EAT > Breast Feeding

Weaning thread part 3... Come share experiences and offer support

(1/50) > >>

*Ali*:
This thread is for support and advice of weaning breast feeding

Continued from WEANING thread #2... Come share experiences and offer support

Kangarruu:
Hi everyone,
My DD just turned a year on Jan 10th and I had decided to stop pumping at work about a week before. We introduced cow's milk into her afternoon sippy cups and she barely even noticed. She stretched out her milk drinking over the day, rather than at set times like she used to. But other than that she adjusted well.

However, this past week DD has stopped wanting to nurse at bedtime and mornings. At first it just showed through her biting. She would nurse a little and then bite down and pull ...ow to say the least. I would immediately take her off, say a stern "no biting" and put her down. When she would climb back into my lap, I would let her relatch, but she would just bite down again. I would do it 2-3 times, and if she continued I'd just skip the nursing and offer her a sippy cup a few minutes later. Now when I sit down to nurse with her she just turns her head or lays down with her mouth closed. I thought the biting was related to teething and maybe she doesn't want to nurse for that reason, but is this just her self-weaning?

It seems so abrupt it caught me off guard, and I'm feeling a little emotional about it. I'm pumping a little at night for relief and to maintain my supply a little longer. A part of me is saying to just take this opportunity to stop nursing since it's a natural transition, but the other part of me is missing the closeness. Any thoughts?

*Ali*:
Hugs Kanga. If you decide you want to take this opportunity to wean then I know many mamas find a temporary loss of interest is an easy time to do so. If you decide you want to continue then I think all you can do is offer and one day she may take it again. Perhaps set a time limit on how long you will offer for and if she doesn't take any in that time and you still feel ok about you could just stop offering?

Erin M:
I weaned my dd1 when she was doing a lot of biting, she was just under a year.  I think, like Ali said, it really all depends on what you're aiming for.  If you really want to nurse longer, you can persist and I think she'll come back to it eventually.  If not, you can move forward without nursing and she'll be fine.  (((hugs))), not an easy decision to make!

Kangarruu:
Thanks ladies. I did try to offer a few more times but I think she's maintaining her position lol. I guess once they're ready to stop they just know what they want. Her  milk intake has increased by a lot over the last week, and I doubt she was getting that much from BF/sippy cup combo, so I guess it's all for the best.

It was nice just rolling over this morning and having DH take DD out of the room :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version