Author Topic: Please help with toddler meal times  (Read 1830 times)

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Please help with toddler meal times
« on: January 24, 2013, 21:45:33 pm »
I have 2 year old and 3.5 year old. Meal times are just becoming really stressful as DD is copying her older DS so when he messes around she copies. The biggest problem is either refusing the food or constant getting up from the table. I do think that it generally works better when I just let them get on with it rather than hover over them trying to get them to eat but sometimes I get so frustrated I tend to rush meal times. My general way of dealing with it is that as long as they have a bit I give them a yogurt. The problem is that I think i give them a yogurt or dessert too easily as I just want to get the meal time over with.
I am now thinking that I should just put the meal in front if them, give them up to 20 mins to eat it even if this means them getting up and down from the table. I also think maybe I should not give in and give dessert if they haven't eaten it all? Man I'm confused!!

So questions:
1) what should I do about them constantly getting up from the table? Am I expecting too much at their age to expect them to stay put?
2) should I only give dessert if they eat all their tea?
3) is it a good idea to try and leave them to it ? I don't mean to leave the room but just to not sit there or hover over them making a big deal?

Please someone help me get through my very stressful meal times.

Thanks in advance

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Please help with toddler meal times
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 10:01:25 am »
I personally don't think desert should be used as a reward. I also don't think it is a good idea to give desert only if they easy all their meal. I don't expect my children to eat all of their meal and never have. I think it is good for them to be able to tell when they are full and to stop eating. Most adults lose this ability and that is not really a good thing. Lots of children go through this stage and out just takes time. Everybody has their own views on how to tackle it. As long as there is nothing medically wrong a child will not starve themselves. My dd went through a fussy stage and we realised after a while out was because she was preferring finger food. I ported healthy finger food like cut up chicken breast, cheese, fruit etc but I would also offer something she did not happily eat. I have to say she is now a fantastic eater. My ds was very current as he had multiple food allergies and a severe food aversion due to connecting pain with food. Out took a long time and a lot of patience with him. He is now a good eater though and has quite a varied diet.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Please help with toddler meal times
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 23:09:31 pm »
I personally don't think desert should be used as a reward. I also don't think it is a good idea to give desert only if they easy all their meal. I don't expect my children to eat all of their meal and never have. I think it is good for them to be able to tell when they are full and to stop eating. Most adults lose this ability and that is not really a good thing. Lots of children go through this stage and out just takes time. Everybody has their own views on how to tackle it. As long as there is nothing medically wrong a child will not starve themselves.
I agree with all of this.
I have also found with my DS that if he is very tired he is unlikely to eat much in the evening.  Because of this I decided to turn our meals around a bit and now focus on protein for breakfast (when he has a very healthy appetite) so that I am not concerned if he doesn't want much of his evening meal.  I find I can balance out his diet a bit better this way.

Every house is different with house rules and food rules etc, here's my take
1) what should I do about them constantly getting up from the table? Am I expecting too much at their age to expect them to stay put?
I do not think you are expecting too much.  My LO has always been expected to stay at the table to eat.  The only time he leaves mid-meal is for the toilet, this was the case even before 1 yr old and whether he used his nappy or the potty, he always preferred to leave his meal to do his business and after clean up I would let him back to continue his meal.
I don't expect my child to stay at the table as long as the adults because it would be too long for him and I think that's asking too much, but he stays until he is full and asks to leave.  That's his meal time over.  I don't allow back and forth from the table.  The only times he would eat away from the table is for snacks.

2) should I only give dessert if they eat all their tea?
Like pp said.  I don't use desert or any food as reward.  I decide what is a balanced diet and he is offered that.

3) is it a good idea to try and leave them to it ? I don't mean to leave the room but just to not sit there or hover over them making a big deal?
Are you not having your own meal with them?  I think children benefit from modelling of table/meal behaviour, children generally like to copy.  Perhaps your 2 yo is copying your 3.5yo because there is no other behaviour being modelled?
It is very rare for my DS to have a meal that I am not part of.  We set the table and sit together for our meals.  If there is a time I really cannot eat the same meal I sit with him and have a drink but this is very rare as I think it is important to eat together.  I don't 'hover' over DS I just let him get on with eating, we chat about the day or our plans etc, I ensure he has help if needed with his cutlery etc and we talk about how the table is set and cleared up at the end of a meal and so on, so that the niceties of meal times is gradually introduced and practised.