Author Topic: 4 mo old DS consuming 32-35 oz daily yet still waking for 2 night feeds  (Read 1187 times)

Offline KathG

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Dylan
I don't know if this is for the bottle feeding forum or sleep forum but my question is...
My 16 week old DS is consuming 32 to 35 oz formula (which is the max recommended for babies up til solids start) so its a lot for a 16 wk old but he is still waking between 1 - 2am and then 5 - 6 am for 2 night feeds.
Books I read, people I talk to, websites I read all seem to point to a 4 month old (7 kgs now!) sleeping through at least the 2am feed.   
He has slept through from 7pm - 4am only 2 nights.
Sometimes I tank him up in the evening for his last feed with that extra 5ozs (over and above his 32oz that he should really only have) yet he still wakes at 2ish.
Is this habitual waking or real hunger?  I try to push him through it by putting his dummy in. He goes to sleep for 10 mins then wakes again and gets niggly.
Should I be putting him onto a teaspoon of rice cereal to get him to sleep in the night more appropriately for his age?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 4 mo old DS consuming 32-35 oz daily yet still waking for 2 night feeds
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 12:35:09 pm »
My 16 week old DS is consuming 32 to 35 oz formula (which is the max recommended for babies up til solids start)

Has your Dr told you this? The UK guidelines are to feed to appetite and I've never come across anyone who has been told an upper limit to feed your baby. Babies are very good at self regulating and don't generally over eat, bigger babies need more calories to maintain their weight and grow.

Some 4 month olds will sleep through, most don't - have you tried a dreamfeed to see if the 1am feed gets pushed closer towards morning which should mean he doesn't wake for the 5am feed? 2 night feeds at this age are totally normal for some babies though.

If you replug the dummy and he is still niggly and doesn't settle then he is hungry.

I wouldn't give rice yet, it won't help him sleep and could well make things worse as rice is very hard to digest and could make his sleep worse. He is also too young for it really - 6 months is what they recommend for solids.

What are his naps like during the day?

Laura