Author Topic: Refusing to eat from one side :(  (Read 895 times)

Offline Me.and.my.two.boys

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
  • Me and my boys ❤️
Refusing to eat from one side :(
« on: January 10, 2013, 09:43:25 am »
since yesterday C has refused to eat from my left breast :( my left is always the one that feels less full and I always get much less when expressing from it so Im guessing it has a slower flow and he doesnt like it?

During the night I managed to get him to drink a little from it but he kept taking a few sucks and pulling off and getting frustrated! This morning he wouldnt even latch, he was just screaming but latched fine to the other side. I offered it again after he fed from the right and he took a few sucks and kept pulling off like he did during the night!

Please help, what can I do?
Kelly, mum of two amazing boys 2008 and 2012

Offline PaulsMom

Re: Refusing to eat from one side :(
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 11:03:12 am »
Is your let down coming right away?  I know that my dd gets frustrated if it takes a moment for my let down to occur.  I think she gets impatient and is expecting the milk to just flow because she's there  ::).  I just keep on putting her back on and try to relax myself so that the milk starts flowing. 

The other thought I had is if its a positional thing for C and his reflux (Im wondering if the screaming is pain related rather than frustration  ???)?  If you try a different hold on the left side does he still scream?  Also is he arching? 

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 19:23:41 pm »
Have you tried using breast compressions (Breast compression) to keep him interested?  Or pumping or hand expressing just a bit to get things started before latching?

Offline Me.and.my.two.boys

• Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 21:17:00 pm »
I've tried everything! Tried hand expressing a little shoe would taste it when he latched, tried different positions, try and do compressions when he does latch but that isn't at all today :( for his 2pm feed I fed from my right and have him 3oz EBM then at 5 he was screaming, I think it must have been related to his reflux!! He was trying to feed from the right but there wasn't much milk I don't think, when he was swallowing he was screaming! I took me ages to calm him after that feed. I tried him on both breasts at 7 and he fed from the right for a few minutes but started fussing (I don't think he was getting anything) and cried when I tried to get him latched to the left!! I gave him 5oz formula because there's no way he would manage to sleep on an empty tummy. He has had formula before and I don't mind if its the odd bottle but I really would rather not have to so this :( I feel so sad like I'm doing something wrong :'(
Kelly, mum of two amazing boys 2008 and 2012

Offline PaulsMom

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 21:36:57 pm »
Oh hugs Kelly.  The odd bottle of formula is fine and if it settles him down after a rough day.  I think it's probably his reflux too, making him uncomfortable.  I'm hoping that new meds can get things under control.  Wrt single sided feeding, your body will adjust o make enough milk if C only feeds from one side. I was essentially doing his with DS towards the end.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 17:03:06 pm »
If it's just one side and suddenly, would it be possible that he's got an ear infection or something like that?
*** Amanda ***