Author Topic: nappy change nightmares  (Read 1762 times)

Offline British Coaster

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 15, 2013, 20:22:31 pm »
So Joe is almost 9 months now, crawling, climbing, into everything!

The thing is he is a total escape artist when having his bum changed - I guess he hates being restricted, he just wants to GO!

I've tried distraction with toys, giving him a nappy to play with so he feels like he's helping, but it's tough going!

Any tips on encouraging him to be a little more co-operative without going down the pin him down and get the process over with as soon as possible road?

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: nappy change nightmares
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 21:28:28 pm »
I think this is a phase a lot of LOs go through.

You can go for the 'get it done quick' option and maybe a toy that only comes out for nappy change?

We had a change mat with a harness built in which I guess is a kinder version of the 'pin him down' option? I don't think we used the harness much but it was there if we needed it..
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 23:11:29 pm »
What worked for us (both times) was giving FULL ON 100% full beam smiley mummy eye contact (yes it is difficult to change a poopy nappy but you can do it). Babies are mesmerised by mummy and they don't often get that 100% devotion smiley singing total eye contact. If that doesn't work, a sheet of stickers was great. Stick one on the back of baby's hand and he'll spend a few minutes trying to pick it off. Or stick one on the end of my nose, even better.

Offline British Coaster

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 09:11:50 am »
Thanks ladies, will have a go with the stickers - that sounds like it may hold his attention :)

Am hoping that it's a phase, would be lovely to have my co-operative boy back!

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 12:36:44 pm »
We've had this for the last six months and it shows no sign of stopping!  I can change a nappy with DD standing up now  :P ::)

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 13:24:16 pm »
We had this phase too!  Didn't stop until we PTd though I'm afraid... ::)

I agree - distraction is key.  Keep trying new objects/small books etc to find things that captivate him for long enough.  Singing also helped (sometimes) with L.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline British Coaster

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 13:50:02 pm »
OK - so it may be a long phase - I'll get prepaired with plenty of interesting stuff for change times (cuddly toy balanced on head working at the moment!)

Am thinking about starting PT anytime now wish us luck :)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 15:41:06 pm »
When my DS hit this wriggly stage at nappy change I asked him in a nice tone to 'be cooperative please' and he did!  Honestly I did a very gentle pin down (him laying on floor, me sitting on floor with my legs in a V either side of him, very gently held his legs under my legs whilst verbally encouraging cooperation) about 5 or 6 times total, never pin down to the point of tears or anything like that.  He is a very inquisitive and independent thinking boy, so it does work for some.

And have fun with the PTing :)

Offline British Coaster

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 08:55:14 am »
Thanks creations, would love to be able to help Joe find his co-operative side again - I guess this is an opportunity to lay down the first of many boundaries!  Would be lovely to know that I can help Joe understand what's needed from him to be more of a partner so we're doing this together rather than him feeling like I'm doing something to him! I'll keep experimenting with distraction and gentle firmness :)