakes when he usually would even after the DF so Ive given up.

C is 14 weeks and sometimes still wants to nurse at 2hr intervals in the mornings and evenings (1.5hr this morning!!) I am just going with it and hoping it will even out. We have good days and bad!
Kelly, mum of two amazing boys 2008 and 2012