Author Topic: Baby waking up to 10/15 times a night  (Read 1120 times)

Offline dee36

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 17, 2013, 08:59:41 am »
Hi,
My Lo is 1 in 2 days & this is her routine.
Wakes - 5.45am
Bottle in bed - 5oz, might snooze till 7am
breakfast - 8.30am weetabix + water

Naptime 10am - 11.30
Lunchtime 12.30/1pm solid + water

Naptime 2.30pm-4pm/4.15pm
Dinner 5.30pm solids + water

Bath 6.30pm
bottle 7pm 8oz
bedtime 7.30/7.45pm.

She can start waking From 10pm then around 12am, then 1pm, and on and off till 5.45am then bottle, maybe snooze then up again. Usually just shouts when wakes up but if i don't go in she starts crying, i lay her down, give her "dummy" she goes back to sleep for a while.

Bit of background, she has never really slept through since birth and i am determined to get this sorted so we start he 1's on a good routine. A tooth came up last week so that night was awful but now she has 8 teeth so that should be it for a bit??  I got into a routine of only giving her 1 nap of 2.5/3 hrs from 10 to 11.5 months as it suited with other toddler but went back to 2 naps 2 weeks ago of total 3.5 hrs and 1st 3 nights slept through and no luck since then.
She started taking steps on Xmas day.

I really am at a total loss as think I'm doing things right but with lack of sleep and another toddler i seem to be going nowhere fast (for a year).

Please advise me if you can, thanks

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: Baby waking up to 10/15 times a night
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 09:22:22 am »
So she just wants you to give her her dummy when she wakes? Do you think that's the main issue?

Offline dee36

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 09:30:06 am »
Thank you anna for replying.

No i really don't as she spits it out few mins after. I have been able to put her down without it plenty of times with the same outcome. She does not have the dummy throughout the day.

I'm at a loss!

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 09:39:08 am »
Well I'd start by capping her morning nap a bit and bringing her pm nap a bit earlier so she has a bit longer between her last nap and bedtime. Then I'd make sure not to rush in in the night. I know you say she starts crying if you don't go to her, but you need to still wait until she's crying - and make sure it's a proper cry. She needs to have the chance to settle herself. Also if you have a key sleep phrase I would try saying that from outside her door - over and over - it may take a while but you want her to find her own dummy, lay herself down, get herself back to sleep.

Offline dee36

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 10:02:00 am »
So, if i cap am nap to 1 hr (10am-11am) then bring pm nap to 2pm -3.30pm then should i put her down at 7pm instead of 7.30pm.  I will wait until she really cries, of course i know she will wake my toddler  so will have 2 to deal with but he can always catch up during the day for a bit as he naps well. What do you think?

I'm annoyed at myself for letting it get this bad as with son i followed BW throughout his 1st year and he is a great sleeper, eater, etc and really wanted my lg to be the same but we'll see.

Thanks
Dee

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 10:04:57 am »
Do they share a room? Can you run some white noise in your sons room? How old is he? My two share a room and I'm always amazed at how much noise my son will sleep through...

Offline dee36

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 10:24:27 am »
No they dont but he's a light sleeper but i'm not that worried about him if i can fix her night wakings he will benefit from it all too. Have put her down now at 9.50am but she woke crying, settled her so she is asleep again. What is the correct daytime/nightime sleep for 1 year olds?

I do understand that you are not here to specifically solve my problems but i really appreciate your help.

Dee

Offline dee36

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 10:26:27 am »
Sorry he is 2.5 and still has a 2.5/3hr nap every day and betime at 7.30pm so really lucky but also worked hard to get there thats why i need to get my daughter sorted from this NW.

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 10:35:05 am »
Sleep for one year old is tricky because they're starting to transition from 2-1 naps. Usually one short nap (say 45 mins) and one long one (1.5hrs).

Offline dee36

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 10:42:46 am »
Ok thank you very much for your help. Will try this for a week and let you know how i get on.

Dee

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 10:48:50 am »
Good luck!

Offline dee36

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Baby waking up to 10/15 times a night....SUCCESS AT LAST
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 14:54:33 pm »
Hi Anna,

Well since been in contact things went from bad to worse for 3 days, we realised that 3 teeth came up in 13 days. So when things calmed down i changed her routine to this.

She woke 5am- gave her 5oz bottle and back to sleep till 7am
Up at 7am-Breakfast

Nap 9am-10.30am In bed awake
Lunch at 12.30pm then 5oz after

Nap 2pm-3.15pm (3.30pm latest) In bed awake
Dinner at 4.30pm/5pm
Snack 6pm

Bath- 6.15pm
Bottle & Storytime 7pm
Bed awake 7.30pm straight to sleep after a bit of mumbling.

So now sleeping from 7.30pm till 5am, drinks bottle in 5 mins then straight back to sleep till 7am. I wake her at 7am as otherwise naps run too late in day. She does stir & sometimes wakes in the night but she just goes back to sleep. I think (just my opinion) but the main thing for me right now is not to let her sleep past 3.15pm/3,30pm.

I hope i don't jinx it by writing about it but keeping everyday the exact same each day till it's really established.

Thanks

Dee

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 14:57:19 pm »
That's great! Remember you're entering the 2-1 territory, so when things go wonky again you'll need to cap one of those naps in order to fit them both in to 12.5hrs.