Author Topic: Weaning thread part 3... Come share experiences and offer support  (Read 213813 times)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Weaning thread part 3... Come share experiences and offer support
« Reply #150 on: July 02, 2014, 19:45:46 pm »
Big hugs. I think it is very upsetting whenever your stop. It is very emotional and all the hormonal changes that go along with weaning don't help of course.
I think only you can decide if you are doing the right thing or not and if you are happy that you are then I'd just press ahead and be kind to yourself. Let yourself grieve the loss of that special time and stage if your relationship and enjoy the next stages yet to come.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline yujai

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #151 on: July 07, 2014, 17:49:41 pm »
Hello all, I am joining the weaning force!

My 15 months old is now down to 2 nursing (first thing wake up in the morning and before going to bed) with 3 cow milk/formula in straw cup a day.  Weaning the afternoon feeds was easy and quick.  I randomly tried skipping the morning feed and gave him his straw cup instead, but he would be fussy and sign for milk. I don't know he drinks much from nursing, but he is the type who would like to hang on to the boob.  Sometimes I have to ask him if he is enough or force him to detach.

Our current morning routine:
DH takes him from his crib to our room and I nurse him on our bed.

Bedtime routine:
Quiet time, bath, story, nursing, then DH wraps him up and put him to bed.

Should I start with the morning feed or before bed feed?

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #152 on: July 08, 2014, 12:10:31 pm »
It's really up to you which we'd you wean first. I reckon the morning one might be quite easy if your DH took him down to have breakfast instead of bringing him to you to nurse.

Maybe try bringing the BT nursing session to before the bath before you wean it totally.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #153 on: July 08, 2014, 19:30:02 pm »
Agree with Ali.  I always dropped the morning feeds first.
*** Amanda ***

Offline georgeo

• Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #154 on: July 09, 2014, 03:52:14 am »
Hi ladies,

Feel free to suggest I start a new thread . This just looked like a good place to ask.

Dd is 2 1/2. We're down to just one feed first thing in the morning and have been for a few months now. I had hoped she would drop the last one herself but it's not looking like that is going to happen anytime soon. A few months ago she didn't ask for two mornings, then my sister came to visit and she got very clingy, although she had a lovely time, and started asking for it again.

I would like to stop now.  Any suggestions? It is the first thing she asks for every morning.

Thanks ladies. I'm nervous!

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #155 on: July 09, 2014, 07:15:03 am »
At that age they understand a lot. I weaned after 2 and it really helped to talk about how he was a big boy now and instead of Bob milk he could have Any other kind of milk, warm, cold, hot choc or milk shake (both v weak) etc and I let him choose which. We talked about how the milk runs out once he is big enough and strong enough to not need it.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #156 on: July 09, 2014, 07:20:21 am »
I weaned both by sat 26mo. Distraction was very useful. DH would get them up and take them downstairs for breakfast and I would follow 10 mins later and just get on with our day. After 4 days I think Colby asked again and I just said there was no milk there anymore and that he didn't have boobies anymore he had yummy breakfast with daddy etc.

Offline 4isstillnighttime

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #157 on: July 09, 2014, 11:35:00 am »
Me again - I am so clueless! We are now down to just one feed at bedtime and a bottle of milk in the middle of the day. I was thinking of swapping the bedtime feed for a bottle too....but my HV tells me they should stop having bottles by 1 (which is in about 2 weeks). We have supper at 5 then no breakfast til 6 (and they are STARVING for it even with the BT feed) so I'd like to give them milk at bedtime. Do I give it in a cup? At the moment we go upstairs at 6 and have bath, Massage, BF, teeth brush (in bedroom), story and bed. I'm worried that 2 sippy cups of milk will be really, really messy. And all the bathing, massaging, teeth etc takes that full hour because there are 2 of them and they are wriggly.

I wondered about a non-spill cup? At the moment they have one that looks like a grownups travel mug for water if we are out and about only and otherwise the free flow ones. Or maybe one with a spout? What would be best?! And why can't they just have a bottle?!?!

Thanks again!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #158 on: July 09, 2014, 16:28:58 pm »
Many babies do have a bottle after 1yo. The idea behind getting rid if the bottle is that sucking is bad for teeth so a free flow sippy or open cup is better. A valved or straw cup that requires them to suck is no better than a bottle so I wouldn't bother with any of those. Formula or cows milk is much worse than breast milk for teeth plus feeding from the breast delivers the milk to the back of the mouth mostly bypassing teeth but if you are brushing their teeth straight after then I'd probably be tempted to just give them a bottle for now. Obviously you would then have to wean it later anyway so it depends on how you feel about that. I also wonder whether they would even take a sufficient quantity of milk from a cup? I know many babies wouldn't unless they have been having a cup of milk for a while.

Offline 4isstillnighttime

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #159 on: July 09, 2014, 18:19:50 pm »
Oh, ok, that makes sense! So maybe I will swap bf to bottle  :'( then when they are used to that swap lunchtime bottle for free flow cup (hard floors downstairs so mess doesn't matter!) then swap the last bottle for a cup. I really like the bottle, it's cuddly!

Thanks again Ali!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #160 on: July 09, 2014, 19:38:46 pm »
I think that is probably what I would do tbh :)

Offline yujai

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #161 on: July 22, 2014, 17:10:11 pm »
I think I can now declare I am done with breastfeeding! (well, for a few months until #2 is born :) )

It was surprisingly easy. Our 15 months old now takes a straw cup with either cow milk or formula instead of boobs. It was pretty much an instant switch. He only wants boobs on the first night even after he had the straw cup (next day I just have DH handles him, kiss goodnight while he was drinking from straw cup and left the room)

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #162 on: July 22, 2014, 17:54:22 pm »
Sounds great :)
And well done on BFing for 15mo. I hope your BFing relationship with the next is as enjoyable and fruitful :)

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #163 on: July 22, 2014, 21:14:07 pm »
Well done :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline GreenerRock

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #164 on: November 30, 2014, 04:27:13 am »
Hi moms,

I'm currently in the process of trying to wean my 2.5 yr old DD as nursing has started to become painful (she has big teeth!).  The issue is she does not want to give it up!  She asks to nurse multiple times throughout the day and night (she is up 1-2 times during the night).  She recently started attending daycare and this has helped cut down on the daytime nursing and we're trying to stop the night time nursing by having DH go to her when she wakes up.  But she still asks whenever she sees me during the day and throws a tantrum if I refuse.  She's not talking much yet so I'm not able to verbally make her understand why she can't nurse.  It's gotten to the point where I run and hide from her as soon as I can tell she wants to nurse.  Are there any strategies that's worked for you?  I'm at my wits end!  Thanks!