Author Topic: topping off 101  (Read 1126 times)

Offline carolmeneghetti

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: January 08, 2013, 10:31:10 am »
Hi there:
DD is a 4.5m old EBF refluxer, and a poor sleeper. Trying for a 4h routine (maybe should stick to 3.5h?? DD no longer give me hunger cues... so confused), definitely for at least 1:30, max 2:00 A time, and many cases of EASAS or EASAEAS during the day, due to 30-45-50 min naps.
In different threads I heard about topping off LO for better naps. I´d like to give it a go, since DD seems to have introduced crying for boob in our wind down. Nevertheless, I have a lot of questions about it.
1) Each E time DD is offered only one breast. If I do top off, should I keep offering the same breast or the other?
2) I´ll go back to work in 2 months, so this cannot become a prop. She already uses a paci. How to prevent topping off becoming a prop?
3) If she will be offered a top off, isn't there a risk for her to become a snacker? She is already a super efficient eater, with 6 - 8 minutes off focused feeding, and another 10 - 12 minutes coming and going, distracted by my beautiful brown eyes, or the stretches in my boobs....
4) how long should top off last?
5) When I do go back to work, the person that stays with her will be able to top off with other things, such as juice?
6) As she is a refluxer, and usually stays 20 min up after feeds, do I have to do keep her up for the same time when topping off?
That is what occurs to me now. got to go to try to extend a nap.

Offline carolmeneghetti

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 10:59:41 am »
Sorry, English is not my first language..
Where I wrote "top off", please read "top up"  ;D !!!
An no success extending te nap..

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: topping off 101
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 03:37:22 am »
Hi hun,
I might try feeding at the beginning of your EASY cycle, and then doing a top up feed an hour later -- kind of like where solids will go when you eventually start them.  This way, she's still eating at the times that she would be eating and she's not getting used to feeding to sleep.  When you go back to work in 2 months, you presumably will have started solids, and hopefully you can do some solids mixed with breast milk (or not, it occurs to me that would be a LOT to pump for).

I would nurse from the opposite side and let her nurse as long as she wants to -- you'll know pretty quickly if that is affecting her other feeds and if it is, we can reevaluate and come up with a different plan.  I would still keep her upright for the 20 minutes after, but if you do it early enough in your A time, that shouldn't be a problem.

Does that help?

Offline carolmeneghetti

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 18:32:22 pm »
Hi Erin!
Yeah, that helps a lot, thanks!
another question that occurs me: let's say I start easy with, for instance, right brest, than top up with the left one. On the next proper E time, i should mantain left brest, right? Otherwise i will end with a full feed in one and only top ups in the other...
Where I live I will be able to come home for lunch time when working again, so i will be able to Bf at least 3x a day directly. not an expert yet, but i think i would have to pump for only one more bottle, right? Hopefully it will work.
Thanks once again...

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 23:12:05 pm »
let's say I start easy with, for instance, right brest, than top up with the left one. On the next proper E time, i should mantain left brest, right? Otherwise i will end with a full feed in one and only top ups in the other...
I would agree with you on this one.

Where I live I will be able to come home for lunch time when working again, so i will be able to Bf at least 3x a day directly. not an expert yet, but i think i would have to pump for only one more bottle, right?
Sounds right to me!  Needs for our LOs change a LOT at this age, so it's hard to predict down the road a few months what her needs will be then.  There are lots of ladies on the forum who have experience pumping and working so if you have any questions on that, I would ask away when the time comes!

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 11:06:28 am »
There's also this support thread -  Working moms/mums - come share tips and get support too! #3 - it's been a bit quiet of late, but I suspect all it needs is for someone to start posting and others in a similar position will follow :)
*** Amanda ***