Author Topic: Weaning thread part 3... Come share experiences and offer support  (Read 213808 times)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
This thread is for support and advice of weaning breast feeding

Continued from WEANING thread #2... Come share experiences and offer support
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Kangarruu

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • My Little Guppy
Re: Weaning thread part 3... Come share experiences and offer support
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 19:44:05 pm »
Hi everyone,
My DD just turned a year on Jan 10th and I had decided to stop pumping at work about a week before. We introduced cow's milk into her afternoon sippy cups and she barely even noticed. She stretched out her milk drinking over the day, rather than at set times like she used to. But other than that she adjusted well.

However, this past week DD has stopped wanting to nurse at bedtime and mornings. At first it just showed through her biting. She would nurse a little and then bite down and pull ...ow to say the least. I would immediately take her off, say a stern "no biting" and put her down. When she would climb back into my lap, I would let her relatch, but she would just bite down again. I would do it 2-3 times, and if she continued I'd just skip the nursing and offer her a sippy cup a few minutes later. Now when I sit down to nurse with her she just turns her head or lays down with her mouth closed. I thought the biting was related to teething and maybe she doesn't want to nurse for that reason, but is this just her self-weaning?

It seems so abrupt it caught me off guard, and I'm feeling a little emotional about it. I'm pumping a little at night for relief and to maintain my supply a little longer. A part of me is saying to just take this opportunity to stop nursing since it's a natural transition, but the other part of me is missing the closeness. Any thoughts?

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 22:42:50 pm »
Hugs Kanga. If you decide you want to take this opportunity to wean then I know many mamas find a temporary loss of interest is an easy time to do so. If you decide you want to continue then I think all you can do is offer and one day she may take it again. Perhaps set a time limit on how long you will offer for and if she doesn't take any in that time and you still feel ok about you could just stop offering?

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 01:40:57 am »
I weaned my dd1 when she was doing a lot of biting, she was just under a year.  I think, like Ali said, it really all depends on what you're aiming for.  If you really want to nurse longer, you can persist and I think she'll come back to it eventually.  If not, you can move forward without nursing and she'll be fine.  (((hugs))), not an easy decision to make!

Offline Kangarruu

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • My Little Guppy
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 18:25:08 pm »
Thanks ladies. I did try to offer a few more times but I think she's maintaining her position lol. I guess once they're ready to stop they just know what they want. Her  milk intake has increased by a lot over the last week, and I doubt she was getting that much from BF/sippy cup combo, so I guess it's all for the best.

It was nice just rolling over this morning and having DH take DD out of the room :)

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 19:45:55 pm »
Sounds like a nice way to wean :)

Offline Little toes

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 02:55:51 am »
Hoping to get some advice.....DS is a boob boy and TBH I think I've had enough. I feel bad saying that but lately the feeds are painful and I just wish he'd take a bottle. I've tried to get him on a bottle for months now and always end up giving up, then after a week or so trying again. He's never cared for a bottle and I was always easier for me to BF. I thought he'd have weaned himself by now but the boy wants what he wants. When he does take a bottle its only an ounce or two. Then when I'm holding him to fall asleep, he turns his head in towards me and asks (doesn't talk yet but I know what he wants). At his age should I even try a bottle still? DD was stuck on a bottle til recently so I don't want to drag it on like I did with her. Not sure what to do.....

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 19:42:32 pm »
I wouldn't bother with a bottle at this stage. Will he take a sippy/straw cup/open cup?
*** Amanda ***

Offline Little toes

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 02:27:01 am »
He drinks from a sippy, just water during the day. He wants to BF at nap and bedtime, a habit.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 12:10:25 pm »
What if you offer a treat like hot choc in a sippy in place of the BF before the nap or BT? You can make it weaker to wean off it later.

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 23:31:39 pm »
I am ready to wean ds2 now he is 2 but he is a boobaholic. I don't even know where to start. I have been doing don't offer don't refuse for months now but he asks a lot still.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 18:33:11 pm »
Will a bit of distraction work, or have you already tried that too?
*** Amanda ***

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 03:26:32 am »
When's he feeding right now?

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 22:14:59 pm »
Sorry girls for the slow reply. He hasn't fed ON for a good yr. He feeds at wu and BT and usually 1 or 2x in the day (either around his nap or when I get in from work). Distraction works sometimes but not others. If I try to distract and he really wants it he begs "just one minute Mama please" with the sign for pls and one repeatedly, it breaks my heart.

The last 2 days I have moved the BF away from BT in the hope that distraction will be easier if it is not part of the routine. Still have to work on the am feed as this is on wu and he wakes before K and I don't like him screaming and waking K. Yesterday he had BF downstairs before his bath and today DH was home and so he was so distracted I managed not to feed at all since the morning. He didn't ask at all. We are going on holiday next week, I am hoping he will be distracted and out of routine enough to not ask much.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 02:36:53 am »
I think the holiday might really help you keep him distracted by changing up the routine.  It's amazing how quickly then can forget at this age (even a smart little guy like B!)