Author Topic: Need some encouragement - will this ever end?!  (Read 942 times)

Offline Moogleit

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Need some encouragement - will this ever end?!
« on: January 13, 2013, 03:40:05 am »
My DD is almost 6.5 mos and for the past 2 weeks her nighttime sleep has been basically horrible! She has been rolling for about a month but she's really gotten the hang of it now along with figuring out how to get up on her hands and knees, and it's wreaking havoc. She takes a bit longer to settle as she rolls around a bit before getting comfy and then she wakes up way too many times through the night because she ends up on her back and get stuck (she's a tummy sleeper). We have been giving her tons of floor time to practice but it doesn't seem to be getting any better. I know you can buy sleep positioners but I kind of feel like that isn't actually dealing with the issue. I'm wondering how much I should be intervening? Usually if she is just trying to settle herself and not crying I leave her to it for at least a few minutes but as soon as she ends up on her back she starts crying. Do I let her try and right herself?
I have also found myself falling into accidental parenting out of sheer exhaustion and feeding her probably more often during the night than she needs (sometimes 2 times) which I don't want to make a habit! It's so frustrating as her nights we going so well before the holidays. On a positive note, her naps are SO much better than they were! We have figured out the sweet spot with A time for her so for that I'm grateful.

Anyways, I know this is just another bump in the road but any tips, tricks or insight would be amazing!

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Need some encouragement - will this ever end?!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 10:31:55 am »
She's in the middle of a mental leap: http://www.thewonderweeks.com/index.php/about-the-wonder-weeks/your-babys-10-leaps/mental-leap-5
Also the physical milestones being met... sleep disturbance is pretty much par for the course, unfortunately. It will get better.

What's your day look like now?

Offline Moogleit

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 16:53:29 pm »
We just recently transitioned to a longer A time so yesterday looked something like this....

W/BF 7am
A 2hr50min
Solids 830
S 950 am
W/BF 1140am
A 3hr30min (out running errands and got held up, not usual A time)
Solids 1230
S 310pm
W/BF 355pm (she was OT I'm guessing)
A 2hr3min or so
Solids 545
Bedtime 630ish

We're working towards a 3hr A time and only 2 naps. There are still days when she wakes up earlier and has a CN in the late afternoon.

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 01:27:39 am »
S 310pm
W/BF 355pm (she was OT I'm guessing)
45 min naps aren't usually OT... are they for her? Could be overstimulation too...

Once you get that two nap routine going consistently, you should see the nights improve.