Author Topic: painful latch on one side almost 5 mo  (Read 924 times)

Offline hilis_mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
painful latch on one side almost 5 mo
« on: January 08, 2013, 13:50:09 pm »
A couple of weeks ago due to changes in BF schedule I suffered milk ducts on the right breast. Since than every feed from the right side is very painful and usually hurts for another couple of hours post feeding. I tried changing feeding positions which helps a little but he's getting too big for the football position
Any suggestions?

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: painful latch on one side almost 5 mo
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 19:43:31 pm »
Any other symptoms in you or baby?  I presume, also, that you mean you had some blocked ducts?

Have a little look at this leaflet and see if it's any help too http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/pdfs/Differential_Diagnosis_of_Nipple_Pain_March_2009.pdf
*** Amanda ***

Offline hilis_mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 21:13:54 pm »
Thanks for the reference. I did mean blocked ducts.. I assume it's not a thrush since the other side have not been infected (in over two weeks). When feeding from the right breast it feels as though he's teething on his lower gum but no other signs of teething.

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 21:40:13 pm »
No, probably not if it's still the same after 2 weeks :-\

Sounds like he's not getting his tongue over his bottom gum when he's latching on.  May need to do a 'back to basics' thing and make sure he's opening up nice and wide before latching on.  If you think he might be doing it because of teeth, you could maybe try some topical teething meds and see if he's more comfortable (and you too!)
*** Amanda ***