Author Topic: 6 w/o habitual waking or hunger at 3 am  (Read 724 times)

Offline shirat

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 22, 2013, 19:42:10 pm »
my lo is 6 weeks and has been waking at around 3 am every night for the past 2 1/2 weeks. Sometimes i feed her right away and sometimes i just play the "paci game" for up to an hour before feeding her, so that she would wake at 7 instead of 6 for her next feed. When she wakes at 3 she is not crying like she is hungry. she is just moving around, grunting, groaning, making whining noises etc, so a paci gets her right back to sleep for a few minutes, and then i replug again etc which goes on and on for about an hr when i would then just feed her. do you think its hunger or habitual waking now? i tried feeding her last feed at 8 one night, another night 9, and another night 10ish- no matter when she ate last she still woke around 3. i am so tired and need to figure this out!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: 6 w/o habitual waking or hunger at 3 am
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 02:47:20 am »
6 weeks old is really too young to worry about habitual wakings.  Nighttime calories are really important to tiny babies and feeding them is generally the quickest way to get back to sleep.  When mine were that age, I could have spent an hour (or more!) replugging, soothing, etc, or I could just feed and be back in my bed within 20 minutes or so (well, maybe a touch longer at that age).  Honestly, if she's going from BT to 3 AM at 6 weeks that's pretty amazing -- and then it's totally normal to get your next feed 3 hours later.  :)