Author Topic: Please help with my 3mo olds EASY  (Read 755 times)

Offline cbeaup

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 13, 2013, 04:28:29 am »
Hi there, Would really appreciate some help with my 3mo old's EASY.  We are blessed with a sweet little angel girl but still feel like something's off. Her naps have been really short lately. Also not sure if we should feed her right away when she wakes or try to hold her off till the 3hr mark.  Doesn't seem like she's waking up hungry.   And if so does that time from when she wakes early from her nap count as "Awake time" .   Seems like by late evening she's fussy and unsettled until she goes down for the night.  Also wondering what a reasonable "bedtime" should be at her age given the amount she sleeps through the night. I guess we are striving for more consistency all around.  The last two days have been way off, I suspect maybe a growth spurt. Should also mention her sleep cues are very difficult to read.  We've been struggling with the right amount of Activity time. She also doesn't take a pacifier.  I've tried holding it for a bit, different types and she wants no part of them.   So that being said here's what a typical day this past week looked like.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

w: 7ish (content to be in her crib till we get her)
e: 7:30 6oz
a: 8:00
s: 9:00-10 (woke up but was able to extend her nap till 10:50)
e: 11:00 5oz
a: 11:30
s: 12- 1:30
a(played until next feeding)
e: 2:00 6oz
a:2:30
s: 3-4:15
e: 5:00  6oz
a: 5:30
s: 6:20- 7:00 (woke up very unsettled)
e: 7:05  6oz
a: 7:50-
s : (won't sleep really fussy)
e: 8:50 (only takes 2 oz)
s: 9:30 (sleeps through till morning)

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
Re: Please help with my 3mo olds EASY
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 09:16:19 am »
Also not sure if we should feed her right away when she wakes or try to hold her off till the 3hr mark.
I assume from the ozs that you are FF, right? If she wakes up early from a nap and doesn't seem hungry then you can hold her off till 3h. But at the same time at this age it doesn't need to be so rigid, yk? If she wants to eat and it's not 3h yet, then I would feed her IIWY.

does that time from when she wakes early from her nap count as "Awake time" .
You count A time from the moment eyes open till eyes closed.

Seems like by late evening she's fussy and unsettled until she goes down for the night.
This happens because she doesn't get restorative sleep during the day.

Also wondering what a reasonable "bedtime" should be at her age given the amount she sleeps through the night.
A reasonable BT for every child is between 19 and 20.

Should also mention her sleep cues are very difficult to read.  We've been struggling with the right amount of Activity time
I always found sleepy cues extremely hard to read. I don't know if DS was confusing or I just couldn't :P. From early on I became a clock watcher. Saying that, there were times that I ignored the clock when I felt he is getting too tired.

Looking at your EASY I think there are two things going on. The first thing is that you are having 4 naps a day, but she should be on 3 naps by now (and an earlier BT instead of another nap) and the other thing is that the A is not consistent.
If you want to get her A right, not just now, but also in the future, you need to be consistent with it - so it's going to be difficult to figure out her right A if sometimes she is doing 1:45h A and sometimes 1:10h. What I suggest is that you pick an A time that is appropriate for her age, I'd say 1.5h for start and give the same amount of A throughout the day. Do this for 3 days, if after 3 days you are getting short naps then you tweak the A again. Usually 30-35min naps are OT and 45min-1:20h naps are UT. If she gives you OT naps then you reduce the A and if she gives you UT naps then you up the A to 1:40-1:45h and stick to that for 3-4 days to give her enough time to get used to it and to prevent her from getting OT.
How does that sound?

My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline cbeaup

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 01:22:45 am »
Thanks for the response.  Yes she is on formula.  What you suggest makes sense just not sure how to implement it.  Lately with her nap durations being all over the place, it effects her A time.  For example if she wakes up from her morning nap early, say after an hour, seems ready for the next nap earlier, throwing off her A time.  She napped great today but was only awake for 1 hr.  She also naps a lot better in her carseat.  Not exactly sure how to drop that 4th nap.    I'll have to look at some samples for guidance.  And you're right, consistency is so important.  We just seem to get thrown off so easily... and shes an easy baby.

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
Re: Please help with my 3mo olds EASY
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 10:54:24 am »
When her A will be more age appropriate and the naps longer you just won't be able to fit the 4th nap :)
When she wakes up early from a nap you offer the same A as before -10,15min. This works for many babies (my DS always needed a full A after a short nap). A short nap doesn't throw the EASY away, you simply shorten the A a bit, feed in the middle of the A and hope for a good nap.
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/