Author Topic: When should I stop feeding at night?  (Read 1380 times)

Offline georgeo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
When should I stop feeding at night?
« on: January 14, 2013, 05:15:35 am »
Dd is one in a few days. She still has one feed at night, sometimes two.  Should I be trying to get rid of it? I'm pretty sure that when she has two its OT routine related. I don't mind still doing one but is it best for her to work at getting rid of it?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: When should I stop feeding at night?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 08:24:52 am »
No, the WHO recommend feeding on demand day and night until 2yo so I wouldn't say it is best for her to wean.

However, personally I felt it was better for us as a family to sleep through the night so we were better rested and so I weaned NFs with my DSs at 12 and 15mo. It is up to you if you feel the same. If you are happy then there is no reason you "should" wean the NFs.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 08:54:44 am »
I think it depends on how you feel her nights are going. Audrey is nearly 15 months and still BFs once at night, usually around 4-5am but last night it was 11pm and then she slept through til morning. I keep reminding myself that she is just a baby still, and she is still getting benefits from the BF. Also, if I did drop that night feed, I would effectively be dropping a BF on monday-friday as we just wouldn't have time to BF in the morning before getting ready for the school run etc so she would just get up and have breakfast with no BF. So I'm keeping it for now, at least for another couple of months and then I'll reassess. If she starts waking more frequently to nurse then I may change my mind about it.

Offline georgeo

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 14:42:06 pm »
Thank you ladies. :)

Ds was bf and slept through pretty much as soon as we started bw at 5 months. Dd however seems to want to keep at least one at night. Last night she slept 6 hrs, ate then woke 4 hours later, ate and didn't go back to sleep as was chatting in the crib. I'm thinking that's more routine related than a prop issue.....I hope.

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 14:47:09 pm »
For us, making sure it's not a prop thing means ensuring that she always goes into her cot wide awake, especially at bedtime. I do BF then teeth then story, to make sure she does the 'work' of getting drowsy, finding her loveys etc, herself.

Offline georgeo

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 00:01:59 am »
Thanks:). She is going down awake now. Until Friday we were holding to sleep or very drowsy. I won't worry about it for now then.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 01:32:21 am »
didn't go back to sleep as was chatting in the crib.
That sounds routine related to me.