Author Topic: Babies waking all night long?!?  (Read 1541 times)

Offline BareFootMomma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Babies waking all night long?!?
« on: January 09, 2013, 17:04:10 pm »
I have 19 week old fraternal twin girls, and their nights have turned bad.....really really bad.

To be fair, it is mostly just one of them that is causing a problem. The other one was actually sttn a few days a week, but her nights are getting worse and worse. Baby A is the one having the most trouble

They go to bed around 7:30-8:00 and used to sleep until 1:30-2:00 before one would wake for a feed (usually baby A), then she would go back to sleep until 4:30-5:00, eat again and sleep until their day started at 7:00-7:30.

The past week she (Baby A) has not made it past midnight before waking to eat, sometimes waking as early as 11:00! Then she can't seem to go back to sleep and stay asleep, after I feed her (EBF) she seems to be solidly asleep and I put her back in her crib. She will usually stay asleep for 30 minutes and then wake again. Then she wakes crying every 5-20 minutes for over an hour. Once she finally stays asleep, she will wake up again exactly 3 hrs after she woke the first time. So, if she wakes at 11:30 she will be up again at 2:30 even if it takes her until 1:45 to stay asleep. When I feed her during the night she will eat well for the first feed, but then if I try to feed her at the other wakings she will eat for a minute or two and then suck for comfort until she falls back to sleep. So I am pretty sure she isn't waking out of hunger.

Last night was BAD!! She was up at midnight, ate for almost 20 minutes and was practically snoring when I put her back in the crib. Then she was up 30 minutes later and wouldn't stay asleep until around 2:15-2:30. Then she was back up again at 3!! I fed her at 3 and put her back in her crib. Luckily she stayed asleep until 4 so I got a quick 30 minutes of sleep. She cried and needed me to put her back to sleep every few minutes until around 6:30 and then slept until 7:30.

Baby B's night last night was "bad" as well. Usually if she wakes it is only once and then she will sleep the rest of the night. Last night she also woke at Midnight, but went back to sleep without needing food. Then she was up again at 2:30, ate and was asleep when I put her in her crib, but woke twice before she stayed asleep (something she never does!), then she was up at 5 to eat again.

Their days have been really great! That's why this night stuff has me stumped. I thought that good day sleep = good night sleep. It seems though that the better their days get the worse their nights get. Anyways here is a quick look at our days:

Wake & E - 7:30
A - 8:00 wind down starts around 9:20
S - 9:40-45
E - 11:30
A - 11:50
S - 1:30 - they cant seem to handle as much A time as the day goes on.
E - 3:30
A - 2:00
S - 5:00 - cat nap
Wake - 5:30 - at the same time their nights started falling apart they started waking on their own from this nap.....sometimes after only 20 minutes.
E - 6:00
A - 6:15 - Bedtime routine starts at 7:15 (bath, lotion/massage, PJs, cuddles, swaddle, quick nurse, bed)
S - 7:45

My first thought was that they are getting too much daytime sleep. I have tried lengthening their A times, but as it is now they start trying to fall asleep after only 1:15 hrs and are screaming and melting down by 2 hrs. I cant imagine trying to keep them up for another 15 minutes of screaming and crying. If I put them to bed even 5 minutes before 2:15 hrs of A time they wake early from their naps and cant resettle.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 19:25:51 pm by BareFootMomma »
Brittany, Kaylee 7/22/09, ^Cadence^ 8/3/11 (stillborn with T21 at 34.5 weeks), Alexis & Courtney 8/28/12 - Read about our little family at http://therixmix.blogspot.com

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Babies waking all night long?!?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 10:17:14 am »
Teeth?

2hr-2hr10 is a pretty reasonable A time for them at 4 months - I don't think you necessarily need to extend that too much... quite normal for A times to be slightly different through the day too, some babies like a longer first A time ;)

5:30-7:45 is a LONG time for them to be awake before bed off a catnap. 20min waking is usually OT or pain. Usually at 4 months, babies are having 3 full naps and the last nap shrinks to a 45min CN at around 5 months and the catnap drops around 6-7 months.

Offline BareFootMomma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 21:30:03 pm »
Not sure about teeth yet, but Tylenol and teething tablets haven't seemed to help at all.

If they are supposed to be taking 3 full naps, how long should the naps be? I looked at the example schedules and all of them have LO's taking 2 2 hr naps and a cat nap when they have 2+ hr A times.

Baby A's naps are broken up as well. She almost always wakes slightly at 30 minutes, but is easily resettled. Then she usually wakes after another hour and it is a toss up as to if she goes back to sleep or not.

I don't know if it is relevant or not to the NWings, but I have been topping the girls off with a quick nurse before naps so that they can make it the 4 hrs between feeds. They don't go to sleep nursing so it isn't a prop, but I just figured I would mention it in case it could be a cause.

Last night was odd. They both woke 2-3 times before midnight, until DH fed them at 11:30 then they slept pretty well for the second half of the night. A woke at 2:30, ate, and went right back to sleep, then woke again at 5, ate, and slept until 7. B woke at 3:00, ate, and went back to sleep and woke again at 6:45.

**Edited to add - Thinking through what is going on, I think I may have created a prop :( When either baby wakes during their naps or at night I immediately pick them up and hold them until they are back to sleep before putting them back down. I started doing that mostly to keep them quiet to avoid waking the other baby, but now I am wondering if it is contributing to the NWings. Could they be waking and then not being able to go back to sleep without being picked up?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 21:42:11 pm by BareFootMomma »
Brittany, Kaylee 7/22/09, ^Cadence^ 8/3/11 (stillborn with T21 at 34.5 weeks), Alexis & Courtney 8/28/12 - Read about our little family at http://therixmix.blogspot.com

Offline becj86

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 21:57:36 pm »
If they are supposed to be taking 3 full naps, how long should the naps be? I looked at the example schedules and all of them have LO's taking 2 2 hr naps and a cat nap when they have 2+ hr A times.
Yeah, so if the full naps are 2hr, then you only need a catnap, but three 1.5hr naps is fine too :) something like this:
7 - wake
9 - nap
10:30 - wake
12:30 - nap
2 - wake
4 - nap
5:30 - wake
7:30 - asleep for the night

I don't know if it is relevant or not to the NWings, but I have been topping the girls off with a quick nurse before naps so that they can make it the 4 hrs between feeds. They don't go to sleep nursing so it isn't a prop, but I just figured I would mention it in case it could be a cause.
It could be snacking... Doing a topup 45min-1hr after the first feed will mean its more of a true topup and still have 3hr between feed... Also if you just do 2hr A and 1.5hr naps, they're only going 3.5hr which is usually ok with EBF bubs at this age. You know them best :)

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 01:27:27 am »
My DS is almost 4 months and started doing what your LOs are doing. I stopped picking him up at every cry, and let him self-settle unless he was really worked up, but then I'd just do a quick re-swaddle, put his paci in, and leave. This worked for me last night and it was the first night I tried it. NWings went from about 15x to 4x!

Offline BareFootMomma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 03:45:37 am »
Thank you! I will try the shorter naps tomorrow.

Tonight is going to be BAD. They have only been in bed an hour and I have been in 4 times putting them back to sleep.  >:(

Momma-Bear - I can't let them make too much noise or I have two babies up. That is where the APOP of picking them up to put them back to sleep came in, and if it needs to go, I don't know how on earth I am going to do it. I can't Shh-pat two at once lol!

Offline BareFootMomma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 17:42:11 pm »
Hmm, I tried 2 hrs of A time this morning and got a VERY unsettled nap. I only managed to keep them asleep for 1 hr 15 min, and baby A needed me to go in and shh-pat for a minute or two every 5-10 minutes after the 30 minute mark. Baby B woke once, but went back to sleep with no help from me. Does that seem like UT or discomfort?

Last night was actually really good despite a rough first hour! Once they decided to stay asleep they were only up a couple times during the night! Baby A was up at 1:30, 4:30, and then slept until 7 and Baby B was up at 5 and then slept until 7.

I am still pretty mystified as to what is going on, but I am crossing my fingers that last night wasn't a fluke and we are on our way back to almost sttn.

Offline becj86

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 02:59:56 am »
Does that seem like UT or discomfort?
Doesn't seem like UT - if they were that UT, I'd think they wouldn't resettle, but that's my experience with a spirited munchkin. More likely discomfort or OT...

The first A time looks like it is already 2hr 10. Are we lost in translation?
Wake & E - 7:30
A - 8:00 wind down starts around 9:20
S - 9:40-45