Author Topic: I think our BF journey is coming to an end  (Read 3990 times)

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
I think our BF journey is coming to an end
« on: January 03, 2013, 12:39:30 pm »
J turns one in four days time.  We've been very gradually reducing the number of feeds over the last few weeks and are now down to one in the morning.  The last couple of days she's not even been that bothered about that one - in fact she was annoyed I took her away from her toys this morning!  She's been feeding perhaps for 3-4 mins then pulling off and signing 'enough', then wanting to play. 

I guess I'm happy.....I thought it was going to be so hard stopping BF but in fact I think I'm going to be more bothered than she is.  My goal was always 12 months and I'm so happy we've made it - I saw the other day less than 1% of mums do - is that right?  I've loved BF - its such a special bond that nobody else can really understand.  Anyway I'm planning on offering until her birthday morning then taking a 'don't offer, don't refuse' approach from then on.  I think I need to set a day like that so I can celebrate the end of our journey, and then any more is a bonus :)

So I guess I just wanted some hands to hold for the next few days, and also to encourage anyone who is worried about how to wean that it does get easier as they get older.  I never thought two months ago that we'd be at this point, but we are, and I can honestly say it has bothered me more than her, though I do believe that now is the right time for us to stop. 

If anyone wants to pm me about how we reduced feeds and stopped the BT feed etc the please do :)

Offline *happy*

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
Re: I think our BF journey is coming to an end
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 12:48:28 pm »
I think I'm going to be more bothered than she is. 

this was totally me....i was so upset at the thoughts of stopping....although i was worse in the days leading up to it than on the actual day itself, iykwim!you're right though-it's such a special bond & i'm so glad i did it. huge huge huge pat on the back to you for reaching your goal.here holding your hand if you need it.xxx :-*

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 12:50:27 pm »
Great news Katherine!! I remember your posts a couple of months ago- it's so nice to see you comfortable ith your decision! Great work getting so far along!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 18:39:10 pm »
I saw the other day less than 1% of mums do - is that right?

Wow I am so surprised, big pat on the back !!

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 19:58:38 pm »
According to UK statistics from 2010 (available here - http://www.ic.nhs.uk/article/2021/Website-Search?productid=9569&q=national+infant+feeding+survey&sort=Relevance&size=10&page=1&area=both#top), only 1% of mothers who have exclusively fed from birth are still doing so at 6 months let alone 12 months, so you've done a grand job, Katherine :-*
*** Amanda ***

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 20:13:29 pm »
Lots of love. One year is amazing!

Offline cuckoochick

• Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 21:26:49 pm »
Well done on getting to 1 year!!! I fed DD until she was 18mos and even now I often get the urge to put her to the breast to nurse so I hear you on your emotional attachment to it. It was just this morning that I actually felt excited about BFIng my next LO which given all the initial difficulties I had surprised me totally!

Hugs Katherine as you go through this next chapter! :-*

*Nicola*

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 02:55:56 am »
Holding hands, we've dropped L's feeds to just BT and night if he so requires over the holiday break and its going well. He's pretty attached to that BT feed though, so it will probably stick around a little longer.

Congrats on making it to 12 months!

Offline nossi

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 04:22:19 am »
Katherine - This is exactly how I felt when my DS was a year old and decided to stop on his own!  I could have written your post.  I always thought I'd be the one to end it, but he literally woke up one morning and decided he didn't want to BF anymore.  I thought I'd be a bit relieved, but I surprised myself by being a bit sad about the relationship ending.  My mixed feelings weren't what I anticipated.  But it only took a matter of weeks to adjust.  Sending you lots of hugs and good thoughts :)  I hope it goes well for you. 

The morning and BT were the last to go for us too.  I just gave him a bottle for both and that was that - he didn't mind.  Winding down my supply was another story.  It took weeks of pumping less and less to finally feel comfortable.  Even when I thought I had no milk left, I'd start to feel full and uncomfortable by the end of the day.  Probably because he stopped so abruptly.  Good luck!

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 06:19:46 am »
According to UK statistics from 2010 (available here - http://www.ic.nhs.uk/article/2021/Website-Search?productid=9569&q=national+infant+feeding+survey&sort=Relevance&size=10&page=1&area=both#top), only 1% of mothers who have exclusively fed from birth are still doing so at 6 months let alone 12 months, so you've done a grand job, Katherine :-*

That's actually for exclusive BFing... so no solids ;) 

Here is the actual info for those still BFing with or without solids:  The prevalence of breastfeeding fell from 81% at birth to 69% at one week, and to 55% at six weeks. At six months, just over a third of mothers (34%) were still breastfeeding.

Either way - good for you Katherine!!!

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 07:18:54 am »
Here is the actual info for those still BFing with or without solids:  The prevalence of breastfeeding fell from 81% at birth to 69% at one week, and to 55% at six weeks. At six months, just over a third of mothers (34%) were still breastfeeding.

Still not very many make it to 6 months, so proud of all of us:))

Offline debvn243

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 11:45:58 am »
Its nice to hear so many of you saying that you'll be sad to give it up, we are just beginning our BF journey and so want to make it to a year but this bit at the start is very very difficult.

Lovely to read that it can be done and enjoyed.  :)

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 11:51:54 am »
Awww thanks everyone :)  was funny - this morning she really wanted a feed but that's perhaps because we brought her into our bedroom instead of taking her straight downstairs as normal.  But it was lovely - I enjoyed my cuddles!

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 16:05:09 pm »
Awww!  Maybe it was just a blip and she isn't ready to wean?

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 20:10:24 pm »
That's actually for exclusive BFing... so no solids ;)

And UK recs are that solids are introduced at some point after 6m.  :P

And you're part of around 23% who continue to be BF at 9m or thereabouts, Katherine
*** Amanda ***