Author Topic: Transitioning from co-sleeping to crib  (Read 1385 times)

Offline mjhundleby

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 18, 2013, 02:41:04 am »
My little one is 6 months old and I am wondering the best way to transition him to his crib in the nursery. We have been co-sleeping and breastfeeding for the past 5 months. We came to start sleep training because he got so used to me putting him to sleep that he won't let his Dad do it anymore and I was having to rock him for every nap and bedtime. We have been doing EASY for the past 9 days and I have been putting him in his crib for his naps. I thought it might be less of a shock to start just with naps. I would really like to get him in his crib for at night though as he usually feeds a few times at night (although since reading the Baby Whisperer book I've been trying to pat him back to sleep as he can't really be hungry) and wakes up anywhere from 2 - 10 times.  It is a rare occasion that it is only 2 though. While starting EASY we have been staying home so that I can get him on a routine.

For naps I'll take him to his room, put on his white noise, change him and read a couple of stories and put him in his crib. I'll do pupd if I need to but sometimes all he needs is little pats on the back. His naps usually last anywhere 30 min - 1 hour 30 min but most of the time 30-45 min.

For his bedtime routine we usually bath him, put on creams and diaper, read stories and try to have him in bed by 8pm.

Teething does seem to come and go for him. On days when its bad we don't push too much.

For his activity time he goes in his exersaucer or on his mat with toys or I'm down on the floor with him. I'll watch him for sign of tiredness. Some days he can only go 1 hour and a half but some he can go to 2 hours or 2 and a half max.

We have a lovey in his crib - its a stuffed giraffe that plays white noise that we used everytime for sleep. We now have a white noise machine so just use the giraffe as his lovey now.

Thank you in advance

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Transitioning from co-sleeping to crib
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 17:53:12 pm »
Hi there!
It sounds like you're already making great progress!  At 6 months, it is quite reasonable to have a night feed (some babies even have 2!) but the general rule of thumb is that he should be able to go as long at night as he can during the day between feedings.  How often is he feeding during the day?  Does he have any solids?

I would also try to keep your A time consistent during the day -- it might be tough at first but at 6 months he should be able to do about 2.5 hours so I'd try starting there. 

Offline mjhundleby

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 17:59:31 pm »
We're still co-sleeping at night but I'm thinking we should just put him in his crib at night. It'll be a tiring time getting him to sleep in his crib, but I'm already tired. He wakes up so frequently at night in our bed, he may actually get better sleep in his crib.

He can go a couple hours between feeds, sometimes longer. I was trying the 4 hour easy but he used to be a snacker so I think that's too long for him. I did notice when more time has gone by he does eat longer. We've done a bit of solids but he keeps getting constipated so I keep starting and stopping and then starting again.

Its hard to give him 2.5 hours of A time as for the past 3 months he has only been napping for 30 minutes. Sometimes he will go to 45 minutes and on rare occassions he has done 1.5 hours.

Thank you for the feedback

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 04:23:21 am »
30 minute naps are often overtired naps -- how does he wake up from his naps?  He may actually need less A time in that case. 

Depending on how your sleep is going you can always keep him in his crib for a certain length of the night and work on lengthening that as he sleeps for longer periods of time in there.

Do you think he could manage 3.5 hours between feeds -- without solids to tide him over it could be hard for him to make 4 hours.  What solids were you trying?

Do you think you could stick to te 2.5 hours A time for his first A time for a few days and let us know how it goes?