Author Topic: Bad habit!! Won't drink unless distracted with toys  (Read 7968 times)

Offline kakacarmen

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Bad habit!! Won't drink unless distracted with toys
« on: January 12, 2013, 07:47:53 am »
Hi,
My DS will be 8 months in 2days :), he was EBF until around 7 months then we change him to bottle. When he was EBF, he wasn't feeding well at all and losing weight. Then after we changed him onto bottle, his weight improved as I could monitor the amount he has taken. But since the beginning, we had to distract him with toys when he's on the bottle otherwise he will push it out and wants to roll to his front and play, even after only drink half an ounce.  ??? I am afraid this is already turned into bad habit as I started to need to change more and more toys during the feed  :-\ , anyone got any suggestion what I can do?
He is currently on 3 feeds a day, 1 in the morning after wake up, 1 after lunch, 1 before bedtime and he has been having around 18 oz from the bottle each day. I can't put any dairy and soy in his solids as he is allergic to both. TIA

Offline barbaraz78

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
Re: Bad habit!! Won't drink unless distracted with toys
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 07:55:21 am »
Have you tried feeding him in the dark? When I was ebf this was the only way ds could have a good feed from 4 mo. Anyway, when time passes milk becomes less important and in few months you can start wirrying less aboutmilk inake because he will eat more solids.
Barbara

Offline *happy*

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 20:08:54 pm »
i feel your pain!DD was a nightmare when it came to bottles!!!it slowly improved though,if that makes you feel any better!
i found it worked better if i sat her on the couch & knelt in front of her on the ground, feeding her that way as opposed to on my lap.she ALWAYS holds the bottle cap though-it was our compromise!!!the xmas tree lights were our life saver in dec-they were a perfect distraction!i was dreading taking it down but she's much improved now!

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 22:55:34 pm »
18 ozs isn't the end of the world :)  20ozs is the recommended min so he isn't too far off that really.

I agree with feeding in the dark - gives LO very little to be occupied with and they can get the feed in and move on with being busy babies :)

Offline barbaraz78

• In the fall...
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 23:33:31 pm »
The other thing you can do is adding formula to his solids. Like mixing cereal or fruit with formula milk.
Barbara

Offline kakacarmen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 09:09:56 am »
Have you tried feeding him in the dark? When I was ebf this was the only way ds could have a good feed from 4 mo. Anyway, when time passes milk becomes less important and in few months you can start wirrying less aboutmilk inake because he will eat more solids.

Yeah, I fed him in the dark from 3 months onward but still doesn't work and he's drinking less and less

Offline *happy*

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 09:12:51 am »
teething perhaps?
i was stressing myself out bigtime re DD's milk intake when i weaned her, but i gradually saw a pattern that she would drink less when she was teething, & go back to normal then after.during that time, i used to just add extra milk to all her food-it made it runnier than i'd haev liked, but at least i felt like i was gettign in that extra oz or 2 .xxx

Offline kakacarmen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 09:22:46 am »
Feeding in the dark doesn't work for him and he won't let me hold him on my lap while feeding so I have always placed him on his chairs, carseat, or any flat surface with pillows, but he gets bored and then started to roll to his front all the time, so I started putting tv on and all sorts of toys to distract him, and now I think he has got to a point where I can't use the same toys anymore, only new things can distract him  :(

I am worried at this rate he might not drink at all when I have run out of entertainment ideas at bottle times... :-\

He also isn't that good on solids neither, he will have a few mouthfuls and push the spoon away but I think at the moment the most important is milk so I dont' wanna make a big issue out of it....

Offline *happy*

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 09:25:51 am »
does he take the bottle any better from other people?

Offline kakacarmen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 09:29:25 am »
teething perhaps?
i was stressing myself out bigtime re DD's milk intake when i weaned her, but i gradually saw a pattern that she would drink less when she was teething, & go back to normal then after.during that time, i used to just add extra milk to all her food-it made it runnier than i'd haev liked, but at least i felt like i was gettign in that extra oz or 2 .xxx

He's not really showing any signs of teething at the moment either

Offline kakacarmen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 09:33:42 am »
oh, and I also tried stopping the feed as soon as he push the bottle out without distraction and offer again every hour... and he ended up just having 7oz from 6am til 4pm all day then I got really worried and start getting the toys out again.....

Apart from this feeding problem, he is generally a very happy and active baby so I don't think he's unwell either

Offline *happy*

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 09:56:46 am »
sorry hun, i'm all out of ideas!FTM here too,so just feeling my way along.hpoefully someone else will have different advice for you.xxx

Offline kakacarmen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 13:00:07 pm »
FTM
Actually, only me and DH has tried giving bottle, gonna get my parents to give a go next week when we go visit :)

Offline kakacarmen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 13:03:43 pm »
Thanks happy for your suggestions  :)
I do feel that I have kind of tried everything, just hoping it's a phase and it will pass

Offline barbaraz78

• In the fall...
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 20:07:14 pm »
Has he reflux? Maybe he's uncomfortable after feeding so he doesn't like to.
Barbara

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 22:45:19 pm »
Have you tried offering his formula in a sippy/straw cup?

Offline kakacarmen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 09:38:11 am »
Has he reflux? Maybe he's uncomfortable after feeding so he doesn't like to.
I have asked my doctor about reflux when I was EBF before as DS was not feeding well on the breast either, but doctor said he doesn't think this is the case....

Offline kakacarmen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 09:43:16 am »
Have you tried offering his formula in a sippy/straw cup?
I have been trying sippy cup before trying bottle (I am still trying to offer water at meal times) but he spits out whatever that is in the cup, I haven't tried straw cup yet as they all says 12months+ on the label, can babies at 8months able to master that? I guess no harm trying as I hope he will have to drink out from something other than bottle at some point

Offline barbaraz78

• In the fall...
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 12:13:34 pm »
I have asked my doctor about reflux when I was EBF before as DS was not feeding well on the breast either, but doctor said he doesn't think this is the case....
I'm not an expert (DS was also a reflux baby and here doctors underestimate it and treat it only if they don't gain weight) but I think that to see reflux you need some exam like a scan... ???
Moreover, the fact that he doesn't eat even if he has to be hungry indicates there could be something that disturbs him. I would check again with the doctor...
Barbara

Offline kakacarmen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 18:42:59 pm »
I'm not an expert (DS was also a reflux baby and here doctors underestimate it and treat it only if they don't gain weight) but I think that to see reflux you need some exam like a scan... ???
Moreover, the fact that he doesn't eat even if he has to be hungry indicates there could be something that disturbs him. I would check again with the doctor...

That's quite true, he has never cries or scream for milk or food since he's born, will make an appointment to see the doctor again. Especially now it seems to me the novelty of having toys or tv on during feed time is wearing off, I am worried that at this rate, he will lose weight again...

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 20:21:52 pm »
He has lost weight before???  This is common with reflux...

Offline kakacarmen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 18:18:25 pm »
He has lost weight before???  This is common with reflux...
Yes, he had two dips in weight between 5-7months, I am concerned with his weights although he has been gaining weight but his percentile has consistently fall from 75th at 1month old to now 25th at 8months. Both health visitors and doctors have said that his weight is still fine despite this...
So I am going to see the doctors again about the reflux and see what he says

Offline barbaraz78

• In the fall...
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 19:17:55 pm »
Yes, making some specific exam won't be a damn for anybody.
Barbara

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 23:05:28 pm »
i would push further hun... it's not okay to drop percentiles like that.  The number itself does not matter, baby staying consistent does.

Offline kakacarmen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 08:58:30 am »
So now I got the gaviscon from the doctor now, gonna try that for the next feed, does anyone have any experience on how fast working it can be?

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 16:06:06 pm »
I believe Gaviscon works right away for the most part as it just thickens the feed in baby's tummy.  Will get some reflux mommas to check though...

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 21:19:48 pm »
Hello again,

Have been told that you are actually better served to use a reflux formula (often labelled as Thickened) than standard formula and Gaviscon for the most part... the gaviscon will work immediately though -it forms a sort of floating lid over the top of the milk keeping it from refluxing back up...

Which country are you in kakacarmen?

Offline kakacarmen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2013, 19:01:36 pm »
Hello again,

Have been told that you are actually better served to use a reflux formula (often labelled as Thickened) than standard formula and Gaviscon for the most part... the gaviscon will work immediately though -it forms a sort of floating lid over the top of the milk keeping it from refluxing back up...

Which country are you in kakacarmen?

DS is allergic to cows milk and soy so he is on a prescribed formula called aptamil peptit 2. I have tried the gaviscon for 4 feeds and don't think it had made any difference. So I am not sure if I should carry on and see for a few more days??
And the toys is really losing its magic by now, so yesterday he only had about 15oz in total (completely refused all solids, apart from the fruit and avocado mix) It seems to me he can't sit still for the feedings because he is very active and always wants to play. So today I stopped giving the toys and he took 3 oz in the morning (he slept thru the night so last feed was previous day), I tried again 1 hr later and took 2 more, after his morning nap, he did pretty much the same thing and took 4.5 in total. Then when I tried to feed him his bedtime bottle just now, he had 1 oz and seal his mouth, so at the risk of creating another bad habit, I dipped a bit of fruit puree on the teat and he took 6 more oz in the end, I really don't know what else to do but I am desperate to get the milk in him, I got the feeling this fruit puree will only work for a short time again  :(

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 22:24:06 pm »
Hmmm, I am going to get some mommas with some experience around reflux to have a look at this hun...

Not sure it is uncontrolled reflux or something more... since he will take the milk, I do think it might be a habit partially... hang in there!

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2013, 01:42:16 am »
Hey there! I agree, it could be reflux. Have you seen this?

Reflux 101 - General reflux information

Is the Gaviscon helping at all?

If the Aptamil Peptit 2 the only formula he's tried? Could it be he doesn't like it? Could you try another hypo allergenic formula to see if he does better?

Is there any chance that he is tongue tied, or anything else is physically bothering him when drinking?

It may not resolve the cause of your issues... but we used this bottle with my refluxer and he'd happily drink a full 8 oz whereas if I fed him the 'traditional' way, he'd only take a few oz.... his favorite was going for a walk in the stroller with this, he'd love it. :)

http://www.podee.com/
Elise

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2013, 22:27:27 pm »
Have you ever had him checked by a lactation consultant or doctor who specializes in tongue ties??  poor eating could be caused by a TT for sure.

Offline kakacarmen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 09:13:01 am »

Reflux 101 - General reflux information

Is the Gaviscon helping at all?
Hi sorry it takes me so long to reply, we have gone away to the far east to visit DS's great grandma. His feeding has since then gone from bad to worse, now i am happy just to get 5 oz in him each feed.
I have tried the gaviscon for a few days and i havenn't noticed any differences so I stopped after 3days.
The aptimal peptit is the only one he tried and I think you might be right, he doesn't like the taste of it, I used to mix my EBM with the formula and he took it ok in the beginning but as my milk supply dries up, he get more and more difficult to feed. I tried water the aptamil down a bit to dilute the taste and I thik it helped a bit. I can't really change the formula for at least the next week or so as we won;t be back til end of the month.
I have another post on the allergy forum and one of the mums suggested coconut milk as a source of calcium and wondered if I could try and mix some of it in the formula to mask the taste so he will drink a bit more??
The podee looks like a really good idea because he likes to look around when feeding and the bottle gets in the way, will definitely give that a try and getting one on order. Thanks for this suggestion as I have no idea they even exist!!:)

Offline kakacarmen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 09:19:15 am »
Have you ever had him checked by a lactation consultant or doctor who specializes in tongue ties??  poor eating could be caused by a TT for sure.

I haven't actually, but I don't think the doctors in here will do anything unitl he has dropped below a certain weight cos they keep saying his weight is fine (although I don't think it is) with the way he is feeding at the moment, I am not surprise he will drop some more weight to be honest, then I can see what they this time, I really hope they will do something this time

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 05:45:16 am »
I have another post on the allergy forum and one of the mums suggested coconut milk as a source of calcium and wondered if I could try and mix some of it in the formula to mask the taste so he will drink a bit more??

Really depends for this one... not all coconut milk is fortified with calcium.  Also, there is the concern of allergy (though a reaction to coconut is not overly common, you just have to watch for other cross contaminants like soy in the brand you choose).  That said, not all LOs will take coconut milk either - my DD isn't a fan at all... she refused a mix of 4 ozs formula and 1 oz coconut milk...

Where are you located?

Offline kakacarmen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2013, 10:34:48 am »

Really depends for this one... not all coconut milk is fortified with calcium.  Also, there is the concern of allergy (though a reaction to coconut is not overly common, you just have to watch for other cross contaminants like soy in the brand you choose).  That said, not all LOs will take coconut milk either - my DD isn't a fan at all... she refused a mix of 4 ozs formula and 1 oz coconut milk...

Where are you located?

We tried with coconut milk anyway because we are getting desperate to get just anything in him but it's not helping so we just went back to full formula...DS feeding is getting to a new level of little as I suspect that he is teething as well, and we are struggling to get even 10oz in him a day and he won't drink other fluids either. I have also noticed that his sucking is not very efficient past few days as I could see that he is sucking for 5min but only taken half an oz, I tried faster flow teat but not helping...you mentioned something about tougue tie, is it possible this could be something developed recently?
We are located in the UK but we are out in Hong Kong at the moment so there isnt a lot I can do apart from keep trying, we are going back in a few days.

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2013, 13:06:55 pm »
I don't think a tongue tie would something that develops over time. Usually they are born with it.

http://www.tonguetie.net/

Elise