Author Topic: Help inject some fun into routine 3 yr old and 16 mo  (Read 1628 times)

Offline timmysmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 11
Help inject some fun into routine 3 yr old and 16 mo
« on: January 22, 2013, 02:01:50 am »
H and I are recently separated and I filed for divorce last week(long story in relationships thread) and I'm now home alone with my two kids DS almost 3, and DD almost 16 mo.  I was hoping to get some new fun ideas of special things we can do together so every day doesn't 't feel like Groundhog Day.  I don't do any junk food- just the occasional graham cracker, and I'm having to put on a movie to get dinner made and then cleaned up.  (H used to cook while I played with the kids, then I would clean up after they we t to bed).

Our day:
In the morning, we usually have breakfast, hang out and play, have an early lunch, then DD takes her nap (DS dropped his nap while ago).  While DD naps, DS and I have special time (per AHA parenting blog) and I usually try to get things done off my to do list.  When DD gets up, we usually try to run an errand, or do something to get out of the house.  Then it's movie time (short)  while I get dinner ready- ( we don't have cable or any basic TV channels).  Then another short movie to get dinner cleaned up and then it's bath, clean up, books, and bed.  Nearly everyday we make a tent and play in it, play board games, play music and have a dance party, and try to draw, or color etc.  I am not crafty and would love links to some easy craft ideas.  at least once a week we bake something together, but it is usually a total disaster as the kids fight over everything.  Oh- and DS is a typical high energy boy who hates sharing with DD and DD is a spirited drama queen.  Also high energy.  We play a lot of chase at home, play on the indoor climber and tunnel, go to mall play area etc.  The ideas need to be low cost as money is tight right now!

I am in particular looking for something fun like Monday is ____ night, so I would have something special to look forward to.

I'd love any suggestions!  Thank you!!!

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
Re: Help inject some fun into routine 3 yr old and 16 mo
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 20:20:06 pm »
So our days can be pretty boring...but DD loves to bake, so we bake a lot.  But she also loves to help me cook, maybe you can do pizza night where they each make their own pizza?  This time of year we also try to have fun in the snow and she gets a special hot chocolate treat when we come back inside (basically some warm milk in a sippy with a drop of chocolate sauce, but she loves it ;) ).  We don't do too many craft type things besides just basic colouring, but we've always got tons of stickers in the house and I'll put out a big piece of mural paper that we put stickers all over and draw pictures on.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: Help inject some fun into routine 3 yr old and 16 mo
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 21:07:45 pm »
Are there some play groups around your area that you can tap into, to get a bit of a routine?

An explore around a woodland or other wild place?
Swim? Is that possible with both of them?
Can you make bread dough and let them make up their own shapes, then decorate them with a bit of icing?

I was only home full time over my maternity leave, but our week was structured around meeting up with friends, appointments etc.

Nurseries and schools seem to be experts at making every day different even though the kids are in the same place. Have you thought about copying them and using topics? Eg my DS was really into a tv show set in the sea a while ago, so at nursery they used that theme to teach them about underwater life, did art projects, printed out colouring sheets from the show etc etc. Because the kids were all into it already, they thought it was fab!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015