Author Topic: Weaning thread part 3... Come share experiences and offer support  (Read 213847 times)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Weaning thread part 3... Come share experiences and offer support
« Reply #135 on: April 17, 2014, 21:00:29 pm »
If you are happy to feed her that much then I think it is fine to do it but if you can't go on like that anymore then that is probably how I would approach it. I would probably just hug and distract if she cried.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Tamlyn

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #136 on: May 01, 2014, 00:09:25 am »
Began weaning my LO about 3 weeks ago. He is now almost 13 months old. He was already used to having 1 bottle of pumped milk a day, and I BF the other 3 times. I gradually increased bottle feedings and decreased BF down to only at BT, and this week began BF only a few minutes and then giving majority of milk in a bottle at BT feeding. He seemed fine with it all initially, but has become a little fussy and clingy...is much less interested in food and is eating less and not wanting bottles at all. I can usually get him to take 4 oz upon WU, and then about 5 oz for either the late AM or early PM feeding. He refuses one or the other of these bottles. He has also refused a bottle at BT the last 2 nights. He is a little guy (5th percentile), so I'm worried he's not getting enough.  Even though there is little in the boob at this point, he cries to nurse. I feel awful and am not sure what to do? Any suggestions?

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #137 on: May 01, 2014, 19:36:36 pm »
Sounds like he is not quite ready to give up nursing  :-\ Are you decided that you want/need to wean now or is it an option to carry on for a bit? Sorry, not trying to pressure you into keeping going if you want to stop and obviously I don't know your reasons for weaning now. Just wondering if it might be an option to consider feeding a bit longer.

What are you hoping to wean to? Normally LOs over 1yo would wean on to cows milk when they stop BFing but I wonder if your GP might suggest moving to formula if you have concerns about growth issues. Most 1yos can get what they need from solids as long as they are eating a balanced diet so you don't need to necessarily worry about him consuming milk if it isn't breast milk. Other dairy like cheese, yogurt and milk on cereals etc. count as well.

Offline 4isstillnighttime

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #138 on: May 05, 2014, 19:42:58 pm »
Hi, I posted before about my rotten twins. They are 9.5 months and I need to wean in the daytime as I am going back to work. I have found a formula they will take and interestingly they have suddenly decided they will take a bottle as long as milk is ice cold. Can I just check what I am doing is sensible?

Pre wean - BF at 5 (gah!!), breakfast 6, BF 8, BF 10:30 (I know....), lunch 12, BF 2, Bf 4, supper 5, bf 7 and usually about 10 and 3

Now - breakfast 6, BF 8, raisins and milk when wake from nap (10 ish), lunch 12, bf 12:30 (for my comfort, they are full of lunch), raisins and milk at 3, supper 5, BF 7, BF 2am

I want to drop the 12:30 feed as then I can manage the rest - hoping to get to  3 BF and 2 FF a day. They don't take much formula at the moment - maybe 2oz - but it's new to them so I guess they will.

2 questions - how much formula do they need if they have 3 BF?
What do I do about being uncomfy at midday? I loathe the pump and can't pump at work anyway, but I still need enough milk for twins for the rest of the time ESP if they won't take much formula.

Thanks. Sorry, this is a bit garbled!!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #139 on: May 06, 2014, 11:52:20 am »
You could just express a little for comfort and eventually your body will just stop making milk at that lunchtime feed.

If they are having 3 BFs a day then you may find they get enough from that so I'd maybe just try a few ounces at each bottle feed. If they finish it then you can add another ounce.

« Reply #140 on: May 06, 2014, 12:55:54 pm »
Brilliant, thanks! If I needed to get my supply up again for any reason, would I be able to? Recently they had a vomiting bug and would only BF for 3 days, no formula or solids. Bit I don't know how much that was a comfort thing because they were poorly.

We are doing BLW and so their food intake is a bit variable, which is why I was keen they should still get some milk in the day, but 2 small bottles works well for us!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #141 on: May 06, 2014, 13:04:55 pm »
It does get harder to get supply back up the older your LOs get but feeding them for extra feeds should be possible yes.

Offline magdooshka001

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #142 on: May 07, 2014, 05:15:12 am »
Hiya, I wonder if you could offer some advice. My son is nearly 13 months old and I would like to start weaning. He's been exclusively breasted since birth (i.e. no pumping/no bottle). At this stage, he usually gets BF 4 times in 24H (at night or when he wakes up, before lunchtime nap and before bedtime). He usually falls asleep during the feed. Although, when he does wake up as I put him down he normally cries a bit, I just leave the room and he settles on his own within minutes. So, my questions are:
Should I stop feeding during the day altogether? Or eliminate one feed at a time e.g. feeding before nap(s) during the day and then move onto the feed at bedtime ?
Shall I use the bottle or a sippy cup? Formula or cows milk? When would you normally offer these drinks (with or after the meals) and how much  in ml? Do i need to boil/warm up the cows milk beforehand or add cereals etc.? Would you alter the bedtime routine in any way to help the weaning process?
Thank you!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #143 on: May 07, 2014, 07:27:04 am »
Hi, have a look at our weaning FAQ for an outline of the various approaches and see which you think would suit you. Weaning

Because your LO is over 12mo you don't need to use formula. He can get all he needs nutritionally from solid food now. You could give cows milk if you like to help with fat and calcium requirements but other dairy such as cheese and yogurt also counts towards this, as does milk on cereal. The equivalent of about 300ml (10oz) will be sufficient and no more than about 600ml (20oz ).

The recommendation is to have stopped using a bottle by 12mo so I definitely wouldn't start one now. I'd just offer a cup, ideally open or free-flow (no valve so he doesn't have to suck) sippy cup.

It's really up to you when you offer the milk. It is a drink now rather than a meal/food. I think many people offer milk on cereal (in a bowl with a spoon) in the morning, a small cup at some point throughout the day and another before bed. I wouldn't offer it with a meal if you think it will fill him up and stop him eating so much solid food.

I would just offer the milk cold out of the fridge. No you don't need to add cereals.

You may find it help to bring the feed out of the bedroom (if you currently feed in there) and before the bath/pyjamas/stories or whatever you do as your wind down routine.

You probably need to help your LO settle to sleep without the feed before taking all the feeds away. Feel free to post on the toddler sleep board if you need help with this.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 07:30:00 am by *Ali* »

« Reply #144 on: May 18, 2014, 13:57:46 pm »
Hi everyone. I posted before about my twins. Thy are now 10 months, I am going back to work in 2 weeks and we are in a nice routine of BF 6am, 7pm and one night feed. It is going really well, they have about 4oz of formula at 1pm and drink a tiny bit out of their sippy cups at 10am.

The thing is that I am starting to think about stopping altogether. We all used to love it so much when I demand fed but now the kids are distracted and not v interested - it's become a way to settle them at bedtime and in the night rather than anything else. And I've always tandem fed as they go crazy otherwise.....and it's just a big fight trying to stop them biting me, pulling each other's hair, etc. I was thinking if trying to drop down to one feed by 11 months and stop altogether at a year. Will have to go really slowly as I am still leaking like mad all hours of the day even though it's been 3 weeks I think since the last daytime feed. Which feed goes first - morning or bedtime? And what happens at bedtime without a BF? Do I give a bottle? A drink of water? If a bottle - how old do they have to be before I stop it altogether?

I feel completely lost with this. There is loads of info about starting to BF and none about stopping. It doesn't help that I feel guilty about stopping at all. Is 12 months a good time?

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #145 on: May 18, 2014, 20:42:45 pm »
We have a FAQ on weaning which covers the various methods. Have a look and see which you think might suit you. Weaning

The good thing about weaning at 12mo is you won't need to replace breastfeeds with formula. You can either give cows milk or a solid snack. If you wean now at 10mo though then really you should give formula instead as milk is the main nutrition until 1yo.

Congratulations on BFing twins for 10 months that is a great achievement  :)

« Reply #146 on: May 20, 2014, 04:11:05 am »
Thank you!! I got an enormous amount of support from TAMBA in doing so and I'm really pleased I persevered - I've saved a fortune quite apart from anything else!!!

« Reply #147 on: June 04, 2014, 19:59:10 pm »
Ali, I just wanted to say thank you - I am back at work, the twins are doing brilliantly with the childminder, they are feeding better than ever as I think they have missed me, and as a result are sleeping brilliantly (for them!!).  No embarrassing leakage at work either!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #148 on: June 04, 2014, 20:21:27 pm »
Great news. So glad everything is going well for you all.

« Reply #149 on: July 02, 2014, 08:55:50 am »
Oh Ali.....I have just dropped the morning feed too and am planning on stopping altogether in the next few weeks. The kids aren't really that keen any more, they are nearly one, and I am going to have to start staying away sometimes with work so I want to stop the feeds while I am still there rather than the first time they go to sleep without a feed be the same night they go to sleep without me. But I am just so, so sad about it. I know it's the right thing for them, I can restart my usual medication and I don't think they will care that much, but it's breaking my heart. What do I do??