Author Topic: Weaning the NF  (Read 860 times)

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Weaning the NF
« on: January 17, 2013, 21:42:20 pm »
My DS will be 9 months next week, and I really want to work on weaning his NF.  He is on a pretty great EASY, naps well, and we have been working on independent sleep this week and it has been going well.  He usually wakes for a feed once a night, somewhere between 2 - 4:30am.  I have been gradually reducing his night time bottles, and we are now down to 3oz.  Even though the bottle is so small, he still wakes for it each night.  After he eats he will go back to sleep until any time between 6am - 7:30am, dependant on what time his NW was. 

So I guess I am just wondering where we go from here?  Do I just try to settle him without a feed?  Try water instead?

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Weaning the NF
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 22:53:18 pm »
You can try either really...  I would attempt to resettle without the feed though.

Just be warned, if he still wakes and cannot be resettled without waking up a short time later, he is in fact hungry.  The random wakeups do make me think he might just be hungry.

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 02:50:19 am »
Good point, I am going to continue through the weekend because we will be out of town and that is not a good time to try anything new, so maybe on Monday I will just try to resettle and see what happens.  If he wakes again I will feed.

I just don't know how to increase his daytime feeds, he is such a slacker during the day.  His solid intake isn't enough to affect his formula intake I don't think.  It is just a little discouraging, it feels like he is never going to STTN with the amount he takes during the day, and nothing has helped - 4 bottles, 3 bottles, reducing solids...never made a difference.  Sigh, I guess we will get there eventually.

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 05:10:43 am »
Hugs hun.  STTN is largely a developmental thing...