Author Topic: 4:45/5am night waking can't seem to resettle himself.  (Read 2586 times)

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
4:45/5am night waking can't seem to resettle himself.
« on: January 07, 2013, 14:53:13 pm »
Hi all on the recommendation from EASY forum I'm posting here. Here is a link if you want to read all 11 pages. LOL I don't blame you if you wont. 5am wake ups are back I don't think it's an EASY issue?

Basic info. My lo is 7.75 months old (will be 8 months in 10days). Before he was unswaddled we were having 4:45/5am wake ups and he couldn't seem to resettle himself. I thought it was gas etc. I did some tweaking or his routine and took him off solids for a a week. But this was right around the holidays so I think some OS was at fault as well. On top of this I had to break him of his swaddle because he started rolling both ways all of a sudden.

So he's fully unswaddled now in a sleep sack. He can sleep independently but lately a little SA I think may have kicked in and he needs some shush/pat before he'll sleep. But he can usually put himself back to sleep when he wakes in the middle of the night.

My issue is I thought we'd fixed this 4:45/5am NW as he was sleeping till 5:45/6 with a 7pm bedtime but that only lasted a week. We're back to this again. I have to go in and shush him and on a bad day pick him up and hold him. I don't rock etc. But I'm so afraid of OT that he doesn't handle well at all.

Here are the last 2 days. Please let me know what you all think.  He is only on one meal of solids a day and only does about 1.5oz of fruit or veggies in the AM. He wont eat more than that due to refluxing and he's just not a big eater. He does about 20-24oz before bed and then one night feeding around 2am.

Sat:
A:6-9:35
S:9:35
Woke after 1hr25 min
A:11-2:40
S: 2:40-3:50 woke after 45min but I resettled he slept a bit more 1hr10min I had to wake him
A:3:50-7:15 went to sleep pretty well
slept till 2 woke hungry. Downed his bottle but DH tried to settle him and he wasn't having it. I went in and it took me a good 20min to resettle him at that point. Got to sleep by 2:45 woke at 4:45am resettled he slept till 5:30.. I held him in the chair (not rocking) till 6am and then he was up)
He still needs shush/pat in the crib can't seem to settle himself. I'll leave him just kinda babbling ot himself but after about 10min he'll start crying because he can't get comfy. I'll go in shush etc. and he'll go to sleep on his side.

He's finally fully unswaddled in a sleepsack. I"m trying to introduce a lovey to help him self settle but he just wants to play with it and it seems to get him riled up?

Sunday:
A 6-9:45 thougt to extend his A a bit to get a full 1hr30min
Slept 1hr 24mins
S: 9:45-11:09 (rounded to 11:10 :) )
A: 11:10-2:50 Made the mistake of doing another full A with an extension and he was OT by nap time. Didn't go to sleep till 3:05
S: 3:05-4:10  woke at 35 min crying resettled took 15min pu/pd and shush pat but he went back to sleep but only for a short period of time.
A:
S: 7:05
Woke at 1:20 resettled himself, woke at 2 and ate
woke at 4:45 I resettled. Woke up at 5:45 and was up for the day. I left him in the crib till 6am.
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
Re: 4:45/5am night waking can't seem to resettle himself.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 15:04:14 pm »
Any one have thoughts??? He woke today 5:15 I resettled and he slept till 5:30 I resettled and he slept till 6:09.

**Siobhan**

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 20:26:11 pm »
. I"m trying to introduce a lovey to help him self settle but he just wants to play with it and it seems to get him riled up?
This happens with spirited kiddos - sometimes best to use a square of muslin or something without a face or any interesting features ;)

Seems habitual... would you give wake to sleep a go? about 4am...

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 20:40:14 pm »
Yes, I"ll try to do w2s again. :) I thought that might be it. he just wants to play with it. I'll get a soft piece of muslin for him.. Second question. Do you think I should cap his second nap at 3:45 if he goes to sleep at 2:45 or let him sleep till 4?

**Siobhan**

Offline becj86

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 02:38:45 am »
I'd cap it at 1hr because you need to keep BT close to 7 so the day doesn't get too long.

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 15:37:43 pm »
Just wanted to update you.  Night before last he woke at 10pm crying out, but I think it was pain from teething, I resettled and he slept till 4. Ate then struggled to get back to sleep but slept till 6:15. Last night he went to bed early at 6:30 (will explain) and woke at 1 just rolling around and I fell back asleep  I don't know if he did but I don't think he did because I woke again at 2 and he was crying which isn't normal. I fed him and he had a hard time settling back down and slept till 5:45. He has been whiny and cranky all morning which is unlike him ever. I put him down for his nap a bit early at 9:10. For the past 3 days I've been sticking to his A of 3hrs 30min because it was giving us shorter naps like 1hr 18min 1hr 28min but if I try extending he gets OT so I stuck with it. But for the past 3 days he's been waking at 35min head up ready to get up although he's obviously not. I try to shuh/pat and he starts crying so I do pu/pd a few times, he'll fall back down for 5/6min then up again. 75% I can get him back down again but sometimes not. For BOTH naps this has been happening, hence the early BT last night. But he's not a tacker so I have to be careful using EBT.  Any suggestions? dial the A time back again? I tried pain meds yesterday it didn't help.

**Siobhan**

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 20:20:04 pm »
So I went for an A of 3hrs 15min he went down ok but woke after 35min would NOT go back to sleep no matter what I tried. He did for about 5min than woke back up and refused. I don't understand what is going on.. He's obviously OT but I don't know why.. I am so exhausted, he's almost 8 months old for goodness sakes.

**Siobhan**

Offline Charjanemom

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 21:32:51 pm »
Could he be over stimulated? My dd wakes at 20-25 mins and won't go back down if she is over stimulated but will if ot.
Or started a new skill?? Crawling, pulling to standing?

Hugs. We seem to both be in a rough patch for awhile now. It's so hard. I hear ya....you would think by now things would be sorted. But I guess babies are always changing.

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 21:38:50 pm »
I'm so tired I can't even tell you. It's hard to know if he's OS. We didn't do anything different then we do every other day? Sometimes he'll go back down sometimes not. I have no clue what's going on. He's constantly learning something new but he hasn't done anything new in the past couple days.. He is crawling a bit but has been for a couple weeks. But he might be getting ready to pull to standing but hasn't done it yet. I just don't know if I should leave him be even if he doesn't go bsack to sleep. get him up and go back to CN in the afternoon or what. I'm just so scared of OT. It would be ok, if he also didn't have a NW/EW AND issues with eating. It's just all a bit overwhelming.

**Siobhan**

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 03:20:05 am »
Teething pain?  We got short naps with teething this time around, especially the later teeth. 

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 14:14:22 pm »
I guess it could be but I offered meds and they didnt' make a difference. Sometimes he jsut wakes up puts his head up and starts chatting away. So I don't know..

**Siobhan**

Offline becj86

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 21:05:52 pm »
for the past 3 days he's been waking at 35min head up ready to get up although he's obviously not.
This is what DS did when OS - even just TV in the background or daddy being home when he's usually not can make a spirited OS.

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 21:46:07 pm »
Ok although we did nothing different than we always do.  Will try turning off tv etc. So I had DH put him down at an A of 2.5hrs for his second nap. He said he woke after 45min and got grizzly but still got him back down slept for a total of 3hrs. Obviously he needed it. Woke up at 3:30 so we'll do normal BT of 7 and see whats what.

**Siobhan**

Offline becj86

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 22:35:10 pm »
Forgot to point out - if he's a little OT, he'll be more prone to OS - can't cope with as much stimulation when tired.

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 00:02:19 am »
Could be lots of toys with lights that he's gotten.. will try 30min before nap removing that stuff?

**Siobhan**