Author Topic: dream feeds and night waking  (Read 969 times)

Offline ggmummy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 20, 2013, 04:31:21 am »
Hi there,

Question about dream feed and night waking:

My baby is 10 weeks. We have done dream feed consistently for past 2 weeks (between 10.30 and 11pm) and he takes between 3 and 6 ounces, depending on how much he took at bedtime. This has helped to stabilise the night feeds as prior to this baby was waking 2-3 times at random times of the night and now baby just wakes at 4am every night. I am not complaining about this night feed as baby does seem hungry (can take up to 6 ounces). However, I was under the impression that the dream feed was to help cut out this night feed and help baby go for longer?

Can anyone give me some insight into this? How long does it take for the 4am feed to be dropped?

I should say that baby is currently feeding every 2-3 hours during the day. He takes between 4 and 6 ounces per feed. I've tried extending the gap between feeds so that he can take more at each feed (and generally take more during the day), but he just gets so hungry so soon! (Also, he never really naps for longer than about 45 mins so his EASY cycles are quite short).

Any insight into this? Is it worth perservering with dream feed?

Thanks so much! G x

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: dream feeds and night waking
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 19:44:43 pm »
Hi :)

Sounds like you have a great sleeper there! The dreamfeed seems to be working well too. He's consistently doing a 5hr stretch without a feed which is really good at this age - 'normal' is feeding every 3-3.5hr through the night as well as in the day - and the DF is shifting that to a time when you're presumably sleeping too.

There will be 'setbacks' - growth spurts ;) and that 4am feed will likely stick around a while longer - LO's tummies can only take so much in at a time and they need plenty of calories to do all the growing they have to do.

Offline ggmummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 17:57:21 pm »
Thank you for your reply, much appreciated and that has helped me. I have another question, though, if that's okay. What I find happening is that when my baby wakes he is often not wanting his milk for about an hour, and even then he sometimes just takes a couple of ounces. Is this because of the night feed? Is there anything I can do about this? It causes difficulty because it means there's no set start to the day and the routine just goes wrong, because he'll take a small feed and then keep snacking for a few hours! Thanks so much!

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: dream feeds and night waking
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 10:31:02 am »
When is he waking for the day? Can you reduce the last night feed by an ounce every few days til you get to an amount that is enough to get him through to morning but still allows him to take a full feed when he gets up for the day?

Offline ggmummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 17:21:58 pm »
Yes, this is a good idea. Thank you, I am going to try this. His wake up varies each day, it can be between 6.30 and 8am, but soon after he's woken (45mins) he wants to go back to sleep, so i'm never really sure when he properly starts his day!