Author Topic: Removing Bottle Feeding  (Read 2301 times)

Offline kasiaf

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 20, 2013, 02:34:09 am »
Hi Ladies,

My 17 month old is still getting a bottle for bedtime, which works fine for us. However, I've been thinking I should start brushing her teeth at this point, and as I have been taking to some friends I found out I shouldn't be doing any bottle feedings for bedtime at this point...especially if I start brushing her teeth.

If I were to stop bottle feeding should I be giving her something to eat shortly before bedtime, I'm worried that she'll be hungry (she eats dinner around 5:30pm, till about 6pm).  Her bed time is 7pm. I know there isn't that much time in-between, but I'm worried she'll wake up in the middle of the night hungry. 

I've read that I should take away the bottle all together at this point. I also give her a bottle first thing in the morning before we head over to her daycare, it's meant to hold her off till her bf, as traffic can be unpredictable.  Should I give her a sippy-cup and have her sip on the milk as we make our way to daycare?

Also, I know she gets milk from a bottle sporadically throughout the day, as a drink, at daycare. My LO was very opposed to try drinking from a sippy-cup for the longest time, we just got her to use it since last week.  The daycare provider is quite on board with using the sippy-cup but we have not discussed eliminating the bottle. 

Any thoughts or advice?
Kasia.

Offline MommyMoulton

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
  • Kiss Anyone?
Re: Removing Bottle Feeding
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 02:39:44 am »
Daycare should be on board with sippy cup. Its easier than a bottle as food is primary nutrition now. Even if for the first but her milk intake decreases its no big deal. We always did supper 530-600, then gave a sippy full of milk to walk around with and have until bedtime. slowly overtime DS has gotten down to no food after mealtime. Sometimes just a few drinks of the bath water that's it.

WRT brushing teeth I would recommend allowing LO to have a turn then you have a turn with toothpaste(baby stuff). Or if you want to save money just dip toothbrush in mouthwash prior to Mommys turn.
Melissa

Offline kasiaf

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 14:54:18 pm »
Hi Melissa,

Thank you for your advice. After some thought I think my LO will be fine with the BT sippy cup, like you said I'll give her some milk in it so she can just walk around and sip on it. I'm just thinking she may not be happy to go straight into the crib, as she's been getting her bottle in her room and then I'd put her in the crib.  I don't know if I should cuddle her for a few minutes before I put her in??? I'm not sure if I want to do that (well I do, but I know it may work against me), I don't want her to get too attached to being cuddled. 

Also, any recommendations in terms of our morning routine?  Should I also just give her some milk in a sippy, and maybe even take it with us in the car?  I'm just thinking she may start playing with it in the car and spill it all over (she knows that by pressing the sippy nipple the liquid does come out).

Thank you in advance for your comments.
Kasia.

Offline MommyMoulton

• Kiss Anyone?
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 21:13:57 pm »
Replace the bedtime bottle with a story. That way she gets some literacy and some cuddles.

WRT Morning Routine. We did a morning sippy cup with milk to hold off until breakfast. Try it to see if she will make a mess, if she does, maybe try a spill proof container of cheerios to keep her mind off missing the milk in a bottle.
Melissa

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 04:16:36 am »
I don't know if I should cuddle her for a few minutes before I put her in??? I'm not sure if I want to do that (well I do, but I know it may work against me), I don't want her to get too attached to being cuddled. 

I really hope this isn't what you meant... there is nothing wrong with your child getting attached to cuddles, at bedtime or otherwise.  A story is a fantastic substitute - as is a quick chat about her day.  Many little ones just like a bit of chat about what they did that day (even if it's just you reciting it and them agreeing).

As for the sippy with milk, I am cautious about having it to walk around with as milk sitting on their teeth can lead to decay.  Best approach is to offer milk with her dinner.  Given the very short time between bedtime and the end of her dinner, I wouldn't be worried at all about a bedtime snack being needed to get through the night.  If you are really concerned, offer a couple of crackers or a bit of cheese before her bath.  Recs here are to brush teeth with a small amount of child toothpaste that contains fluoride, though there are many that are fluoride free if you are avoiding it.  Once morning and once before bed.

Hope this helps.

Offline kasiaf

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 16:43:35 pm »
Thank you both so much for your advice. 

I will introduce the story reading just before bedtime for sure. I have done it in the past but before going up to her bedroom and before the bottle.  Now, I will go up to her room, I guess have a night light on and read it to her before I put her in the crib.  I sure don’t mind cuddling with her (it’s quite the opposite feeling now that she actually sits in our lap for a while), but I was worried as we made the mistake of cuddling her to sleep till she was a year and I didn’t want to go there again. 

Would you say it is safe to give a sippy in the car? My husband is not keen on the idea, especially if no one is watching her in the back (we have fed her the bottle on a long trip, but I would be in the back with her).

Kasia.

Offline MommyMoulton

• Kiss Anyone?
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 20:01:03 pm »
I think its totally safe for a sippy cup in the car. We do a lot of long trips and we wouldn't survive without it or snacks.
Melissa

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 21:48:09 pm »
I sure don’t mind cuddling with her (it’s quite the opposite feeling now that she actually sits in our lap for a while), but I was worried as we made the mistake of cuddling her to sleep till she was a year and I didn’t want to go there again. 

Gotcha ;)  Not to worry, just feel free to cuddle her all you like and be sure to put her in the crib before she goes to sleep :)

I'm with Melissa - sippy is totally fine in the car.  We have done a few big road trips (like 10 hrs) and have always allowed snacks like crackers/Cheerios etc in the car seat as well as her sippy of water. 

Offline kasiaf

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 00:46:58 am »
Thank you, I really appreciate the feedback.

I decided to remove the bottle gradually, starting with the morning.  So I will give her milk in a sippy tomorrow AM and see how that goes. Also, I added story time before her bottle tonight (get her used to story reading before I take away her bottle). She did really well, sat calmly and let me read. She had her bottle and didn't seem to mind the light being on...I was worried the light would make her think it's not bed-time yet as she usually had the bottle in the dark, with just a night light on.

I figure taking it slow is the best approach with her, I don't want to rush. Once things are going well with the mornings, with the sippy and brushing, I'll remove the mid-day bottle, and eventually remove the evening one and add night brushing too.

I hope she will adapt to the new routines fairly easily and quickly  ;)

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 04:36:19 am »
Sounds like things are going really well!  I agree, slow and steady is the best with toddlers :)