Author Topic: Premie with 3.5 hour schedule  (Read 712 times)

Offline JBUELTER

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 13, 2013, 20:47:19 pm »
Hi - my DS is 3 months old. His gestation age is 2 months. He is on a 3.5 hour routine because he wasn't eating that much with a 3 hour. The problem is the A time. Whenever he wakes up he starts yawning about a half hour after he wakes. Do you think a 3.5 schedule is too much? Should I be going by his gestational age?

Another question is he has major reflux. We have to give his medicine a half hour before he eats. This usually cuts into his sleeping and wakes up. Should i try getting him back to sleep for that half hour?  Usually he ends up being grouchy when he wakes because his sleep is disturbed but most times he won't go back to sleep. Any suggestions? ?

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
Re: Premie with 3.5 hour schedule
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 16:59:15 pm »
Do you think a 3.5 schedule is too much? Should I be going by his gestational age?
Absolutely.
Is he BF or FF? Are you sure he wasn't taking enough every 3h because he was not hungry or because of the Reflux? For Reflux babies sometimes the feeds can be painful and they avoid them because of that.
How long is his A time right now? You should go by his adjusted age which will mean his A time should be around 1-1.5h.
I wouldn't wake him from his sleep for the meds. I would give it as soon as he wakes up and then feed 30min later.
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline JBUELTER

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 00:52:33 am »
He is formula fed. Those are some good suggestions. I like the medicine idea. Also we are doing the PU/PD due to accidental parenting. How long can this take usually for this to work out.

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
Re: Premie with 3.5 hour schedule
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 10:51:00 am »
You shouldn't use PU/PD with a Reflux baby, it aggravates the acid. And PU/PD is for babies older than 4m and a last resort even then, only after pat/shh has been tried for long enough and didn't work.
You need to sort out her Reflux before sleep training, there is no way to sleep train a baby in discomfort.
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/