Author Topic: Extending time between feeds to stabilise routine - help!!  (Read 951 times)

Offline ggmummy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Extending time between feeds to stabilise routine - help!!
« on: January 21, 2013, 17:53:44 pm »
Hi there

I have been trying to follow EASY for past few weeks with my son who is almost 11 weeks. There are days that he eats every 2-3 hours, and during these days, he is more settled, naps better etc.

But looking back at all my notes, i can see that he doesn't really have a routine. Often, he is all over the place with his feeds.

Here is a typical example:

WU - 7.45am - Wake Up. Doesn't want to eat straight away.
E - 8.30 - 100ml.
E - 9.30 - 80ml. 
E - 10.30 - 60ml
S - 10.45 - nap for 45mins
E - 11.45 - 150ml
S - 1pm - nap 45mins
E - 2pm - 140ml
S - 3pm - nap 15mins
S - 4pm - nap 30 mins
E - 4.30pm 90ml
E - 6pm - 60ml
S - 7pm - nap 40mins
E - 7.40pm - 150ml
BT - 8pm - sleep
DF - 11pm
4am - night feed (can take up to 150ml)

In between naps and feeds, he has A time, sometimes he plays lovely, but other times he is just hungry/tired and so not really alert (unless having a good day).

I feel at a loss because I can see his routine is all over the place and I just don't know how to fix it! I try to encourage him to take more milk, so that he can go longer before his next feed, but he just refuses.

So how do I extend the times between feeds? Any ideas?

I'm trying to do shush / pat at the moment and although it has worked in the sense that he falls asleep in the crib now (not in my arms) it can take a while for him to fall asleep....so he becomes overtired....and when he's overtired he doesn't eat (even if hungry)...which makes it harder for him to sleep etc etc.

Goodness me, I sound like i'm really moaning here! He is a lovely, delicious, gorgeous little boy. There are definitely some days that are better (but if I'm honest that's because i've taken him out in the pram so he naps for longer which automatically means he has a bigger gap between feeds).

I'd so appreciate any help to get EASY on track for my little boy.

Thank you! xxx

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Extending time between feeds to stabilise routine - help!!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 21:48:27 pm »
Please provide support here:  Questions re: shush/pat for 10 week baby