Author Topic: Weaning thread part 3... Come share experiences and offer support  (Read 214613 times)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Weaning thread part 3... Come share experiences and offer support
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 12:19:48 pm »
Can your DH get him up and take him downstairs instead of you?
Or even if you get him up going downstairs to feed might help cut it short and somedays you may be able to distract with breakfast.
Does he fall back to sleep when you feed in your bed (assuming you do on WU)? Same with BT feed, if you can do it downstairs before heading up to bed he should be less sleepy and lingering. That is what we did with Cadan.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline mycatmonet

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 02:20:30 am »
hi all, my DD is 18mths and is on 1 bf on wu. It's time to wean to try and get back af and ttc.. Started to try today to see what would happen out of interest as DD woke at 6am rather than 5am and dh was already up and about too. It was so sad, I took her into the living room and DD got quite genuinely upset, took my hand and led me back to bed to bf!! This one is going to be a challenge. She dropped all the other feeds just fine, the post bath pm one was the last to go about a month ago, that went ok. Sigh.

Offline MiasMama

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 17:46:26 pm »
Hi,

I think I'll be joining in on this thread. I'm nervous to wean DD2 as I weaned DD1 at 4 months on to formula because of allergy issues. DD2 is just over 10 months and nurses every 4 hours around the clock. And doesn't take a bottle. As a social mom, I am having a hard time not being able to leave in the evening for a Mom break. I want her to get the nutrition she needs and made a goal to make it to 12 months. Based on what I've been reading on here, I am "safe" to start dropping a feed. Her 11am feed seems like the best choice. I think I may try to pump for a little while to see if she'll take something (bottle) now, but I won't hold my breath.

Phew. Here it goes!

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 18:31:24 pm »
Good luck :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 13:20:39 pm »
I wouldn't bother with aa bottle at that age MM, I w
Would go straight to a sippy cup. From a social pov it wouldn't be the end of the world if you went out and Lo missed the last feed. Maybe you should drop that bt feed rather than the 11am one if that is what is your main issue.
For us the holiday did not help. He asked even more I think because it was hot and he was tired. But since we got back I have bitten the bullet. It has been ok. I fed on Wu yesterday but nothing since. I have told him he is a big boy now so there is no more milk in therere. He is askiing sporadically but not too upset. Dh got hiim up this morning which helped.
Any tips for me to get rid of the milk and be comfortable.
I am working tomorrow and dh will put them to bed then 3 days home alone so fx will be easier by then.

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 18:22:58 pm »
Cold compresses and expressing off just enough to feel comfortable, but not enough for you body to think it needs to carry on producing that milk. HTH :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 20:23:57 pm »
Had a melt down after nap pleading one minute mama signs and all, I felt awful but DH distracted him to take the bins out lol. He didn't even ask at bt at least. I am surprisingly comfortable. Typically I am at work tomorrow when it will likely get sore as that is the longest we have been.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2013, 02:49:33 am »
Good luck!

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2013, 05:25:56 am »
I am.starting to think about weaning too, but feel so sad about it  :'( :'(. I really have had enough, and feel that to feed til two has been more than I hoped for, but the thought of her dropping just makes me ache  :'(.  That does get better, right? Just need someone to remind me!!

KM, how are you finding it emotionally?
E is boob mad too, and I think that's partly why I find the thought of weaning her so hard-I know she will find it hard  :(.
 She still takes 3-4 feeds per day - do I just start dropping them gradually?
Claire x

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2013, 10:16:42 am »
Hugs ladies.
Claire with DS1 we dropped the daytime ones first as they were easiest to tweak the routine and offer snacks or distractions. The morning one we had DH get him up and take him downstairs for breakfast for a few mornings and then I was able to do the same without much upset. With the BT feed I moved it before the BT routine and then he lost interest in it and then would just have a sip or skip all together. Then I was able to distract him and after a while without it I just told him he was a big boy who didn't have milk anymore. That was over a number of months we moved from 4 to no BFs so it was nice and gradual.
I hope you don't feel you have to wean because of your DD's age. You can wait until after 2 if you feel happy to continue.

Caitlin, what about getting your DH to get her up a few mornings so she is less likely to ask for the BF?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2013, 17:50:49 pm »
We did roughly the same as Ali, but mainly down to DD's lack of interest in those feeds anyway. 
*** Amanda ***

Offline mycatmonet

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2013, 08:02:01 am »
thanks ali, i do think that's a good idea. We have a greyhound who gets walked first thing and dh usually does that.. we may swap for a bit.  DD is waking at 5am though (since january!), and isn't waking happy generally, so the bf kept her happy and let me lie in bed for a bit longer lol.

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2013, 19:16:51 pm »
I am finding B is sleeping later now the bf is gone Caitlin, maybe you lo would too. It has been 4.5days with no bf here now.

I am finding it emotional because I know b loves his boob. He was having 4 bf while I have been off the last 2 weeks. I have been trying for months to drop some but he wasn't happy. He only has more than 2 when i am off work. DH works shifts so can't consistently do anything (wu/bt) which makes it difficult to just change routine. Few tears today after short nap and when I got up after a rare lie in this morning but eventually distract able.

I am not uncomfortable at all, bit lopsided which I hope will settle but haven't need to express at all. One bonus.

I am getting loads of lovely hugs which is nice, guess he is craving the closeness. He is not drinking much milk or eating much calcium but will worry about that later. He feels I am palming him off with milk I think because I was offering it when he was asking for bf. will have to cook more with dairy.

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2013, 19:59:10 pm »
*hugs*  It's totally normal to feel a bit blue when weaning.  It's the same sort of hormonal slump you get a couple of days after delivery :-*
*** Amanda ***

Offline mycatmonet

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2013, 23:14:01 pm »
KM i hope hope hope DD sleeps later once we drop the feed! Hope you are feeling ok today xx