Author Topic: Constipated EBF baby boy  (Read 892 times)

Offline violinica

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 07, 2013, 21:20:27 pm »
Hello

My four month and a half old boy has constant constipation. In the beginning he pooped regularly, then every 3 to 4 ays and the last time he was constipated for 8 days. He woke up with screams and I have decided to provoke his pooping with kind of laxative that I don' want to keep using. Now he hasn't pooped again for 4 days and I don't want to let another 4 days to pass. I am aware that EBF babies don't have to poop everyday but I have a feeling that my baby boy isn't enjoying that. Otherwise he is really healthy boy, 7 kg heavy and 63 cm long. What can I do to help him? Is there any kind of syrup or tea to help? How can I change my diet? Sometimes I have a feeling that constipation influences his sleep because he often has restless dream, he keeps raising his legs up or he twitches his body.

Another thing I would like to know is how to prolonge his sleeping time? During the day if he isn't in the stroller he sleeps 45 minutes sharp. Lately at night he started to wake up every hour and a half. It is not out of hunger. He used to sleep longer when he was younger. Because I am sleep deprived myself I often pick him up and rock him to sleep again because I am afraid he would start crying with only tapping and shshshing. However I have a feeling I am not doing myself a favor as that is not the way he will learn how to self sooth. Any suggestions? Or similar experience? Thanks.

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: Constipated EBF baby boy
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 19:16:16 pm »
DS was much like this.  I don't think he was ever constipated, but had really infrequent bowel movements after the first couple of months (21 days was his record!)

Have you considered baby massage if his tummy does seem to be bothering him?  Sometimes the tummy movements get the bowels moving again. :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline violinica

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 20:33:41 pm »
I am massaging him, we do bicycle movements, everything, I even gave him a tiny little spoon of homemade olive oil and nothing! We are now into the 6th day...

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 20:43:47 pm »
Honestly, we didn't worry too much about DS (not to say we didn't always wonder when he was next going to produce something!!)  If you're really concerned, there's always your doctor/HV/paed (sorry, don't now where abouts in the world you are)
*** Amanda ***

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 08:39:05 am »
DD used to go after every single feed for the first 3 months and then suddenly every 10 days or so. I freaked out too when it started but our Dr said it's normal for EBF babies to even go every 2 weeks.

Prune water helps here when she is constipated. Cover prunes with boiling water, let stand for a few h then give the water. Although DD was on solids by the time she got that so her tummy was used to other stuff besides milk.