Author Topic: Lactose intolerant  (Read 1595 times)

Offline pinkladyangel

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
Lactose intolerant
« on: January 22, 2013, 09:26:23 am »
Hi all
My 18 week old has been really unsettled at night time and waking every hour from 2am. Also he will only sleep for 45 minutes with his daytime naps. At first I though it was teething but we've given calpol for that pain and he's still unsettled. Then I thought he maybe playing up and was going to start the pu/pd method. Instead I observed and listened to his cries. He so wants to sleep but something is upsetting him.
I'm beginning to wonder if it's his milk. Before my gp put him on sma lf his symptoms were exactly the same as what they are now although he doesn't have diahorrea. Is it possible for the milk to stop working? He's been on it for about 8 weeks altogether and the last week and a half has been horrendous. I've also noticed that the sma lf has lactose in it albeit it is only a small amount 6mg I think. Would that make a difference after all this time?
I'm at my wits end. I want my happy baby back.

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: Lactose intolerant
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 13:17:21 pm »
Food allergies and intolerances can start so small as to not be noticeable until later when there is gut damage and then the symptoms can become much more pronounced, either gradually or relatively suddenly.

It may be lactose, or if there is dairy in the milk in general, it could be a dairy intolerance (which is usually to the milk proteins, like casein, than the lactose itself).

The only way to really know for sure is to try a completely dairy-free milk. The downside of that is that often those are soy-based, and soy protein is similar enough to milk protein that if your LO is sensitive to one he may react to the other as well. :(

I'm not really familiar with the different milks/formulas out there now as mine are quite a bit older, plus I'm in the States (I'm guessing you're in Britain?) so I"ll defer to others as to what milks might have which substances in them.

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 17:00:15 pm »
Where are you located hun?  It does sound more like a protein issue... lactose is quite immediate whereas protein can certainly take time to develop.

Most countries have Nutramigen as a first attempt for milk free formula.

Offline pinkladyangel

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 09:14:29 am »
Thanks for that
We now have a prescription for neocate. Our lo has had 3 feeds of it so far and is not impressed. Its disgusting but if it works then thats what he has to have. The only prob is he normally has 7oz formula 4 times a day and he's not taking that much anymore. He had 5 out of the 7oz yesterday and I thought this morning he would be hungry but he only had 3 and a half oz. He can afford to lose a little weight but obviously I don't want him to lose too much. I've read that some people mix with old formula until its reduced to the new formula but I really don't want to give him stuff that I know is making him ill.
Anymore thoughts?

Offline pinkladyangel

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 09:15:51 am »
Sorry Kara forgot to put that I'm in UK.

Offline Me.and.my.two.boys

• Showing Appreciation 41
  • Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 11:45:30 am »
I'm still bf but we have neocate here too due to MPI and it is disgusting :( DS2 actually takes less of it than he would if it was EBM but he doesnt seem to mind it I suppose you just have to keep an eye on him.

If you have been giving the neocate on its own I wouldn't go back and mix it now but that's just my opinion and its only really founded by my thinking that he would get used to it. Maybe if he starts refusing feeds or only takes 3oz each feed then it might be something to think about x
Kelly, mum of two amazing boys 2008 and 2012

Offline pinkladyangel

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 13:21:16 pm »
I'm thinking he's realised that thats all there is lol. He ended up having his 11 o clock feed a little earlier and drank 6oz. Fingers crossed.

Offline Me.and.my.two.boys

• Showing Appreciation 41
  • Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 20:16:22 pm »
yay :) good news
Kelly, mum of two amazing boys 2008 and 2012