Author Topic: Switching to a bottle - worried about starving our lo  (Read 1358 times)

Offline murphy76

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Switching to a bottle - worried about starving our lo
« on: January 09, 2013, 19:58:39 pm »
Hi,

I posted a similar question in another thread but think it was the wrong one, so  going to give it a go here as I've noticed similar issues.

We are in the process of switching our 3 mth old DS to a bottle, I have been EBF to date. It's the third day and up until now he only took 9 oz 1 st day, and just over this on the second and third day. I have continued to bf at night, maybe he is just holding out and waiting for this, are they that smart!

My husband is going to take him for 24hrs cold turkey while I go to my
Mums on Friday and I'm
Worried that he hasn't fed that much this weep and if he holds out or doesn't take much on Friday during the 24hrs I'm away, are we putting him in Amy danger?

The tears are worth it if we can get him onto a bottle, this just seems a long way away at the minute....

Any advice or experience shared would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
Re: Switching to a bottle - worried about starving our lo
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 20:22:48 pm »
Thats actually pretty good going for only 3 days on bottles.  I actually don't think its advised to go cold turkey with such a young baby as there is a high risk of dehydration and it is better to go for a slower transition.    Is there a time line for needing to stop or can you take a bit longer to help your LO get used to bottles?

Offline murphy76

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 21:15:09 pm »
Hi shiv,

I have about 2 weeks to make the transition. I'm glad to hear that's good going so far though.

The only reason the cold turkey idea has come up is we have been trying for a few weeks now, 1 or 2 bottles a day, but we're not too persistent with it, and therefore I thought we needed to be courageous.

My
Concern at the moment is if we keep the bottles up during the day, but breast feed at night, will he always suspect the breast is coming and 'hold out'? Although you say it's quite good at the minute about 10oz during the day, I thought I read they need 24-32oz a day at his age and I'm
Worried we can't keep this up before he starts to suffer.

What do you think?

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 21:31:40 pm »
I would say if you haven't been persistent and he's already taking such a good amount then with a bit more persistance you'll get to a good amount before you have to stop.  I don't think at this age they hold out but obviously some have a preference for BFing. It could also be the difference between BM vs formula?

What teat size are you using? 

What about doing BF first thing when hes likely to be hungry so say at 7am.  And for the nxt feed say at 10am.  And don't offer a BF until lunch time.  then go for the bottle for next feed and BF for bed.  Bottle for DF.  Then alternate NFs.  I'd say more exposure and persistance will help.  HOnestly I would try not to worry, he is taking a good amount.  This would also be a better way to do it in terms of reducing your supply gradually as you don't want to end up engorged or with mastitis xx

Offline murphy76

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 21:52:00 pm »
Hi,

I'll have to check the teat size, I'm upstairs but I'll let you know tmrw and you can tell me if you think it's right for his age.

Experience to date points to the fact that he'll hold out from the bottle and just wait for the next breast feed, but perhaps over a longer period and keeping the time of the feed we try that at constant, then this might change.

I really appreciate your thoughts here, DH wants to help more and I want him too, especially at night but as DS doesn't take a bottle this hasn't been possible, so any hope is always welcome !

Thanks, I'll let you know the tray size tmrw

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 21:55:54 pm »
No worries.

So are you stopping BFing altogether or just until you get him taking a bottle.

Well maybe do bottle feed 7 10 and 1pm?

Offline murphy76

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 09:31:06 am »
Hi Shiv,

It is a medium flow teat that we have been using, 0-6mths.

I am stopping altogether as with a return to work and a few other things it makes sense. I have enjoyed breast feeding this time, like i did with our two year old DS, but it is unfortunately no longer feasible.

The one problem when this is being established is that at night he is up 4-5 times, feeding every 2 hours.  i think this is due to not getting enough food during the day, which is understandable. But do you think this is temporary until we get the bottle established during the day, he is taking more, and then we can work on the night time bottle? i don't want to try and stretch the night feeds out if it is a hunger thing and a reflection on his day time. is it best to work on one at a time, just put up with the multiple night wakenings until we are confident the daytime bottle is in and then hopefully a) they will decrease as he will have taken on more food and b) we can start to work on them confident it is not a hunger thing and try to establish the bottle at night too?

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 11:21:24 am »
Hi there :)

Shiv may disagree, but I'd do as you said with regard to NFs.  Again, as you say, this is most likely a temporary problem and once you've got bottles established he'll probably be less hungry during the night and happier to take a bottle then as well.
*** Amanda ***

Offline murphy76

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 19:49:49 pm »
Thanks fiver

Well I'll stick with bottle during the day and breast at night until he is established on the bottle and tackle it like that, in two goes so to speak.

Hopefully something gives soon, I hate to see him upset.

Fingers crossed....

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 17:01:21 pm »
Good luck :)
*** Amanda ***