Author Topic: baby sign language  (Read 1849 times)

Offline MommaStorms

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
baby sign language
« on: January 29, 2013, 14:34:19 pm »
Anyone doing baby sign language? When do I add new signs? I've read to do it when they learn the ones you have been doing but they won't start using them until 1 year... so wait 6 months? I know he recognizes them! He just doesn't use them yet.
-Laura

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: baby sign language
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 14:35:28 pm »
I think you can add them as soon as you like. The main thing is using them consistently. There's a thread here for support/chat: Baby Sign Language Thread #4

Offline MommaStorms

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 15:27:19 pm »
thanks!
-Laura

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 16:03:55 pm »
We used to go to Tiny Talk classes and they did new signs every week for a 10 week term then repeated. We did basics like, eat, milk, all done, more, bath etc and then subject specific ones like animals, at the park, clothes etc. Our teacher would add in extra signs for the families that had been going for a while. The used the signs with objects to hold and as part of singing nursery rhymes.

We started DS at 4 months and he actually signed milk at 5.5 months and started signing things like "more" and "all done" around 10 months. DD started at 3 weeks old but we didn't do it as consistently with her. We did love the classes though and made some good friends!

Laura