Author Topic: 10 month old wakes up every hour to two hours during the night  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Elouise79

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
10 month old wakes up every hour to two hours during the night
« on: January 07, 2013, 23:05:36 pm »
For the last month our 10month old daughter has been waking up every hour or so since we put her to bed at 7pm. Before that, she used to self settle with a pacifier and comforter. She has now started pulling herself up on the cot so every time she wakes up she stands up. If we lie her down she rolls right over again and gets up. The only way to get her to sleep now is to pick her up and rock her and put her down asleep. She will sleep for 45min to 2 hours and wake up again and then do the same thing again. I think she is suffering from separation anxiety as she cries as soon as we walk out the room and teething is also an issue she seems to have discomfort for weeks before a tooth appears and I don't like the thought of giving her painkillers every night for weeks. She has been bottle fed since 7months when she lost interest in breastfeeding. She is a very active baby and never sits still during the day and doesnt drink much formula during the day, usually 4 bottles a day but only usually drinks half the bottle. If we give her a bottle during the night she will usually drink the whole thing

This is our schedule:

8:00am - wake up and bottle
9:00am - breakfast (porridge and fruit)
9:30am - play time
10:30/11:00 - bottle and nap time (usually 45 minutes)
12:00/12:30 - Lunch (solids and fruit)
13:00 - play time
15:00 - bottle and nap time (usually 45 minutes)
16:00 - play time
17:30 - supper time
18:00 - bath time
19:00 - bottle and bed

Any advice of where we are going wrong would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance  :)

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: 10 month old wakes up every hour to two hours during the night
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 03:06:48 am »
A few thoughts --
First off, your first time is most likely way too short for a LO of her age -- average A time at 10 months is about 4 hours.  Stretching that first A time should give you a better nap.

Second, your LO may be in the midst of the 2-1 nap switch.  Have a read of this and see what you think: 10 to 12 mth old Sleep Gone Wonky, and the 2 - 1 Nap Switch

Wakings right after BT is often the result of overtiredness.  If you get one decent nap out of her during the day, along with one shortened nap, she might not be so overtired at BT and sleep better. 

The rocking could also be a problem -- but it's probably best to work on the routine first and try to get rid of some of that overtiredness.

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 03:07:11 am »
How much milk is she taking in a 24hr period? You may find she drinks more if you feed her as soon as she wakes while she's still a little drowsy...

Have a read of this: 10/11 month old sleep gone wonky? Read this first!

She has a very long night - most babies this age have an 11hr night and she's sleeping 13hr?
Opps! Posted with Erin :)

Offline Elouise79

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 20:56:45 pm »
Thanks for your replies and comments - I kept her awake 3.5 hours this morning before putting her down for a nap, she went down very easily, but still woke up after 45mins...whats the best way to get her to extend the nap? I picked up (as she was standing by the time I got to her!) and held her until she fell asleep then put her down and she slept another 45minutes. Would you recommend that I try to extend the morning or afternoon nap as she starts nursery in 2 months when i go back to work and they only do one nap after lunch.

She is drinking around 17ounces of milk a day, will definitely try after she wakes up rather than before. I do agree, she is sleeping a long night time, the issue is that once she gets to our bed (usually early morning) she sleep sooo well and can sleep until 9 if we let her! I am trying to get her up at 7, again in preparation for nursery.

For the last 2 nights she has gone down easily and slept solidly until around 2am. This is definite progress, we now need to work on the fact that she is very restless from 2amish!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 02:22:27 am »
Would you recommend that I try to extend the morning or afternoon nap as she starts nursery in 2 months when i go back to work and they only do one nap after lunch.
Is there one that is consistently better than the other?  I'd extend that one then.  Generally the AM one is easier to extend than the PM one -- if you keep pushing the A time forwards, you eventually lose the second nap all together.

I do agree, she is sleeping a long night time, the issue is that once she gets to our bed (usually early morning) she sleep sooo well and can sleep until 9 if we let her! I am trying to get her up at 7, again in preparation for nursery.
That was a good catch by Bec -- she's only going to sleep so many hours in each 24, so if she is sleeping so soundly at that point, then she's going to make up for it somewhere else by being restless and awake.  I think getting her up at 7 is a good idea.