Author Topic: Bad habit!! Won't drink unless distracted with toys  (Read 7978 times)

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Bad habit!! Won't drink unless distracted with toys
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 22:45:19 pm »
Have you tried offering his formula in a sippy/straw cup?

Offline kakacarmen

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 09:38:11 am »
Has he reflux? Maybe he's uncomfortable after feeding so he doesn't like to.
I have asked my doctor about reflux when I was EBF before as DS was not feeding well on the breast either, but doctor said he doesn't think this is the case....

Offline kakacarmen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 09:43:16 am »
Have you tried offering his formula in a sippy/straw cup?
I have been trying sippy cup before trying bottle (I am still trying to offer water at meal times) but he spits out whatever that is in the cup, I haven't tried straw cup yet as they all says 12months+ on the label, can babies at 8months able to master that? I guess no harm trying as I hope he will have to drink out from something other than bottle at some point

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 12:13:34 pm »
I have asked my doctor about reflux when I was EBF before as DS was not feeding well on the breast either, but doctor said he doesn't think this is the case....
I'm not an expert (DS was also a reflux baby and here doctors underestimate it and treat it only if they don't gain weight) but I think that to see reflux you need some exam like a scan... ???
Moreover, the fact that he doesn't eat even if he has to be hungry indicates there could be something that disturbs him. I would check again with the doctor...
Barbara

Offline kakacarmen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 18:42:59 pm »
I'm not an expert (DS was also a reflux baby and here doctors underestimate it and treat it only if they don't gain weight) but I think that to see reflux you need some exam like a scan... ???
Moreover, the fact that he doesn't eat even if he has to be hungry indicates there could be something that disturbs him. I would check again with the doctor...

That's quite true, he has never cries or scream for milk or food since he's born, will make an appointment to see the doctor again. Especially now it seems to me the novelty of having toys or tv on during feed time is wearing off, I am worried that at this rate, he will lose weight again...

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 20:21:52 pm »
He has lost weight before???  This is common with reflux...

Offline kakacarmen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 18:18:25 pm »
He has lost weight before???  This is common with reflux...
Yes, he had two dips in weight between 5-7months, I am concerned with his weights although he has been gaining weight but his percentile has consistently fall from 75th at 1month old to now 25th at 8months. Both health visitors and doctors have said that his weight is still fine despite this...
So I am going to see the doctors again about the reflux and see what he says

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 19:17:55 pm »
Yes, making some specific exam won't be a damn for anybody.
Barbara

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 23:05:28 pm »
i would push further hun... it's not okay to drop percentiles like that.  The number itself does not matter, baby staying consistent does.

Offline kakacarmen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 08:58:30 am »
So now I got the gaviscon from the doctor now, gonna try that for the next feed, does anyone have any experience on how fast working it can be?

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 16:06:06 pm »
I believe Gaviscon works right away for the most part as it just thickens the feed in baby's tummy.  Will get some reflux mommas to check though...

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 21:19:48 pm »
Hello again,

Have been told that you are actually better served to use a reflux formula (often labelled as Thickened) than standard formula and Gaviscon for the most part... the gaviscon will work immediately though -it forms a sort of floating lid over the top of the milk keeping it from refluxing back up...

Which country are you in kakacarmen?

Offline kakacarmen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2013, 19:01:36 pm »
Hello again,

Have been told that you are actually better served to use a reflux formula (often labelled as Thickened) than standard formula and Gaviscon for the most part... the gaviscon will work immediately though -it forms a sort of floating lid over the top of the milk keeping it from refluxing back up...

Which country are you in kakacarmen?

DS is allergic to cows milk and soy so he is on a prescribed formula called aptamil peptit 2. I have tried the gaviscon for 4 feeds and don't think it had made any difference. So I am not sure if I should carry on and see for a few more days??
And the toys is really losing its magic by now, so yesterday he only had about 15oz in total (completely refused all solids, apart from the fruit and avocado mix) It seems to me he can't sit still for the feedings because he is very active and always wants to play. So today I stopped giving the toys and he took 3 oz in the morning (he slept thru the night so last feed was previous day), I tried again 1 hr later and took 2 more, after his morning nap, he did pretty much the same thing and took 4.5 in total. Then when I tried to feed him his bedtime bottle just now, he had 1 oz and seal his mouth, so at the risk of creating another bad habit, I dipped a bit of fruit puree on the teat and he took 6 more oz in the end, I really don't know what else to do but I am desperate to get the milk in him, I got the feeling this fruit puree will only work for a short time again  :(

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 22:24:06 pm »
Hmmm, I am going to get some mommas with some experience around reflux to have a look at this hun...

Not sure it is uncontrolled reflux or something more... since he will take the milk, I do think it might be a habit partially... hang in there!

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2013, 01:42:16 am »
Hey there! I agree, it could be reflux. Have you seen this?

Reflux 101 - General reflux information

Is the Gaviscon helping at all?

If the Aptamil Peptit 2 the only formula he's tried? Could it be he doesn't like it? Could you try another hypo allergenic formula to see if he does better?

Is there any chance that he is tongue tied, or anything else is physically bothering him when drinking?

It may not resolve the cause of your issues... but we used this bottle with my refluxer and he'd happily drink a full 8 oz whereas if I fed him the 'traditional' way, he'd only take a few oz.... his favorite was going for a walk in the stroller with this, he'd love it. :)

http://www.podee.com/
Elise