Author Topic: 6 month old STILL waking at night :( please help  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Charlie5073

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6 month old STILL waking at night :( please help
« on: January 15, 2013, 07:44:25 am »
Hi there

Our little girl has just turned 6 months and is waking again at night after learning to roll over, she rolls from back to front but then can't get back onto her back and cries. It seems like it has been one thing after another with her waking at night, we recognise a problem, spend a few weeks working on it then we get maybe a week of her sleeping through then another problem emerges, like this one! I'm tearing my hair out, I really thought by 6 months I would be getting some sleep!! We have had about 3 separate occasions of about a week where she has slept through. We haven't had to feed her at night for a few months now.

Solids-she has been on solids since 4 months, as she was waking at night again hungry after sleeping through! Initiallya few spoonfuls of baby rice after her 3 pm bottle, she loved it. Around Christmas we progressed to a breakfast as well and she has been having a lunch as well for the last few days. She has taken to it really well. We started early on parents advice but in hindsight we should have just switched to 'hungry' milk alone (we did this as well and it probably would have been enough, I feel like we rushed her ).

Her routine goes like this:

7.00 wake up and feed 150 ml bottle
7.15 independent play in baby stand up activity bouncer
8.00 breakfast (cereals)
8.10 activity - sing songs, play with toys
9.15 start wind down routine for nap- nappy change, book, musical book and into cot with music on
9.30 asleep until 11.00
11.00 bottle 150 ml
11.15 activity as above
12.00 lunch (fruit purée)
12.10 activity as above or we go for a long walk if ok weather
1.15 wind down routine as above
1.30 asleep until 3 (sometimes if she seems tired I will put her down at 1 until 3)
3.00 bottle 180 ml
3.15 activity as above
4.00 dinner (1/2 jar baby food or home made)
4.10 independen play with toys/stand up bouncer
5.00 wind down routine as above
5.15 until 6 evening cat nap
6.00 activity
6.45 evening bottle 180 ml
7.00 bath and bedtime routine (as wind down routine)
7.30 bed
10.00-10.30 dream feed

I have been wondering if it is time to cut out the evening cat nap? She does still seen tired but her afternoon nap is becoming longer (2 hrs instead of 1 30).

She has a cuddly sheep which she chews/cuddles to sleep on naps and at bed time. When it was in the wash she struggled to sleep but it could be reaching for this is what is making her roll? Should i take it away and attempt to get her to self soothe? She gets herself to sleep perfectly well with this sheep as long as she is not teething too badly.

And we have been giving her lots of tummy time the last few days so she gets used to it on her front/learns to roll back, it doesn't seem to be helping.
Any advice would be much appreciated!!!!

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: 6 month old STILL waking at night :( please help
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 20:17:34 pm »
She has a cuddly sheep which she chews/cuddles to sleep on naps and at bed time. When it was in the wash she struggled to sleep but it could be reaching for this is what is making her roll? Should i take it way and attempt to get her to self soothe? She gets herself to sleep perfectly well with this sheep as long as she is not teething too badly.
You have a comfort item she's attached to at 6 months - you're doing well and I'd keep it ;)
Is rolling a new thing when she's awake too? If so, she's likely rolling in her sleep because she's wired to practise practise practise every new skill - physical milestones often do mess with sleep.

Here's some info re: dropping the catnap - All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 23:15:40 pm »
Agree with everything Bec has said but just wanted to add that she is doing GREAT. To have no night feeds at 6 months is tremendous, and the fact that she has slept through for a week at a time - my little one is 15 months old and has slept through a handful of times in her life! You're doing  agreat job. Milestones are a real PITA but they do pass.

Offline Charlie5073

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 07:37:52 am »
Thank you both! It's nice to hear that I'm doing ok. Thanks for the advice about dropping the 3rd nap, I'm pretty sure she's ready.

Just have to hope she grows out of the sleep rolling then!!